1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 05:16
    ‘The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.’

I saw this quote on social media. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 05:371 edit
    @dj2becker said
    ‘The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.’

I saw this quote on social media. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
    The comment is typical of the social media trite which is propagated by the latest generation of snowflakey vacuous nobodies.

I don’t recognise these “huge lies” in the first place, but yes they are nonsense and I would bet that the author or “sharer” has a portfolio of these finger-licking philosophies which they daub on their Facebook wall in big proud wafts.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 06:54
    @divegeester said
    The comment is typical of the social media trite which is propagated by the latest generation of snowflakey vacuous nobodies.

I don’t recognise these “huge lies” in the first place, but yes they are nonsense and I would bet that the author or “sharer” has a portfolio of these finger-licking philosophies which they daub on their Facebook wall in big proud wafts.
    There are quite a few powerful assumptions, presuppositions, biases and sweeping generalizations made by your post as well. Ironic i’nit?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 06:59
    @dj2becker said
    There are quite a few powerful assumptions, presuppositions, biases and sweeping generalizations made by your post as well. Ironic i’nit?
    Not really. Even if I’m wrong, the erroneous nature of my post is not the same as the flaws it’s pointing out. So, no it’s not ironic. I’nit.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 08:10
    @divegeester said
    Not really. Even if I’m wrong, the erroneous nature of my post is not the same as the flaws it’s pointing out. So, no it’s not ironic. I’nit.
    The erroneous nature of your post would be the same (erroneous by nature) as the flaws you are pointing out. An additional bit of irony would be that you missed this bit of irony in the first place. I’nit.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 08:191 edit
    @dj2becker
    Our culture has accepted two huge lies

Which "culture" are you referring to?

How many people in a "culture" have to subscribe to a belief before one can say that the "culture" in question has "accepted" it?

By "lie", do you mean a statement - that is known/believed [by the person who makes it] to be false - in order to deceive?
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 18:21
    @dj2becker said

How does one disagree with a lifestyle?

(Yes, I can guess what they meant, but it's still poorly stated.)

I tend to agree that both statements are nonsense. But I don't agree that our culture has accepted them.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '20 19:10
    @fmf said
    @dj2becker

How many people in a "culture" have to subscribe to a belief before one can say that the "culture" in question has "accepted" it?

By "lie", do you mean a statement - that is known/believed [by the person who makes it] to be false - in order to deceive?
    It’s not my quote in case you hadn’t noticed. I think you know exactly what the person meant when they used the words culture and lie. It’s quite obvious to me at least.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 00:57
    @dj2becker said
    I think you know exactly what the person meant when they used the words culture and lie. It’s quite obvious to me at least.
    Which "culture" are you talking about? I live in Indonesia and I have lived in Japan. I lived in Australia for a while too. You have talked about living in one of the Gulf states. These are all different cultures.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 00:59
    @dj2becker said
    I think you know exactly what the person meant when they used the words culture and lie. It’s quite obvious to me at least.
    You used the word "lies" in your thread title. What is your definition of the word "lie" for the purposes of this discussion? It may well be obvious to you, but why don't you define it? Or do you agree with my definition further up the page?
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 01:13
    @FMF

I will, eventually, forgive you.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 09:04
    @fmf said
    @dj2becker

I would assume that the person making the statement was referring to his own particular culture and I would further assume that his particular culture consists of the people he is predominantly exposed to. By lie I would also assume he means untruth.

PS : the title of the thread is the first part of the statement I was quoting.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 09:08
    @bigdoggproblem said
    How does one disagree with a lifestyle?

(Yes, I can guess what they meant, but it's still poorly stated.)

I tend to agree that both statements are nonsense. But I don't agree that our culture has accepted them.
    I guess your culture may well be different to the culture of the person making the statement. I would agree that it is poorly stated.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 09:20
    @dj2becker said
    I would assume that the person making the statement was referring to his own particular culture and I would further assume that his particular culture consists of the people he is predominantly exposed to.
    Which "culture" is it then? Do you not know?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 09:211 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I tend to agree that both statements are nonsense.
    Of course. But for someone's misguided nonsense to be a "lie", there has to be some intent to deceive. If X thinks Y's Christian beliefs are misguided nonsense, X cannot accurately characterize them as "lies" unless he believes that Y does not really hold those Christian beliefs and is trying to deceive people deliberately.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree