New study of how life got here, lithopanspermia:

New study of how life got here, lithopanspermia:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Oct 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
AND it was worth saying twiceπŸ™‚

Anyone who believe's the Earth to be under 10,000 years old has their head screwed on upside down, if not completely hidden inside their anus.
I have yet to see solid proof that the Earth is older that 10,000 years old. I have only seen assertion and these assertion have changed several times within the last 200 years. That does not give me confidence that they know what they are talking about. I will stick with what makes sense to me.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
I have yet to see solid proof that the Earth is older that 10,000 years old. I have only seen assertion and these assertion have changed several times within the last 200 years. That does not give me confidence that they know what they are talking about. I will stick with what makes sense to me.
Yes, continue to keep smelling your anus from the inside. It hides reality pretty well.

You would look at a flower and see an atheist you are so obsessed.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Oct 12

Yes, continue to keep smelling your anus from the inside. It hides reality pretty well.

You would look at a flower and see an atheist you are so obsessed.
I look at a flower and see a wonderful creation by God. 😏

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
14 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I look at a flower and see a wonderful creation by God. 😏
Do you have any other examples?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Oct 12

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Oct 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Just as I thought, brain permanently asleep.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Oct 12

Just as I thought, brain permanently asleep.
I have to sleep sometimes. I know you guys have a hard time doing without my advice on spiritual natters, but you must learn patience. 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
Do you have any other examples?
The bird that can fly through the sky and the human being that has some creative abilities like God are two other wonderful examples. 😏

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Oct 12
1 edit

My faith can be tested, proven, disproven. Yours cannot. When my 'faith' as you so quaintly put it is not faith as you know it, it is understanding at the level we can do so far. Ten years ago we were not as good as we are now scientifically speaking, ten years from now we will be better than we are now scientifically speaking.

While on the religious sid 100 years if civilization doesn't go down the tubes like it has so many times in the past.
If your faith can be tested, proven, and disproven we are not talking about faith
now are we?

As far as science and our growth goes, yep getting better in many areas, and
unchanged in others.

Since I dead set against anyone being forced into any belief system (which cannot
really happen) I'm not sure why you are bringing it up while talking to me.
Kelly

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
If your faith can be tested, proven, and disproven we are not talking about faith
now are we?

As far as science and our growth goes, yep getting better in many areas, and
unchanged in others.

Since I dead set against anyone being forced into any belief system (which cannot
really happen) I'm not sure why you are bringing it up while talking to me.
Kelly
You are the one who brought up my 'faith' in science, that my 'faith' was exactly the same as your faith in religion. I was pointing out the difference. You don't remember that post?

This is it:

"You don't know if there was a 100 million years ago, again not knowing how this
all started you do not know where the markers are we could use to measure for
that type of time. Faith is all you really have and if you think my faith in God is
different than your faith in your assumptions you are kidding yourself.
Kelly"

If you don't remember your posts then I am talking to a different individual each time. I try to think of myself as one individual.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Oct 12

You are the one who brought up my 'faith' in science, that my 'faith' was exactly the same as your faith in religion. I was pointing out the difference. You don't remember that post?

This is it:

"You don't know if there was a 100 million years ago, again not knowing how this
all started you do not know where the markers are we could use to measure f ...[text shortened]... alking to a different individual each time. I try to think of myself as one individual.
Yea, when you make claims about things that cannot be shown wrong, you are
no different than anyone who talks about things they cannot prove.
Kelly

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Oct 12

Yea, when you make claims about things that cannot be shown wrong, you are
no different than anyone who talks about things they cannot prove.
Kelly
Which claim did I make that is unable to be proven wrong? Ever hear of Karl Popper? That is now a chief tenet of science. It is not science if it cannot be at least theoretically, proven wrong. It has to be falsifiable to be science. That leaves out supernatural fairy tales of christianity and all other religions.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Oct 12

Which claim did I make that is unable to be proven wrong? Ever hear of Karl Popper? That is now a chief tenet of science. It is not science if it cannot be at least theoretically, proven wrong. It has to be falsifiable to be science. That leaves out supernatural fairy tales of christianity and all other religions.
For one as I have been ponting out to you, without knowledge on how the universe
started and in what state, you've no way of being able to really show how old the
unvierse is. So when you start talking about how old things are, you are speaking
from faith not fact. All stories people have come up with are just that stories on
dating things, how things have evolved, what must have happen in the distant past.
Kelly

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Oct 12

For one as I have been ponting out to you, without knowledge on how the universe
started and in what state, you've no way of being able to really show how old the
unvierse is. So when you start talking about how old things are, you are speaking
from faith not fact. All stories people have come up with are just that stories on
dating things, how things have evolved, what must have happen in the distant past.
Kelly
You have an agenda to defeat all attempts to figure out how old the universe is. For you, it can't be more than a few thousand years old in spite of evidence right in front of your own eyes.

We can tell how fast light travels, do you disagree with that statement? That was done a couple hundred years ago and hasn't changed more than about 20% since then, now getting down to an accuracy of a few feet per second and will get more accurate as time goes on.

For instance, Dr. David Wineland just won the 2012 Nobel prize in physics for his work on quantum mechanics, leading to atomic clocks 100 times more accurate than the cesium beam clocks I used to work on when I was on the Apollo project at Goddard.

That enables much more accurate readings of time in general.

You may poo poo any of the results of science but it doesn't change anything but your own mind.

The universe is billions of years old and there is nothing you can do about that.

That fact is not based on faith but if someone comes up with something better than 'it can't be because it goes against the bible' argument, maybe we will believe you.

For instance, we don't have to know exactly how the universe came to be to have knowledge of evolution, and it is only creationists forcing the two entirely different scientific disciplines to be treated as if they were one and the same.

Yes, we did evolve from the same proto primates that became neandertals, apes, and us. We did not evolve from monkeys as creations love to jab and they know full well, merely using that argument to sway weak minds.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Oct 12

You have an agenda to defeat all attempts to figure out how old the universe is. For you, it can't be more than a few thousand years old in spite of evidence right in front of your own eyes.

We can tell how fast light travels, do you disagree with that statement? That was done a couple hundred years ago and hasn't changed more than about 20% since then, ...[text shortened]... tions love to jab and they know full well, merely using that argument to sway weak minds.
I have an agenda to keep the discussion honest.
It is no different than that candle question, you cannot tell how long a candle has
been burning just by looking at it since they can be started and stopped. You have
no IDEA what so ever about how and in what state the did everything come into
being! Since you don't know that, NO MATTER HOW you look at things today there
is nothing that will be able to tell you how old it is. You have to ASSUME certain
things are true that you don't know are to suggest any age with the distant past.

I gain nothing from this discussion on proving the universe is 6K or 1M years old
or any other date you want to apply, the same issues you face I do too. If you have
an age in mind it is a matter of faith, it most certainly is not something you can
glean from facts, because you have none that answer the basic questions above.
Kelly