Revelations 20:12

Revelations 20:12

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
29 Jun 06

What does it mean? Freaky? RBHill? Thanks, I need the answer for my Bible Studies class.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by David C
What does it mean? Freaky? RBHill? Thanks, I need the answer for my Bible Studies class.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Sounds like Judgement Day, David. Or pay day. Or payback day. Or going forth by day day.

m

Moves
29 Jun 06

http://www.ccel.org/wwsb/Revelation
www.sermoncentral.com
Punch in the verse you are interested in. These are mostly sermons, but some have good explanations.

Hope this helps.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Sounds like Judgement Day, David. Or pay day. Or payback day. Or going forth by day day.
It certainly does, Bosseman, it certainly does. What happens to those who had Faith in the non-meritorious work of Jesus Christ on the Cross, but didn't perform the aforementioned and apparently required Works?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Jun 06

It certainly does, Bosseman, it certainly does. What happens to those who had Faith in the non-meritorious work of Jesus Christ on the Cross, but didn't perform the aforementioned and apparently required Works?
Maybe I've got the whole thing back to front, or hanging upside down, or in some other painful, unnatural posture, but talk of Work always makes me think of a Contract, which should be available for all parties to peruse. Are all the relevant documents available?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Maybe I've got the whole thing back to front, or hanging upside down, or in some other painful, unnatural posture, but talk of Work always makes me think of a Contract, which should be available for all parties to peruse. Are all the relevant documents available?
I'll ask my Sunday School teacher if she has any copies tucked away. Maybe Lucy's Hamster has them in .PDF?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
29 Jun 06

I am curious as to how you think the Christian church might be different if the book of Revelation did not exist?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
I am curious as to how you think the Christian church might be different if the book of Revelation did not exist?
Higher degree of lucidty? I dunno, I haven't been indoctrinated per se. What's your opinion, Good Reverend?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
29 Jun 06

Higher degree of lucidty? I dunno, I haven't been indoctrinated per se. What's your opinion, Good Reverend?
There seems to be a segment of Christendom that loves Revelations more than the most basic teachings of Jesus. I will respond some more to this later.

w

Moves
30 Jun 06
1 edit

What it says is that those who are not written in the book of life are not saved. You assume that your name is or is not written in the book of life via your works alone. This is incorrect. Rather, you are saved by grace and your works should follow naturally. The works in and of themselves do not save you. Notice that there are no works in particular that need to be accomplished to get into heaven.

M

Moves
30 Jun 06

Originally posted by whodey
What it says is that those who are not written in the book of life are not saved. You assume that your name is or is not written in the book of life via your works alone. This is incorrect. Rather, you are saved by grace and your works should follow naturally. The works in and of themselves do not save you. Notice that there are no works in particular that need to be accomplished to get into heaven.
I agree with you whodey.

Jesus was asked which of the commandments was the greatest. His response was "to love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your body and all your soul. The second is like it, to love your neighbor as yourself."

If you look at what Jesus is recorded as having said, he speaks more about the Kingdom of God (or Kingdom of Heaven, depending on which Gospel) than anything else. If we put the two together (and I think we should) then the Kingdom of God is about our relationship to God and each other.

Jesus asked us to follow him. Interestingly enough, he never asks us to worship him, only to worship the Father. If we follow Jesus (and follow his example) we will find ourselves helping those in greatest need and loving those who need it the most. This is the works part. Paul speaks of the "fruits of the spirit." If we truly love God with everything that we have then it will show up in patience, love, hope, faith, etc.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
30 Jun 06

Originally posted by MythicalSkippy
I agree with you whodey.

Jesus was asked which of the commandments was the greatest. His response was "to love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your body and all your soul. The second is like it, to love your neighbor as yourself."

If you look at what Jesus is recorded as having said, he speaks more about the Kingdom o ...[text shortened]... e God with everything that we have then it will show up in patience, love, hope, faith, etc.
What about people who are born to a different faith, or who are never introduced to christianity? Seems a bit harsh from an omnibenevolent god to send 'em to burn!

w

Moves
30 Jun 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
What about people who are born to a different faith, or who are never introduced to christianity? Seems a bit harsh from an omnibenevolent god to send 'em to burn!
You make it sound as though this is God's fault. Have you ever considered it was the fault of his followers that were commanded to get out the message?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
30 Jun 06

You make it sound as though this is God's fault. Have you ever considered it was the fault of his followers that were commanded to get out the message?
So it's YOUR fault then. Well, that's YOU off the heaven list.

M

Moves
30 Jun 06

Ever heard of personal responsibility?

The evidence of God's existance is all around you. "The heavens declare the glory of God..." There are biblical examples of people who's faith in God "saved" them. Abraham was one of those. It's not the fault of the followers. It's the fault of the individual if he does not seek out God.

As for it being harsh, it's only harsh if you deny God. There are consequences to our actions. In the great game of life, we don't get a "do-over" once we die. We get plenty of opportunity to get it right before death. Those are the rules.