Pledge of Allegiance

Pledge of Allegiance

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
12 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by xpoferens
It seems you cannot provide empirical evidence for evolution, either.

Science cannot prove God exists, but science proves God has to exist.
Of course we can prove the empirical nature of evolution. Perhaps you can explain MRSA another way? Magic? Divine intervention? No, I'll stick with genetic mutation and differential death, both of which have been shown many, many times. Speciation too, has been shown.

[edit; of course, science in no way stipulates that God exists. I should know. I am a scientist!]

x

Lisbon

Moves
12 Sep 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Of course we can prove the empirical nature of evolution. Perhaps you can explain MRSA another way? Magic? Divine intervention? No, I'll stick with genetic mutation and differential death, both of which have been shown many, many times. Speciation too, has been shown.

[edit; of course, science in no way stipulates that God exists. I should know. I am a scientist!]
Being a scientist doesn't make you the ultimate authority in science, however, it will give you the chance (God willing), to get on your own to the conclusion that God has to exist.

Regarding MRSA... as I'm not a (proud) scientist, allow me please to quote the following.

The antibiotic resistance of the MRSA bacteria (methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus, sometimes known as the “Superbug&rdquo😉 is due to mutations, which destroy some genetic information thereby allowing MRSA to resist antibiotics. There is no increase in information. While Darwinists assume that natural selection is the engine of evolution, in practice evolution would only proceed by natural selection plus information-increasing mutations. True Mendelian natural selection is entirely consistent with a creationist way of interpreting empirical evidence of changes in species.

Got it?

xpoferens

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
12 Sep 06

It seems you cannot provide empirical evidence for evolution, either.

Science cannot prove God exists, but science proves God has to exist.
Perhaps you could point out exactly where/why/how science proves God has to exist ...

x

Lisbon

Moves
12 Sep 06

Originally posted by amannion
Perhaps you could point out exactly where/why/how science proves God has to exist ...
One of the answers is... design.

I'm not a scientist, but I know what some of them say.

If you wish to access the following link, go ahead...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/re1/chapter9.asp

It's up to you.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
12 Sep 06

Answers in Genesis cited. Thread over.

x

Lisbon

Moves
12 Sep 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Answers in Genesis cited. Thread over.
Thread not over 😉

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
12 Sep 06

Being a scientist doesn't make you the ultimate authority in science, however, it will give you the chance (God willing), to get on your own to the conclusion that God has to exist.

Regarding MRSA... as I'm not a (proud) scientist, allow me please to quote the following.

The antibiotic resistance of the MRSA bacteria (methicillin resistant Staphyloco ...[text shortened]... ationist way of interpreting empirical evidence of changes in species.

Got it?

xpoferens
The only problem is that your quote is a lie. The resistance to antibiotics requires an increase in the DNA content of the organism. We can do it in a lab (I did as an undergrad) by transferring plasmids.

I am proud to be a scientist. I don't see that as a failing - everyone should be proud of their job. I appreciate that being a scientist does not make me an ultimate authority on science, but it does give me a higher credulity than Joe Q Public.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
12 Sep 06

l

London

Moves
12 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz
I appreciate that being a scientist does not make me an ultimate authority on science, but it does give me a higher credulity than Joe Q Public.
Don't you mean lower credulity?

😀

EDIT: Do you think there are limits to what scienctific observation and experimentation can and cannot tell us about our world?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
12 Sep 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Don't you mean lower credulity?

😀

EDIT: Do you think there are limits to what scienctific observation and experimentation can and cannot tell us about our world?
Of course, I meant credibility, but it's late, and I'm sick. I'll sleep on your interesting question and answer it in the morning. G'night.

w

Moves
12 Sep 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
What's the worst that would happen if they were taken out?
What is the worst thing that could happen if it were allowed to stay in the pledge?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Sep 06

Originally posted by whodey
What is the worst thing that could happen if it were allowed to stay in the pledge?
We would spiral into a theocracy with all non-theistic citizens being discriminated against.

w

Moves
12 Sep 06

Originally posted by rwingett
We would spiral into a theocracy with all non-theistic citizens being discriminated against.
This is simply nonsense and proven nonsense since we have not spiraled into a theocracy with it in the pledge. In fact, this country seems to be spiraling into a secular humanistic state if nothing else. I view it as religious bigotry and intollerance. For many atheists, the "G" word is worse kind of profanity that exists. Our religious heritage is to be scoffed at and be ashamed of rather than celebrated.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Sep 06

Originally posted by whodey
This is simply nonsense and proven nonsense since we have not spiraled into a theocracy with it in the pledge. In fact, this country seems to be spiraling into a secular humanistic state if nothing else. I view it as religious bigotry and intollerance. For many atheists, the "G" word is worse kind of profanity that exists. Our religious heritage is to be scoffed at and be ashamed of rather than celebrated.
America is supposed to be a secular state - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. That's why we maintain a wall of separation between church and state. Placing the word 'god' into the pledge during the McCarthyist era was but one step on the road to a fullblown theocracy. It's encroachment must be tirelessly combatted at every step.

l

London

Moves
12 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by rwingett
America is supposed to be a secular state - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.
I don't know about the "supposed" bit. The Declaration of Independence clearly references God. Even the First only prevents Congress from establishing religion -- it was clearly understood that nothing prevented individual States from doing so.