1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 03:181 edit
    @kellyjay said
    So you are saying
    all morals are pressed in on us; otherwise, there isn't anything in us that can make
    up our minds, each of us is nothing more than a product of our environment as
    we are synthesized.
    No. This is just rubbish.

"[So you are saying] there isn't anything in us that can make up our minds,"

Of course not.

[So you are saying ... our morals are] like dominos that fall...

Don't be silly. Of course not.

You are pretending to converse.

Talk to someone else.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 07:10
    @fmf said

Talk to someone else.
    I can’t be bothered with KellyJay’s dishonesty and ignorance.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 08:51
    @fmf said
    No. It's not about whether we agree or disagree. It's about this gimmick you use where you pretend you don't know what my stance is. What was that foolishness a few weeks back? Where you pretended you didn't know whether I was a theist or not. Now you are saying something foolish to me as if we have never discussed morality before.
    I cannot read your mind, so I ask clarifying questions. If you desire to quote some
    of our past conversations, please do so, but in the meantime, we have one now.

Which is it?

If our morals are put on us by outside forces, then aren't the outside forces
    shaping us, not us making choices?

The fact that people despite living in cultures that are very hardline about some
    specifics and others turn away from those specifics show that isn't the case, we are
    free moral agents.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 09:14
    @kellyjay said
    I cannot read your mind, so I ask clarifying questions.
    You don't need to read my mind. You can just stop pretending that you haven't read my posts.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 09:16
    @kellyjay said
    If our morals are put on us by outside forces, then aren't the outside forces
    shaping us, not us making choices?
    Moral compasses are our mechanism for making morsl choices and taking personal responsibility.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 09:17
    @kellyjay said
    The fact that people despite living in cultures that are very hardline about some
    specifics and others turn away from those specifics show that isn't the case, we are
    free moral agents.
    There are bad people in the world.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 09:26
    @fmf said
    Moral compasses are our mechanism for making morsl choices and taking personal responsibility.
    Yet, our compasses all seem to be pointing in different directions, a compass
    doesn't act that way; we are more like those lost wandering around in the dark
    then someone being led somewhere by a compass. Personal responsibility is
    taken how if you can set your compass in whatever direction you like, it is very
    difficult to show someone their error if they can say, well, that's your opinion!
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 09:37
    @kellyjay said
    Yet, our compasses all seem to be pointing in different directions, a compass
    doesn't act that way; we are more like those lost wandering around in the dark
    then someone being led somewhere by a compass.
    Our moral compasses are what make us individuals and they determine our character. Our moral compasses are different and diverse. If, despite having a moral compass, you feel you are "lost wandering around in the dark" then I hope you sort yourself out.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 09:42
    @kellyjay said
    Personal responsibility is
    taken how if you can set your compass in whatever direction you like, it is very
    difficult to show someone their error if they can say, well, that's your opinion!
    Unless we are sociopaths or psychopaths, I don't think we "set our compasses in whatever direction we like". I think we develop one through nature and nurture and then that is the mechanism of conscience that governs us.

If, say, I commit a crime, the legal system will hold me personally responsible and if reject their prosecution because I say, of the crime in question, "well, that's your opinion!" I don't think that will work for me.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 09:46
    @fmf said
    Our moral compasses are what make us individuals and they determine our character. Our moral compasses are different and diverse. If, despite having a moral compass, you feel you are "lost wandering around in the dark" then I hope you sort yourself out.
    Our actions define us as individuals; as we desire, we can act against what we think
    is the proper action to get what we want, even if it goes against our moral compass.

That means even if we know, we shouldn't do something and we do, our compass
    can be working, it is just ignored, and once that is done enough, our consciences
    are seared.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 09:531 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Our actions define us as individuals; as we desire, we can act against what we think
    is the proper action to get what we want, even if it goes against our moral compass.
    Some people do ignore their own moral compasses, yes. People "can act against what they think is the proper action to get what they want", yes. It's part and parcel of the human condition.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 09:55
    @kellyjay said
    That means even if we know, we shouldn't do something and we do, our compass
    can be working, it is just ignored, and once that is done enough, our consciences
    are seared.
    People do bad things. I don't think anyone is disputing that.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 10:31
    @fmf said
    People do bad things. I don't think anyone is disputing that.
    The dispute is about what is bad and why; if someone is following their moral
    compass, which is to say what is not bad for them, then that is no different than
    the next guy's. However, if there is a bad, and our moral compasses aren't making
    that clear: for one, it is bad, and for another, it is not, the compasses are broken.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 10:48
    @kellyjay said
    The dispute is about what is bad and why; if someone is following their moral
    compass, which is to say what is not bad for them, then that is no different than
    the next guy's. However, if there is a bad, and our moral compasses aren't making
    that clear: for one, it is bad, and for another, it is not, the compasses are broken.
    Your own moral compass is the mechanism by which you perceive what is bad. It is the way you decide "what is bad and why" according to your beliefs.

If you believe your moral compass "is no different than the next guy's" and it doesn't make what is "bad" clear to you, then that is a matter for you.

If you think someone else's moral compass is "broken", then just remember that it is your moral compass that is enabling you to make that judgement.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 11:28
    @fmf said
    Your own moral compass is the mechanism by which you perceive what is bad. It is the way you decide "what is bad and why" according to your beliefs.

If you believe your moral compass "is no different than the next guy's" and it doesn't make what is "bad" clear to you, then that is a matter for you.

If you think someone else's moral compass is "broken", then just remember that it is your moral compass that is enabling you to make that judgement.
    To suggest our compasses are broken suggests even my own is as well. You can not claim all compasses are good if they all point in different directions. The purpose of a compass is to point correctly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree