Revelations 20:12

Revelations 20:12

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Jul 06

Originally posted by dottewell
The meaning seems perfectly clear. It is entirely in accordance with simple (god-given, if you like) common sense.
Straight-forward this, then:

"If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.
And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,
where " 'their worm does not die,
and the fire is not quenched.'"

d

Moves
04 Jul 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Straight-forward this, then:

"If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.
And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
And if your eye causes you t ...[text shortened]... rown into hell,
where " 'their worm does not die,
and the fire is not quenched.'"
It's equally obvious that that is metaphorical. Ask around if you don't believe me.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Jul 06

It's equally obvious that that is metaphorical. Ask around if you don't believe me.
Wait a tic. What happened to straight-forward? How do you know it's metaphorical? Have ye a secret decoder ring? Anything from Jesus' words tell you to interpret as a metaphor? You get the point.

d

Moves
04 Jul 06
1 edit

Wait a tic. What happened to straight-forward? How do you know it's metaphorical? Have ye a secret decoder ring? Anything from Jesus' words tell you to interpret as a metaphor? You get the point.
One "clue" to its metaphorical status that seems to have passed you by is that it is absurd to think that a hand can literally make a person sin.

I said "common sense", which I am employing here again. You said "straight-forward", by which you seem to mean "literal".

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Jul 06

One "clue" to its metaphorical status that seems to have passed you by is that it is absurd to think that a hand can literally make a person sin.

I said "common sense", which I am employing here again. You said "straight-forward", by which you seem to mean "literal".
The intent of the passage has not escaped me, despite your intimations otherwise. The point is that one must be able to differentiate the categorical nature of each passage, among other things.

BTW, if your hand was making some unacceptable practice possible, surely cutting the hand off would make the practice impossible.

d

Moves
04 Jul 06
1 edit

The intent of the passage has not escaped me, despite your intimations otherwise. The point is that one must be able to differentiate the categorical nature of each passage, among other things.

BTW, if your hand was making some unacceptable practice possible, surely cutting the hand off would make the practice impossible.
Your hand would still not be causing you to sin.

I'm not suggesting you don't understand the passage. I'm pointing out one obvious reason to take it as metaphorical (no decoder ring required).

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Jul 06

Your hand would still not be causing you to sin.

I'm not suggesting you don't understand the passage. I'm pointing out one obvious reason to take it as metaphorical (no decoder ring required).
You'd be surprised at how many people attempt to take things literally, as No1 is suggesting, as well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Jul 06

You'd be surprised at how many people attempt to take things literally, as No1 is suggesting, as well.
I find it bizarre that you strain to interpret Jesus' words as entirely metaphorical while believing in the Genesis stories as actual events. I think your "MetaPhorDar" antenna needs a serious tune up.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Jul 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
I find it bizarre that you strain to interpret Jesus' words as entirely metaphorical while believing in the Genesis stories as actual events. I think your "MetaPhorDar" antenna needs a serious tune up.
Coming from the king of contortion, that's akin to the pot calling the kettle a darker shade of white.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
04 Jul 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Maybe that's because he's an idiot.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Jul 06

Originally posted by frogstomp
Maybe that's because he's an idiot.
Hey, No1: you left your lap dog behind during your hasty exit.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
04 Jul 06

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Jul 06

as I said before, silly boy, you are a turd.
Your command of the English language is astounding. The pack of wolves which raised you is to be commended.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
04 Jul 06
1 edit

Your command of the English language is astounding. The pack of wolves which raised you is to be commended.
OK thats the second Hoe thing you said to me.
One more and subsection 3a)???

edit Phlabby????

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Jul 06

OK thats the second Hoe thing you said to me.
One more and subsection 3a)???

edit Phlabby????
I doubt you'll get very far on that one, young man, especially in light of your generous use of such insults as evidenced in your above post. Quick! It's not too late to edit out the use of the word 'turd!'