Revelations 20:12

Revelations 20:12

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jul 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Such a naive and simplistic view of Scripture will land anyone so encumbered in the nearest mental hospital. While seemingly one-dimensional and straight-forward, the speeches within the Gospels are some of the most difficult passages within all of the Scriptures.

Without a proper perspective, the reader is bound to fall into all types of error, as evidenced here by no1. Proper exegetical treatment is imperative to cohesive understanding.
A Secret Decoder Ring that lie dormant waiting for 20th Century American Fundamentalists to "discover" it! Of course, Jesus couldn't have possibly meant what he said; how absurd!

Jesus' speeches are "difficult" only if you want to fix them in a Procrustean theological bed invented long after he lived. Sell your snake oil elsewhere.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jul 06

Exactly right. Ask, seek, knock.

"When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables.
He told them, "The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables
so that,
"'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
and ever hearing but never underst ...[text shortened]... n he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything."
Mark 4:10-12 and 33,34
PSST! Jesus was talking to his disciples in Matthew 25. The passage starts in Matthew 24 with:

And Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way; and his disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
03 Jul 06
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
A Secret Decoder Ring that lie dormant waiting for 20th Century American Fundamentalists to "discover" it! Of course, Jesus couldn't have possibly meant what he said; how absurd!

Jesus' speeches are "difficult" only if you want to fix them in a Procrustean theological bed invented long after he lived. Sell your snake oil elsewhere.
It's a pain in the butt to have some snippity turd that writes a hell of a lot better than his thoughts , to argue with, isn't it?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Jul 06

Originally posted by frogstomp
It's a pain in the butt to have some snippity turd that writes a hell of a lot better than his thoughts , to argue with, isn't it?
My thoughts have never been very good at writing, so my turd has no difficulty besting them.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Jul 06

Ironic how you insist that one could live a life based on a straight-forward reading of the red-letters, and yet you so readily dismiss those red-letters which contradict such a stance. Truly, how absurd.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Jul 06

"Procrustean." That gets my rec.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
03 Jul 06

My thoughts have never been very good at writing, so my turd has no difficulty besting them.
nah, you turd. that didnt come close to turning that around.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Jul 06

Originally posted by frogstomp
nah, you turd. that didnt come close to turning that around.
You are correct, sir. Your original comment did not require turning; it was self-incriminating all on its own.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jul 06

Ironic how you insist that one could live a life based on a straight-forward reading of the red-letters, and yet you so readily dismiss those red-letters which contradict such a stance. Truly, how absurd.
Please quote a "red letter" that says you should disregard the plain words of Jesus and wait 1900 years for someone to explain them to you.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
03 Jul 06

You are correct, sir. Your original comment did not require turning; it was self-incriminating all on its own.
If thats the best you can do,silly boy, I suggest you stick your nose back up your fundament and look up some more fundamentalist crap to write.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Jul 06

Please quote a "red letter" that says you should disregard the plain words of Jesus and wait 1900 years for someone to explain them to you.
How about the rest of the passage that you are conveniently ignoring?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Jul 06
1 edit

How about the rest of the passage that you are conveniently ignoring?
In my Bible, Matthew 25 ends at verse 46. How far does it go in the Bible only available to those who know the secret handshake and the silly walk?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Jul 06

Mark 4:21: 1 And he said unto them, Is the lamp brought to be put under the bushel, or under the bed, and not to be put on the stand?

w

Moves
04 Jul 06
2 edits

When I read posts like this, it makes me wonder if some of the so-called "Christians" on this site have ever even read the Gospels. They seem to rely entirely on "crib notes" from various Fundamentalists while ignoring Jesus' words.

whodey: It does not list a specific work does it?

Yes, it does.

for I was hungry, and ye gave me to eat; ou to what it actually says. Try reading it free of them; maybe you'll learn something.
So tell me, which specific work got them into heaven? Perhaps it was a culmination of all the works listed. Its truly a pity then that Christ went to the cross for no reason at all, no? Why do we need the cross if all we have to do are a few petty works. Tell me then, how the theif on the cross that died next to him escaped eternal death? Perhaps the Romans allowed him to get down from the cross he was dying on and gave him some time to fulfill all of those works before he died.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Jul 06

Originally posted by whodey
So tell me, which specific work got them into heaven? Perhaps it was a culmination of all the works listed. Its truly a pity then that Christ went to the cross for no reason at all, no? Why do we need the cross if all we have to do are a few petty works. Tell me then, how the theif on the cross that died next to him escaped eternal death? Perhaps the Rom ...[text shortened]... m the cross he was dying on and gave him some time to fulfill all of those works before he died.
Assuming the thief on the cross story isn't merely a later addition as many theologians believe (it is directly contradicted by the other Gospel versions), the following acts are analogus to his actions:

I was sick, and ye visited me; I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

To you, Jesus' life meant nothing and only his death has any significance. Death worshippers; how primitive!