1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 00:14
    What do "hate", "hatred" and "hateful" mean to you?

Have these words lost their meaning through overly casual and inaccurate use?

Are they too often simply used as hyperbole to spice up expressions of disagreement or disapproval or irritation?

Or do they have a particular and deliberate meaning when applied to people, their actions, or ideas?

When and why do you use the words "hate", "hatred" and "hateful"?
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 00:48
    @fmf said
    What do "hate", "hatred" and "hateful" mean to you?

Have these words lost their meaning through overly casual and inaccurate use?

Are they too often simply used as hyperbole to spice up expressions of disagreement or disapproval or irritation?

Or do they have a particular and deliberate meaning when applied to people, their actions, or ideas?

When and why do you use the words "hate", "hatred" and "hateful"?
    How did you turn out to be such low-key slime?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 01:14
    @caesar-salad said
    How did you turn out to be such low-key slime?
    It's a question that ought to have been posed on the Debates Forum too. However, that is a matter for those who post there.
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 01:33
    @fmf said
    It's a question that ought to have been posed on the Debates Forum too. However, that is a matter for those who post there.
    You have your own choices to make, of course.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 01:38
    @caesar-salad said
    You have your own choices to make, of course.
    Yes. A discussion about what the word "hate" means and how words derived from it are used could be interesting. There is apparently a lot of religious hatred in the word, but words connected with the notion of "hate" are commonly used right down to the interpersonal level in the context of conflict and disagreement. It could be an interesting thing to discuss.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 01:51
    @fmf said
    Yes. A discussion about what the word "hate" means and how words derived from it are used could be interesting. There is apparently a lot of religious hatred in the word, but words connected with the notion of "hate" are commonly used right down to the interpersonal level in the context of conflict and disagreement. It could be an interesting thing to discuss.
    And obviously a rather verbose and empty one to boot!
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 02:09
    @caesar-salad said
    And obviously a rather verbose and empty one to boot!
    I disagree. It's not empty. And it's succinct.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 02:14
    @fmf said
    I disagree. It's not empty. And it's succinct.
    Please be seated.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 02:20
    For example, are there certain situations when "hate" or "hatred" is the appropriate reaction and stance? Is it morally sound to hate paedophiles, or psychopaths, or hardened, repeat-offending criminals, or - say - people who believe in abortion rights?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 02:24
    Grampy Bobby often used to claim that he did not hate anyone. Is that [1] a virtuous stance, and is it [2] a realistic stance [given the reality of human nature]
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 02:25
    @fmf said
    For example, are there certain situations when "hate" or "hatred" is the appropriate reaction and stance? Is it morally sound to hate paedophiles, or psychopaths, or hardened, repeat-offending criminals, or - say - people who believe in abortion rights?
    Who cares? You and divegeester have already shown your true colors. However, I don't understand why Ghost of a Duke would choose to involve himself in your sordid charade.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 02:26
    @caesar-salad said
    Who cares?
    That remains to be seen.
  13. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 02:29
    @fmf said
    That remains to be seen.
    Then I offer this warning: Don't bother playing with FMF and divegeester. There is something wrong with them and they are not interested in a sincere discussion.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 02:30
    @caesar-salad said
    Then I offer this warning: Don't bother playing with FMF and divegeester. There is something wrong with them and they are not interested in a sincere discussion.
    Your contributions to the discussion of this topic I've raised don't seem very sincere so far.
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    06 Jul '20 02:31
    @fmf said
    Your contributions to the discussion of this topic I've raised don't seem very sincere so far.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree