2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 10:16
    @kellyjay said
    Do you feel in life there should be no consequences for our actions
    inactions, words, or all in all, how we live our lives, do we have a way
    should we live?
    I have never met anyone who believes that there are "...no consequences for our actions, inactions, [and] words". Nor have I ever met anyone who believes that there "should be no consequences for our actions, inactions, words". You have started an entire thread with the clumsiest of strawmen.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 10:19
    @kellyjay said
    should we live?
    Do we have a way should we live? [sic]

The way we feel we "should" live our lives is shaped by communal, cultural and legal norms and by our each and every unique moral compass.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 11:24
    @kellyjay said
    should we live?
    should we live?

My short answer would be "Yes" fortunately, most of this has been pretty well thought out and written in our own national and local legal statues.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 11:28
    @mchill said
    My short answer would be "Yes" fortunately, most of this has been pretty well thought out and written in our own national and local legal statues.
    It has also been "has been pretty well thought out" by our families, and neighbours, and schools, and out places of worship [where applicable], our workplaces, our communities, our cultural and historical heritages... and then, as you say, by our legal and law enforcement systems.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 12:26
    @kellyjay said
    should we live?
    I don’t feel like that and I don’t know anyone who does.

Unless you want this to be one of the shortest spirituality threads ever I suggest you drop the Galveston75 style of strawman and allow the other shoe to drop.
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 16:05
    @kellyjay said
    do we have a way
    should we live?
    the golden rule

islam - not one of you truly believes until you wish for others what you wish for yourself
    - muhammad

baha’i - lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself
    - baha’u’llah

hinduism - this is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you
    - mahabharata

buddhism - treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful
    - udana-varga 5.18

confucianism - words which sum up the basis of all good conduct… loving kindness. do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself
    - confucius

taoism - regard your neighbour’s gain as you own gain, and your neighbour’s loss as your own loss
    - t’ai shang kan ying p’ien

sikhism - i am a stranger to no one; and no one is a stranger to me. indeed i am a friend to all
    - guru granth sahib

christianity - in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and prophets
    - jesus, matthew 7.12

unitarianism - we affirm and promote respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part

native american spirituality - we are as much alive as we keep the earth alive
    - chief dan george

zoroastrianism - do not do unto others whatever is injurious to yourself
    - shayast-na-shayast 13.29

jainism - one should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated
    - mahavint sutrakritanga

judaism - what is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. this is the whole torah; all the rest is commentary
    - hillei
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 22:24
    @rookie54 said
    the golden rule

islam - not one of you truly believes until you wish for others what you wish for yourself
    - muhammad

baha’i - lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself
    - baha’u’llah

hinduism - this is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if d ...[text shortened]... ul to you, do not do to your neighbor. this is the whole torah; all the rest is commentary
    - hillei
    *unless you're a masochist; consult one of your normal friends for help in that case.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 23:381 edit
    @fmf said
    Do we have a way should we live? [sic]

The way we feel we "should" live our lives is shaped by communal, cultural and legal norms and by our each and every unique moral compass.
    I'm asking, not telling; for you, there are the communal, cultural, and legal norms;
    these are all outside influences. There is nothing innate about your notions of how
    we should live; they can only come from the outside, and you have to buy into them?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 23:39
    @mchill said
    should we live?

Are you saying yes to no consequences?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Aug '22 23:39
    @divegeester said
    I don’t feel like that and I don’t know anyone who does.

Unless you want this to be one of the shortest spirituality threads ever I suggest you drop the Galveston75 style of strawman and allow the other shoe to drop.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 02:17
    @kellyjay said
    There is nothing innate about your notions of how
    we should live; they can only come from the outside, and you have to buy into them?
    Boy oh boy, it's as if you've never read or understood anything I have ever posted on this topic.

Our moral compassess are formed by a synthesis of "nature" and "nurture".

"Nurture" is what we experience and absorb from our human environment. It forms a unique narrative and an uncountable number of case studies.

"Nature" corresponds to what you probably mean when you use the word "innate". In combination with the "nature" element, it creates a unique personhood.

Deciding whether we "buy into" things "from outside" of us is what our moral compasses are for.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 02:18
    @kellyjay said
    I'm asking, not telling;
    Regardless of whether you are asking or telling, you have started an entire thread with the clumsiest of strawmen.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 02:54
    @fmf said
    Boy oh boy, it's as if you've never read or understood anything I have ever posted on this topic.

Our moral compassess are formed by a synthesis of "nature" and "nurture".

"Nurture" is what we experience and absorb from our human environment. It forms a unique narrative and an uncountable number of case studies.

"Nature" corresponds to what you probably mean when you use ...[text shortened]... .

Deciding whether we "buy into" things "from outside" of us is what our moral compasses are for.
    I can understand what you say and still do not agree with you. So you are saying
    all morals are pressed in on us; otherwise, there isn't anything in us that can make
    up our minds, each of us is nothing more than a product of our environment as
    we are synthesized. Like dominos that fall, our morals are all deterministic nothing
    more than where we are dropped off in time and location, is your view?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '22 03:13
    @kellyjay said
    I can understand what you say and still do not agree with you.
    No. It's not about whether we agree or disagree. It's about this gimmick you use where you pretend you don't know what my stance is. What was that foolishness a few weeks back? Where you pretended you didn't know whether I was a theist or not. Now you are saying something foolish to me as if we have never discussed morality before.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree