1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 15:29
    @dj2becker said
    You seem a little bamboozled to me. It is for you to decide what you do or don’t wish to promote on here. It’s not my call.
    No, not "bamboozled" at all. Quite the contrary. Why are you blanking out my answers to your questions?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 15:30
    @fmf said
    Here's what I posted again:

I don't believe that a creator being communicated with Muhammed in a cave by sending the archangel Gabriel to speak to him. 

Am I supposed to think up what "value" NOT believing this story adds to my life?

And then "promote" that?

You seem determined to sidestep this.
    If you wish to describe my reluctance to make up your mind for you as to what you aught and aught not promote on here as ‘sidestepping’, then that is your prerogative.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 15:50
    @fmf said
    No, not "bamboozled" at all. Quite the contrary. Why are you blanking out my answers to your questions?
    So you do think I have to decide for you what you aught or aught not promote here?

If so you definitely are deluded.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 15:52
    dj2becker in this thread...

https://tenor.com/view/fun-little-kid-funny-shovel-fail-gif-3424710
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 16:19
    @divegeester said
    dj2becker in this thread...

https://tenor.com/view/fun-little-kid-funny-shovel-fail-gif-3424710
    Vintage Dive.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 22:24
    @dj2becker said
    So you do think I have to decide for you what you aught or aught not promote here?
    No, not "decide". Of course not. Just share what you imagine such things might be, based on at least 15 years of discussions with atheists.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '19 22:26
    @dj2becker said
    If you wish to describe my reluctance to make up your mind for you as to what you aught and aught not promote on here as ‘sidestepping’, then that is your prerogative.
    Is it that you don't understand the point I am making about Gabriel and Muhammed in the cave?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 01:21
    @dj2becker said
    You seem a little bamboozled to me.
    Non-chess player: What value does being a chess player add to your life?

Chess player: Intellectual stimulation, the opportunity for competition, there's community by way of my chess club, means of engagement with strangers etc. etc. You should try it.

Non-chess player: Thanks, but I am not interested in chess.

Chess player: I encourage people to play.

Non-chess player: Well, I am not a chess player.

Chess player: What value does NOT being a chess player add to your life?

Non-chess player: What a dumb question.

Chess player: Is it?

Non-chess player: Yes. Do you play Wei chi?

Chess player: No.

Non-chess player: What value does NOT being a Wei chi player add to your life?

Chess player: What a dumb question. Oh, wait...

Non-chess player: See what I mean?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 07:14
    @fmf said
    Non-chess player: What value does being a chess player add to your life?

Chess player: Intellectual stimulation, the opportunity for competition, there's community by way of my chess club, means of engagement with strangers etc. etc. You should try it.

Non-chess player: Thanks, but I am not interested in chess.

Chess player: I encourage people to play.

Non-chess play ...[text shortened]... your life?

Chess player: What a dumb question. Oh, wait...

Non-chess player: See what I mean?
    Neat little straw man. 👏
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 07:36
    @dj2becker said
    Neat little straw man. 👏
    It's an analogy.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 09:451 edit
    @dj2becker said
    Vintage Dive.
    Thanks, I thought so.
    Here’s another one which nicely sums up your posting generally:

https://tenor.com/view/struggle-austin-powers-driving-chaos-gif-5764400
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 16:292 edits
    @fmf said
    No, not "decide". Of course not. Just share what you imagine such things might be, based on at least 15 years of discussions with atheists.
    If as an agnostic atheist you feel your world view/belief system adds no value to your life you obviously won’t be promoting any of it here.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 22:09
    @dj2becker said
    If as an agnostic atheist you feel your world view/belief system adds no value to your life you obviously won’t be promoting any of it here.
    I've already told you what it is about this world - and how I view it - that adds value to my life. Religion wasn't one of those things because, as you know, I don't subscribe to one. You ignored this attempt to converse with you.

As for the rather silly query about how NOT being a theist [i.e. not subscribing to religions like Islam or Hinduism or your religion] might "add value", the analogy above addresses that, although you apparently do not comprehend what light it shines on your query... and so it is another attempt to converse with you that you have sidestepped.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 22:13
    @dj2becker said
    I acknowledge that religious beliefs and observance can "add value" to the lives of adherents. However, I do not adhere to a religion. The things that "add value" to my life are not connected to belief in, or worship of, God.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '19 23:07
    There is a curious form of myopia that some religious believers seem to be afflicted with: an inability to comprehend the nature and implications of a lack of belief. There are several in this community; dj2becker is prominent among them.

Is it a case of intellectual shortcircuiting rooted in their religious zealotry? Or is this 'not-listening, not-interested, just-repeat-the-riff' pose a calculated affectation intended to contort the discourse for some sort of disinhibited, partisan reasons?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree