Overthinking Christianity

Overthinking Christianity

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
24 Aug 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
For
me, it is even more fascinating that you don't seem to care either; you got this
partial story that fits nicely with what you think, so it's good enough.
The story is "partial" because none of us, your faith notwithstanding, knows the whole story. That you personally feel your "meta-narrative" is "good enough" does not alter this fact.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Aug 22

@fmf said
Your "confidence" - in the theological "meta-narrative" you subscribe to - is not evidence of anything.
Who said it was? I'm not suggesting because I subscribe to anything; it's the right
one on the merits of my point of view alone; I'm looking at the story; what is the
most reasonable? The start changes; if your meta-narrative has a beginning or lacks
one is telling. If your belief about the universe doesn't have a beginning, then it is
just like all of the old stories about the gods like Thor and others people used to
worship. They began in the universe as is; nothing about the beginning can be
accounted for, so full circle.

Only with God does the beginning of everything come from a specific source, while
in all of the others stories, the universe is already in place, and from there, you
move on. If you have something that can account for the beginning, please share.

F

Moves
24 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
Who said it was? I'm not suggesting because I subscribe to anything; it's the right
one on the merits of my point of view alone; I'm looking at the story; what is the
most reasonable?
You are free to tout "the merits" of your theological perspective and assert that it is "the most reasonable" one accordingto you, personally, but these subjective assertions are not evidence of anything, other than evidence of the fact that you have been speculating and that you have settled for a theological perspective in the face of an unknown thing.

F

Moves
24 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
If your meta-narrative has a beginning or lacks
one is telling. If your belief about the universe doesn't have a beginning, then it is
just like all of the old stories about the gods like Thor and others people used to
worship. They began in the universe as is; nothing about the beginning can be
accounted for, so full circle.
In terms of a reality that we can only speculate about, what does it matter - other than it matters to you personally - that your "meta-narrative" has a very specific theology-driven beginning? What does it matter that your God figure's stories are different from "the old stories about the gods like Thor"?

P
Howdy! ๐Ÿค  ๐Ÿ‘‹

Moves
24 Aug 22

@fmf said
In terms of a reality that we can only speculate about, what does it matter - other than it matters to you personally - that your "meta-narrative" has a very specific theology-driven beginning? What does it matter that your God figure's stories are different from "the old stories about the gods like Thor"?
Not to interject, but I think salvation - where one and one’s loved ones spends eternity - is a very serious matter. Apologies for speaking out of turn.

F

Moves
24 Aug 22

@pbsandwich said
Not to interject, but I think salvation - where one and one’s loved ones spends eternity - is a very serious matter. Apologies for speaking out of turn.
It's not that you have spoken out of turn. If you are replying to me, and you think what you posted relates to the conversation between KellyJay and me, then it is a non-sequitur.

F

Moves
24 Aug 22

@kellyjay said
If you have something that can account for the beginning, please share.
None of us knows about "the beginning", KellyJay. The fact that you are personally convinced that "you have something that can account for the beginning" does not create any onus whatsoever on other people to conjure up a competing theory to fill the gap in human knowledge that trumps and replaces the one that satisfies your imagination and your personal worldview.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
24 Aug 22

@pbsandwich said
Thanks for joining the discussion. Salvation is what Christianity is really about, the bit which extended the Jewish and pagan creation myths. The salvational message of Christianity makes sense only under the assumption that the soul of man needs salvation, that it is lost without divine intervention. THAT is why KJ hangs onto the creation myth so tightly; if he gives up the creation myth, with its meta-narrative of the Fall of Man, then there is no need for salvation and therefore no need of a savior either. Jesus then becomes a (mere) teacher, not God incarnate come to save us. And that's not enough for him.

P
Howdy! ๐Ÿค  ๐Ÿ‘‹

Moves
24 Aug 22

@moonbus said
Thanks for joining the discussion. Salvation is what Christianity is really about, the bit which extended the Jewish and pagan creation myths. The salvational message of Christianity makes sense only under the assumption that the soul of man needs salvation, that it is lost without divine intervention. THAT is why KJ hangs onto the creation myth so tightly; if he gives up the ...[text shortened]... sus then becomes a (mere) teacher, not God incarnate come to save us. And that's not enough for him.
I’m not so sure about the latter part of what you said. Leaving original sin out of the equation, it’s pretty clear we all have personally sinned (especially under Jesus Christ’s ramped-up definitions of adultery and murder) and, as a consequence, need a Saviour.

P
Howdy! ๐Ÿค  ๐Ÿ‘‹

Moves
24 Aug 22

@moonbus said
Thanks for joining the discussion. Salvation is what Christianity is really about, the bit which extended the Jewish and pagan creation myths. The salvational message of Christianity makes sense only under the assumption that the soul of man needs salvation, that it is lost without divine intervention. THAT is why KJ hangs onto the creation myth so tightly; if he gives up the ...[text shortened]... sus then becomes a (mere) teacher, not God incarnate come to save us. And that's not enough for him.
Who is KJ?

Fighting for menโ€™s

right to have babies

Moves
24 Aug 22

@pbsandwich said
Who is KJ?
Are you pretending you don’t know?

P
Howdy! ๐Ÿค  ๐Ÿ‘‹

Moves
24 Aug 22

@moonbus said
BTW, I don’t believe creationism is a myth, but not because of original sin. If the theory of evolution had any evidentiary support, I would believe it, but it doesn’t.

P
Howdy! ๐Ÿค  ๐Ÿ‘‹

Moves
24 Aug 22

@divegeester said
Are you pretending you don’t know?
I realized after posting that question who KJ is. I equated KJ with King James, as in the KJV

Fighting for menโ€™s

right to have babies

Moves
24 Aug 22
1 edit

@pbsandwich said If the theory of evolution had any evidentiary support, I would believe it, but it doesn’t.
Have a read.

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=evidence+for+evolution&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

Fighting for menโ€™s

right to have babies

Moves
24 Aug 22

@pbsandwich said
I realized after posting that question who KJ is.
You didn’t know who “KJ” was beforehand then?