1. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 03:33
    @fmf said
    The antidote to feelings of "hate" is familiarity and the rollback of ignorance, perhaps.
    I think you may be correct...it is likely the reason that great philosophers such as Goethe were proponents of travel as a means to increase exposure (read, familiarity) as a way to promote tolerance.
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 03:39
    @fmf said
    In the currently highly polarized public domain and discourse in the U.S., the notion of "hatred" [and accusations attendant thereto] seem to be in very common currency.
    Indeed, ignorance purchases bigotry and violence and at common market prices.

Perhaps that is too obscure. It seems that common sense and education have been overlooked because they require reason and effort...not a price some are willing to pay.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 03:42
    @fmf said
    What do "hate", "hatred" and "hateful" mean to you?

Have these words lost their meaning through overly casual and inaccurate use?

Are they too often simply used as hyperbole to spice up expressions of disagreement or disapproval or irritation?

Or do they have a particular and deliberate meaning when applied to people, their actions, or ideas?

When and why do you use the words "hate", "hatred" and "hateful"?
    Context matters, and many words have more than one meaning. My saying "I hate Brussels' Sprouts" does not deprive the word of its power for other uses such as, "I hate pedophiles and rapists".

Personally, I do not hate any person. Even for evil actions, I try to confine hatred to the action and not the actor. Now, it is possible that, if someone grievously wronged me or someone close to me, I might hate them. I would have to work at letting that go, eventually. The emotion is too poisonous to the soul to leave in there.
  4. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 03:46
    greens and reds
    but not too many
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 03:51
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Personally, I do not hate any person. Even for evil actions, I try to confine hatred to the action and not the actor.
    Do you think this attitude of yours is in any way a result of growing up in a culture imbued with religious values or do you think it is an unexceptional and understandable product of a more humanist outlook?
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 04:20
    @fmf said
    Do you think this attitude of yours is in any way a result of growing up in a culture imbued with religious values or do you think it is an unexceptional and understandable product of a more humanist outlook?
    Some of both.

A common saying in my religious community was, "love the sinner, but hate the sin". While this statement is a bit too extreme on both sides, at least it gets the part about avoiding hating actual people right. Not all brands of Christianity avoid that part.

Outside of Christianity, I refined the view, with some help from Buddhist thought. I feel no obligation to love a serial killer, but it is helpful to remember not to descend into rants about how wicked the guy is, because that basically takes the suffering he has inflicted on both himself, and others, and keeps spreading it around. Far better to cut it off before it does any extra damage!

As far as "sin", I have never cared for that word, because it paints all moral wrongs with the same brush. (Some things that were considered to be "sins", I did not think were morally wrong at all. Example: man and woman sleep together 1 day before their wedding night.) Simply put, minor moral wrongs don't seem to deserve hatred, period.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 07:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 07:16
    @caesar-salad said
    How did you turn out to be such low-key slime?
    “Slime”.

Now there’s an interesting choice of adjective. There is a now banned poster who used to frequently call FMF “slime” especially after he had had a few drinks on a weekend.

Are you building up to a revelation or will you just become MSK?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 07:17
    @caesar-salad said
    Who cares? You and divegeester have already shown your true colors. However, I don't understand why Ghost of a Duke would choose to involve himself in your sordid charade.
    Yes more of the olde poster here too.

I sense another mass deletion coming up 😆
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 07:18
    @caesar-salad said
    Then I offer this warning: Don't bother playing with FMF and divegeester. There is something wrong with them and they are not interested in a sincere discussion.
    Copy/paste repetition...now who used to do that...?

😉
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 07:19
    @caesar-salad said
    Are you secretly Ghislaine Maxwell?
    Projecting about hidden identities??
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Jul '20 02:15
    @divegeester said
    Yes more of the olde poster here too.

I sense another mass deletion coming up 😆
    Yeah whatever, Pugsley.
  13. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Jul '20 02:251 edit

Removed by poster

14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '20 11:36
    @caesar-salad removed their quoted post
    What about lynch mobbing, ever been involved in one of them, thought about them or measured other people’s morality by them?
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    11 Jul '20 23:041 edit
    @divegeester said
    What about lynch mobbing, ever been involved in one of them, thought about them or measured other people’s morality by them?
    What a question.

Were you "resting in Christ" when you wrote that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree