1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 06:501 edit
    I've noticed a number of atheists and agnostics here overthinking Christianity. Some with genuine questions, and some with the intention of discrediting it. I don't claim to have answers to all your questions, but the prayer used in my church sums up our relationship to God. Rather than overthinking it all, you might consider the fact that none of us has all the facts and that we simply have to take some things on faith. I hope this helps.

Most merciful God. We confess that we are in bondage to sin and cannot free ourselves. We have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. For the sake of your Son, Jesus Christ, have mercy on us. Forgive us, renew us, and lead us, so that we may delight in your will and walk in your ways, to the glory of your holy name. Amen 🙂
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 07:31
    Not a good path for me. But it works for some people.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 15:00
    @mchill said
    I've noticed a number of atheists and agnostics here overthinking Christianity. Some with genuine questions, and some with the intention of discrediting it. I don't claim to have answers to all your questions, but the prayer used in my church sums up our relationship to God. Rather than overthinking it all, you might consider the fact that none of us has all the facts and that ...[text shortened]... , so that we may delight in your will and walk in your ways, to the glory of your holy name. Amen 🙂
    The Lords Prayer. Your church prayer cannot supersede or override that. The Lords Prayer has stuff yours has excluded, and yours has stuff contrary to the Lords Prayer. I suggest your church revise it.
  4. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 15:09
    @rajk999 said
    The Lords Prayer. Your church prayer cannot supersede or override that. The Lords Prayer has stuff yours has excluded, and yours has stuff contrary to the Lords Prayer. I suggest your church revise it.
    Is there really a need to put one another down as Christian’s. Should we instead help one another grow and be united as brothers and sisters in Christ? I’m also not insinuating one understanding over the other. To proclaim you know everything of a living word to each is foolishness. Take time to understand yours, pray and grow. To know only words without prayer for wisdom and knowledge doesn’t accomplish much.
  5. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 15:10
    @bigdogg said
    Not a good path for me. But it works for some people.
    I wonder why?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 19:301 edit
    @mchill said.

Most merciful God.
    How do you define “most merciful God” within the context that he’s invisible and only communicates slightly mysteriously (some would say incoherently) via collection of writings written by a disparate group of people thousands of years ago… or by people claiming to know the ultimate truth and articulate that “truth” by making dark threats about this “most merciful God” burning them alive for all eternity, simply for not them not believing in him?

Interested in your thoughts on that specific exegesis please.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 21:09
    @rajk999 said
    It's not a contest, Solomon.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 21:13
    @divegeester said
    How do you define “most merciful God” within the context that he’s invisible and only communicates slightly mysteriously (some would say incoherently) via collection of writings written by a disparate group of people thousands of years ago… or by people claiming to know the ultimate truth and articulate that “truth” by making dark threats about this “most merciful God” bu ...[text shortened]... for not them not believing in him?

Interested in your thoughts on that specific exegesis please.
    When was the last time you talked to him?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 21:20
    @suzianne said
    When was the last time you talked to him?
    You’re channelling Kevin Eleven again susi.
  10. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 21:44
    @divegeester said
    Have you tried channeling Christ?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 21:541 edit
    @mike69 said
    Is there really a need to put one another down as Christian’s. Should we instead help one another grow and be united as brothers and sisters in Christ? I’m also not insinuating one understanding over the other. To proclaim you know everything of a living word to each is foolishness. Take time to understand yours, pray and grow. To know only words without prayer for wisdom and knowledge doesn’t accomplish much.
    What are you doing to help Christians to grow and to understand the importance of the Lords Prayer.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 22:07
    @divegeester said
    It's a legitimate question.

I see you pivoting away from Christianity daily. To the point of developing your own bizarre dogma.

Seems like you need to communicate honestly with him. You don't have to become a radical "Christian" to hold unconventional views. Many of my own views may be seen by the mainstream as unconventional, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily have to develop my own religion. My religion is still Episcopal Christianity. I can go to church and listen to what is said because 1) this denomination is the best match I have found to my "unconventional" views, and 2) there's nothing in my unconventionality that denies anything in the KJV.

Prayer is essential for a Christian. Approached with integrity, prayer brings one closer to God, which, after all, is the entire point of Christianity.

The Prodigal Son is still a powerful real story. If you think coming back to God will change your principles, perhaps those principles need updating/resetting/correcting.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 22:53
    @suzianne said
    It's a legitimate question.
    Legitimate how?

It has nothing to do with the thread or any topic in it.
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 23:21
    @mchill said
    I've noticed a number of atheists and agnostics here overthinking Christianity. Some with genuine questions, and some with the intention of discrediting it. I don't claim to have answers to all your questions, but the prayer used in my church sums up our relationship to God. Rather than overthinking it all, you might consider the fact that none of us has all the facts and that ...[text shortened]... , so that we may delight in your will and walk in your ways, to the glory of your holy name. Amen 🙂
    Thank you. I appreciate your having shared this.
  15. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    15 Aug '22 23:45
    @rajk999 said
    What are you doing to help Christians to grow and to understand the importance of the Lords Prayer.
    It’s a very important prayer also used to be a structure for our own personal prayers. You, do you feel this prayer has all power over all prayers?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree