1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 11:30
    @kellyjay said
    To suggest our compasses are broken suggests even my own is as well.
    I am pretty confident about my moral compass. I believe it has served me well and has been of benefit to my family and others. If you feel your moral compass is "broken" then so be it. I wish you well. I hope you find a way to sort it out.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 11:32
    @kellyjay said
    You can not claim all compasses are good if they all point in different directions.
    I haven't claimed that "all compasses are good". Don't be so disingenuous. Grow a pair of integrity balls, KellyJay.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 11:35
    @kellyjay said
    The purpose of a compass is to point correctly.
    The purpose of our moral compasses is to help us, as free moral agents, to navigate the human landscape through which we journey during our lives.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 11:39
    @fmf said
    I am pretty confident about my moral compass. I believe it has served me well and has been of benefit to my family and others. If you feel your moral compass is "broken" then so be it. I wish you well. I hope you find a way to sort it out.
    Why, because it lines up with your personal preferences and opinions? Does it change as your assumptions change to once again line up with your preferences and opinions? Wouldn’t a compass if working always point in the same direction no matter what direction you are going?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 11:43
    @kellyjay said
    Why, because it lines up with your personal preferences and opinions?
    Because it has served me well in my interactions with others and has kept me on what I perceive ~ through the prism of my conscience ~to be the straight-and-narrow.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 11:46
    @kellyjay said
    Does it change as your assumptions change to once again line up with your preferences and opinions?
    It has not changed much since I was in my teens. I have matured considerably since then and I've experienced all manner of things in various countries. No doubt some of the decisions my moral compass has helped me to make are different now from those that I made when I was 16 years old. But, at its very core, I don't think it has changed dramatically.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 11:48
    @kellyjay said
    Wouldn’t a compass if working always point in the same direction no matter what direction you are going?
    In my case, it has "pointed" more or less in the same "direction" for the last 40+ years.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 11:50
    @kellyjay said
    To suggest our compasses are broken suggests even my own is as well.
    If you feel your moral compass is "broken" then so be it.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 12:10
    @fmf said
    It has not changed much since I was in my teens. I have matured considerably since then and I've experienced all manner of things in various countries. No doubt some of the decisions my moral compass has helped me to make are different now from those that I made when I was 16 years old. But, at its very core, I don't think it has changed dramatically.
    So again because it suits you and as near as you can tell it remains the same. If it’s changing as you do why would it ever appear to be doing anything else? You noticing small changes should tell you something is happening. When people are lost they tend to go in circles with out noticing, only a fix point can tell us we are moving in the same direction.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 12:22
    @kellyjay said
    When people are lost they tend to go in circles with out noticing, only a fix point can tell us we are moving in the same direction.
    I am not "lost". Are you?

I haven't been "going in circles". If you have, and if you want to confide, feel free to do so. But don't do it for my benefit.

I have already explained that my moral compass has scarcely changed - at its very core - since I was a teenager. What's not "fixed" about that?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 12:23
    @kellyjay said
    So again because it suits you and as near as you can tell it remains the same.
    Does your moral compass not "suit" you too? Is it not an integral part of your character?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 12:31
    @kellyjay said
    You noticing small changes should tell you something is happening.
    I can't itemize them for you. If you have lived a life in which you have never been able to say that "something is happening" to you and around you, then that is a pity.

My moral compass has guided me through higher education, unemployment and employment, through hard times and good.

It guided me through a sudden new chapter in my life when I gave up pretty much everything and moved away from my country of birth, climbing inside new and different cultures, living in other countries, meeting countless people with diverse beliefs, getting married, raising kids and so on.

My moral compass has been pretty much constant throughout. The decisions I have made, with its help, with regard to my interactions have adjusted to cultural contexts along the way, naturally.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 12:34
    @kellyjay said
    If it’s changing as you do why would it ever appear to be doing anything else?
    Wait a minute. I have just realized you might have no idea what I am talking about OR you might be pretending not to understand. Either way, the above question makes you sound a bit clueless and/or scrabbling around for something to say. So, let me ask:

What do you envisage I mean when I talk about "changing"?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 14:16
    @fmf said

I haven't been "going in circles". If you have, and if you want to confide, feel free to do so. But don't do it for my benefit.

I have already explained that my moral compass has scarcely changed - at its very core - since I was a teenager. What's not "fixed" about that?
    How would you know?
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 14:37
    @fmf said

You have been a Theist, and how many other definitions have you applied to yourself and are you sure you got it right now?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree