The Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

medullah pointed out 'last night', quite rightly, that Muslims also venerate Jesus ~ as a prophet and, according to their beliefs [rather like the Christians], as the one who will return to the world for the "end times" when he will restore justice and vanquish the Antichrist.

Meanwhile, the Jews saw Jesus as an imposter and fake.

So it got me thinking about the "Holy Spirit". Christians here mostly claim that it "dwells" in them and causes some kind of supernatural transformation.

The Holy Spirit in Islam is called "Ruh al-Qudus". It was the Holy Spirit, in the form of Gabriel, that is believed to have appeared to Muhammed and who was the inspiration behind his subsequent writings which were to get the worship of the God of Moses and Abraham back on track after the mistakes of Judaism and Christianity.

For Muslims, the Holy Spirit represents "salvation for all creation in terms of judgment ... it is like a spirit which gives life". [I Googled it]

In Indonesia, Christians call The Holy Spirit "Roh Kudus" [in the Indonesian language]. Roh means spirit and kudus is the word for holy.

In Hebrew, it's called "Ruach ha-kodesh" and, in Judaism, it is believed to be "the divine force, quality, and influence of God over the universe or over God's creatures".

I accept that Christians, Jews and Muslims sincerely believe that something supernatural is working in them or affecting them.

What are the corresponding attributes in those who lack theist beliefs? Benevolence? Philanthropy? Empathy? Mercy?

Moves
15 Jan 22

@fmf said
medullah pointed out 'last night', quite rightly, that Muslims also venerate Jesus ~ as a prophet and, according to their beliefs [rather like the Christians], as the one who will return to the world for the "end times" when he will restore justice and vanquish the Antichrist.

So it got me thinking about the "Holy Spir ...[text shortened]... orresponding attributes in those who lack theist beliefs? Benevolence? Philanthropy? Empathy? Mercy?
Maybe sparklers and joy-buzzers?

I don't think there is much of a correspondence or correlation that could easily be mapped between those who believe in and invite spiritual infestations and those who do not.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 22

@fmf said

So it got me thinking about the "Holy Spir ...[text shortened]... orresponding attributes in those who lack theist beliefs? Benevolence? Philanthropy? Empathy? Mercy?
<<What are the corresponding attributes in those who lack theist beliefs? Benevolence? Philanthropy? Empathy? Mercy?>>

Probably all of the above.

But because atheists don’t believe in an afterlife, their “good works” will solely concern addressing immediate needs in the present world, while a believer’s “good works” will include addressing immediate needs *and* helping to bring forth “eternal fruit.”

A believer believes in saving souls and that counts not only as good works but was a command from Jesus Christ.

An atheist obviously does not believe in saving souls.

Moves
15 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
<<What are the corresponding attributes in those who lack theist beliefs? Benevolence? Philanthropy? Empathy? Mercy?>>

Probably all of the above.

But because atheists don’t believe in an afterlife, their “good works” will solely concern addressing immediate needs in the present world, while a believer’s “good works” will include addressing immediate needs *and* helping t ...[text shortened]... works but was a command from Jesus Christ.

An atheist obviously does not believe in saving souls.
Does a smarty-pants like you really believe in the afterlife?
And if so, why so?

Also, do you believe in this life?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Does a smarty-pants like you really believe in the afterlife?
And if so, why so?

Also, do you believe in this life?
Because I believe the Holy Bible.

And obviously I believe in this life. A better question would be what do I believe is the purpose of this life.

Moves
15 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Because I believe the Holy Bible.

And obviously I believe in this life. A better question would be what do I believe is the purpose of this life.
I think an even better question would be:

If you really were RomansWhatever before you got bumped off the site, why haven't you made any attempt to make amends or to apologize, instead of trundling on to prove your own petty cleverness?

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
But because atheists don’t believe in an afterlife, their “good works” will solely concern addressing immediate needs in the present world, while a believer’s “good works” will include addressing immediate needs *and* helping to bring forth “eternal fruit.”A believer believes in saving souls and that counts not only as good works but was a command from Jesus Christ.
You have, on numerous occasions, attributed your behaviour and demeanour here to the "Holy Spirit indwelling" you. Do you see your activity on this forum as being an endeavour to "save souls"? Do you see your posting as "good works"?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
I think an even better question would be:

If you really were RomansWhatever before you got bumped off the site, why haven't you made any attempt to make amends or to apologize, instead of trundling on to prove your own petty cleverness?
Yawn.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 22

@fmf said
You have, on numerous occasions, attributed your behaviour and demeanour here to the "Holy Spirit indwelling" you. Do you see your activity on this forum as being an endeavour to "save souls"? Do you see your posting as "good works"?
You really can’t think of any other direction to go into than this?

Did I answer your OP so thoroughly that this is what you’re left with?

Or is this yet another attempt, much like Ghost’s prior failed attempt, to get me to reveal personal information so you can troll me with it?

You guys are hilarious 😂

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
You really can’t think of any other direction to go into than this?
The thread's direction is about how the supposed influence of "The Holy Spirit" manifests itself in those who claim to be influenced by it.

Moves
15 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Yawn.
Well? Answer tomorrow if you need to catch up on your sleep.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 22

@fmf said
The thread's direction is about how the supposed influence of "The Holy Spirit" manifests itself in those who claim to be influenced by it.
Did you forget your own OP?

Here it is, for your edification:

<<I accept that Christians, Jews and Muslims sincerely believe that something supernatural is working in them or affecting them.

What are the corresponding attributes in those who lack theist beliefs? Benevolence? Philanthropy? Empathy? Mercy?>>

I don’t see anything in your OP about “how the supposed influence of ‘The Holy Spirit’ manifests itself in those who claim to be influenced by it.”

Nice try, kiddo

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Did I answer your OP so thoroughly that this is what you’re left with?
Aside from what a Christian posts on a forum like this or statements about what he or she professes to believe, what evidence could there be to substantiate their claims that that person has been supernaturally transformed by "The Holy Spirit"?

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
I don’t see anything in your OP about “how the supposed influence of ‘The Holy Spirit’ manifests itself in those who claim to be influenced by it.”
It's quite clearly a key part of the direction of this topic.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Well? Answer tomorrow if you need to catch up on your sleep.
Why don’t you give me a few weeks? That question’s so deep I may need to go to a mountain retreat and do some yoga to arrive at the enlightenment needed to answer it