1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 00:03
    Philokalia, what about the OP question. Any reaction to it?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 00:12
    @philokalia said
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning
    interesting, thanks
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 01:59
    @dj2becker said
    ‘The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.’

I saw this quote on social media. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
    Obviously, it is aphoristic and everybody can think of people who are not influenced by this erroneous way of thinking.

Certainly, there is a trend of polarization in the West that can be seen in everything from political to social & religious issues, and it has resulted in the false dichotomy that you either approve of LGBTQ lifestyles, or you hate them.

I have often heard it said that being gay is so fundamental to a person's identity that anyone who views this as immoral has basically condemned them in their totality. Yet, this same standard is not applied across the board. It's contrived.

The fact that I do not approve of drinking alcohol does not mean that I stand in condemnation and hatred of all people who work at or own bars, for instance, and I have never been accused of such. Nor have I or anyone else been accused of nullifying the worth of another person because I am in disagreement with their views on religion.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 02:05
    @philokalia said
    Certainly, there is a trend of polarization in the West that can be seen in everything from political to social & religious issues, and it has resulted in the false dichotomy that you either approve of LGBTQ lifestyles, or you hate them.
    How many adults in "the West" ~ perhaps you could put a ballpark percentage on it, even as seen from your vantage point in east Asia ~ would you imagine believe this proposition: "You either approve of LGBTQ lifestyles, or you hate them"?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 02:14
    @philokalia said
    I have often heard it said that being gay is so fundamental to a person's identity that anyone who views this as immoral has basically condemned them in their totality.
    What proportion of those people in "the West" - whose religious beliefs lead them to view a homosexual lifestyle as immoral - do you think actually DO condemn gay people "in their totality"? I'm just trying to get a sense of the extent of this problem to your way of thinking.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 02:17
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I tend to agree that both statements are nonsense. But I don't agree that our culture has accepted them.
    I am curious to know - from people like the anonymous author of the social media text in the OP - how many people in "a culture" need to believe X in order for us to be able to claim that the "culture" in question has "accepted" X.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 07:13
    @fmf said
    What proportion of those people in "the West" - whose religious beliefs lead them to view a homosexual lifestyle as immoral - do you think actually DO condemn gay people "in their totality"? I'm just trying to get a sense of the extent of this problem to your way of thinking.
    Why don’t you set up a poll and let us know.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 07:14
    @philokalia said
    The fact that I do not approve of drinking alcohol does not mean that I stand in condemnation and hatred of all people who work at or own bars, for instance, and I have never been accused of such.
    When did you stop drinking alcohol and become a disapprover of it?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 07:17
    @fmf said
    No. I've not made it up. It was something you explained. You said that when the school children you teach get answers wrong on a maths quiz, you consider each incorrect answer by the children to be a lie. You insisted that the dictionary justified your point of view.
    I think you’re just twisting my words as usual.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 07:19
    @dj2becker said
    No. That's how you explained it.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 07:191 edit
    @dj2becker said
    Gosh that slightly homosexual looking guy in your avatar is HAWT!
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 08:581 edit
    @fmf said
    No. That's how you explained it.
    If you cannot quote my exact words there is a very good chance that you’re twisting them.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 09:45
    @dj2becker said
    If you cannot quote my exact words there is a very good chance that you’re twisting them.
    If people who admire you and the stuff you post think I am lying about you for some reason, then so be it. It's enough for me to know that both you and I remember the discussion. I have no objection to you now pretending that it's not what you said about what you believed.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 10:34
    @fmf said
    If people who admire you and the stuff you post think I am lying about you for some reason, then so be it. It's enough for me to know that both you and I remember the discussion. I have no objection to you now pretending that it's not what you said about what you believed.
    If people who admire you and the stuff you post think that you are not lying for some reason, that’s fine with me.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 10:40
    @dj2becker said
    If people who admire you and the stuff you post think that you are not lying for some reason, that’s fine with me.
    Good. And, as I said, I know that both of us remember the discussion and I know that both of us know that you are now pretending that you didn't talk about your belief that incorrect answers on a children's quiz are examples of "lies".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree