Overthinking Christianity

Overthinking Christianity

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
21 Aug 22

@moonbus

It’s Gods breath, his word, plan/will=his choice as I’m sure he was also involved😉.

We are followers read above, and my last you didn’t answer.

F

Moves
21 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
You have renounced Jesus Christ as coming into the flesh; what else is left to you?
What is left to me?

Left to me by whom?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Aug 22

@fmf said
Every theist in every religious tradition has "faith" of some kind and to some degree. The details of these feelings of faith are relevant only to those who feel them and those that share them. Faith is not knowledge, per se. Nor does it create anything objective. Instead, it is knowledge of what your own beliefs are about yourself and about a particular God figure.
You can deny knowledge about the universe if you like; it is true faith doesn't create
anything. Our knowledge only identifies the truth about things in existence in the
material and the immaterial parts of the universe.

AnitChrists deny Christ, another common faith with some; we all have faith about
the universe, with it we form our worldviews, we decide what is true, real, important
or meaningless. Some things are very binary, true or false. Our views/opinions are
either based on truth or not; we are either rightly grasping things as they are, or we
are mistaken and blind to them.

F

Moves
21 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
You can deny knowledge about the universe if you like; it is true faith doesn't create
anything. Our knowledge only identifies the truth about things in existence in the
What "knowledge about the universe" do you think I am denying?

F

Moves
21 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
AnitChrists deny Christ, another common faith with some; we all have faith about
the universe, with it we form our worldviews, we decide what is true, real, important
or meaningless.
If your faith in Christ prevents you from feeling "meaningless", then I suggest you stick with it.

F

Moves
21 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
Our views/opinions are
either based on truth or not; we are either rightly grasping things as they are, or we
are mistaken and blind to them.
It is your prerogative to believe that you are "rightly grasping things as they are".

F

Moves
21 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
Our knowledge only identifies the truth about things in existence in the
Filling the gaps in human knowledge with theological narratives and nostrums does not create knowledge.

If you believe you have identified "identifies the truth about things in existence", so be it.

It has no bearing on the question of whether death is the end, for example.

Moves
21 Aug 22

@FMF
In what ways are you open to a possible creator
and where does the line of Christianity cut off for you now as a possibility after being a follower for 25 years and now not?

F

Moves
21 Aug 22

@mike69 said
In what ways are you open to a possible creator
The existence of some sort of creator entity - one that I personally see no valid reason to anthropomorphize - may be the reason that the universe exists.

F

Moves
21 Aug 22

@mike69 said
where does the line of Christianity cut off for you now as a possibility after being a follower for 25 years and now not?
What does "the line of Christianity cut off" mean?

Moves
21 Aug 22

@fmf said
What does "the line of Christianity cut off" mean?
I just wasn’t sure if you held onto parts of your Christian walk to get to the open mindedness towards another possibility that more so fits into your structure.

I’m not trying to trick you into anything or any kind of banter, just conversation and curiosity.

F

Moves
21 Aug 22

@mike69 said
I just wasn’t sure if you held onto parts of your Christian walk to get to the open mindedness towards another possibility that more so fits into your structure.
While I think some of the teachings attributed to Jesus by the people who started Christianity are a good basis for a morally sound life, I no longer think that Christians, with the God figure they describe, have any credible information for me [other than allegory] about a creator entity, assuming one exists.

When it comes to supposed divine communication, I have reached the same conclusion about all the "revealed" religions. I no longer subscribe to the claims that Christians make about themselves and about the identiity of Jesus based on ancient texts.

F

Moves
21 Aug 22

@mike69 said
I’m not trying to trick you into anything or any kind of banter, just conversation and curiosity.
What makes you think you could "trick" me into doing something?

Moves
22 Aug 22

@fmf said
What makes you think you could "trick" me into doing something?
Figure of speech saying it’s not a loaded question, just a conversation, not to be used against you at a later time and so on. Thank you for answering.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
22 Aug 22
1 edit

@fmf said
While I think some of the teachings attributed to Jesus by the people who started Christianity are a good basis for a morally sound life, I no longer think that Christians, with the God figure they describe, have any credible information for me [other than allegory] about a creator entity, assuming one exists.

When it comes to supposed divine communication, I have reached t ...[text shortened]... laims that Christians make about themselves and about the identiity of Jesus based on ancient texts.
Do you consider yourself somewhat of a Deist?

"de·ism
/ˈdēˌizəm,ˈdāˌizəm/
Learn to pronounce
noun
"belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind."

"Many of the founding fathers—Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Madison and Monroe—practiced a faith called Deism. Deism is a philosophical belief in human reason as a reliable means of solving social and political problems."
"Who was the most religious founding fathers?
the largest group consisted of founders who retained Christian loyalties and practice but were influenced by Deism. They believed in little or none of the miracles and supernaturalism inherent in the Judeo-Christian tradition."
(The Faiths of the Founding Fathers. Author. David L. Holmes)