Psychiatry is a form of religion.

Psychiatry is a form of religion.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 May 17

Originally posted by Executioner Brand
In my country people are forced to have their brains electrocuted. What are you learning from that or forcing people on medications that limit their ability to feel and live a life. And why were 1/4 of all people who killed themselves in my country in the care of mental health and medicated. It sounds like a false belief meds actually help people w ...[text shortened]... of course the meds actually do something else viable but I doubt it or we would've heard by now.
What country do you live in that forces shock treatment? I thought that went out decades ago. That is pretty disgusting.

Moves
06 May 17

Originally posted by sonhouse
What country do you live in that forces shock treatment? I thought that went out decades ago. That is pretty disgusting.
No country i'm aware of.

Grass Farmer

Moves
07 May 17
2 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
NZ
What is different about electrocuting a person's brain or giving them these meds when they both damage your brain in a choice you are not allowed to make which is decided by third world country immigrants from the likes of South Africa and India who are not very suitable in their positions as they can hardly speak the language. There is little wonder a quarter of all suicides here are mental health patients in the care of people who know nothing about this country or it's people.

http://www.lakealicehospital.com/history.html

It never went out it's just they don't get other patients to electrocute your genitals to heal you of mental illness.

Grass Farmer

Moves
07 May 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
No country i'm aware of.
For an "expert" you tend to know very little.

Grass Farmer

Moves
07 May 17

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Counselling is not for those that take meds only.
I had counselling for several years without meds.

As for god, I can go either way. Except the Christian version of course 🙂

edit: I had been on 4 different types of meds for my "schizophrenia" which turned out to be Anxiety disorder. No of them helped. I was counselled for 4 years after that an ...[text shortened]... xtra meds for my gp to write up. It's been nearly 4 years since I've seen a quack professionally
If you wanna be a part of the mental health system which is paid for by the government you will have to be taking medications. Unless I'm going to be paying for it, it isn't my choice.

Most of my meetings with any psychiatrist usually end up in arguments rather then any form of benefit to me through counselling. I watch their patients knife people up, burn an 80 year old lady's face with coffee and jump off the bridge when they stop their meds. I don't have much faith in them. It's a religion I do NOT like or believe.

Moves
07 May 17

For an "expert" you tend to know very little.
Admittedly, I'm not an expert on New Zealand.

Grass Farmer

Moves
07 May 17

Admittedly, I'm not an expert on New Zealand.
You should know about your religion. Are you a believer that electrocution heals a person of mental illness? Why should it be forced on others?

Grass Farmer

Moves
07 May 17
1 edit

You should know about your religion. Are you a believer that electrocution heals a person of mental illness? Why should it be forced on others?
wong thread.

Moves
07 May 17

No sir. I reside in the 21st century.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 May 17

If you wanna be a part of the mental health system which is paid for by the government you will have to be taking medications. Unless I'm going to be paying for it, it isn't my choice.

Most of my meetings with any psychiatrist usually end up in arguments rather then any form of benefit to me through counselling. I watch their patients knife peo ...[text shortened]... they stop their meds. I don't have much faith in them. It's a religion I do NOT like or believe.
Forced onto meds in the public system, is that what you are saying?
Never heard that one, and we get news from NZ from time to time.
Are you sure it's not for people who have committed crimes as well?

I just cant believe if I went to a public psychologist they wouldn't treat me unless I went on meds.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 May 17

No sir. I reside in the 21st century.
Seriously, are you aware of any electrocution techniques used at all in your part of the wooods?
If this is true in NZ it would be an international outrage, surely

Moves
08 May 17

Seriously, are you aware of any electrocution techniques used at all in your part of the wooods?
Not used by me personally, or my team, but ECT is still used as a treatment in the UK and there is evidence about its effectiveness in some cases. (Voluntary of course, not forced).

This BBC link might answer more of your questions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23414888

Grass Farmer

Moves
08 May 17
1 edit

Forced onto meds in the public system, is that what you are saying?
Never heard that one, and we get news from NZ from time to time.
Are you sure it's not for people who have committed crimes as well?

I just cant believe if I went to a public psychologist they wouldn't treat me unless I went on meds.
I had to go to court 3 times and be treated like a criminal to defend their mental health act.
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1992/0046/latest/whole.html

Well that is what happened the last time I went off them. He basically said I was wasting his time and then in court he said I didn't want anything to do with them which was just another of a long list of lies and delusional beliefs about someone he hardly knows.

Grass Farmer

Moves
08 May 17
2 edits

You surely gotta question this faith in "wellbeing" of medication when they also find these same results through the TBI inducing violence of ECT.

How much is "faith" and how much is an actual benefit of science.

Moves
08 May 17

You surely gotta question this faith in "wellbeing" of medication when they also find these same results through the TBI inducing violence of ECT.

How much is "faith" and how much is an actual benefit of science.
From the BBC link provided above:

'Sixty-four-year-old John Wattie says his breakdown in the late 1990s was triggered by the collapse of his marriage and stress at work."We had a nice house and a nice lifestyle, but it was all just crumbling away. My depression was starting to overwhelm me. I lost control, I became violent," he explains.John likens the feeling to being in a hole, a hole he could not get out of despite courses of pills and talking therapies. But now, he says, all of that has changed thanks to what is one of the least understood treatments in psychiatry - electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).

"Before ECT I was the walking dead. I had no interest in life, I just wanted to disappear. After ECT I felt like there was a way out of it. I felt dramatically better."

"It's not intuitive that causing seizures can be good for depression but it's long been determined that ECT is effective," says Professor Ian Reid at the University of Aberdeen, who heads up the team treating John.