New Iowa Abortion Law

New Iowa Abortion Law

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
09 May 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @suzianne
Your first sentence needs work, since I see no evidence of what you say in reality. Conservatives are constantly bemoaning social programs as an unnecessary waste of money. Try living beneath the poverty line yourself and see if it, indeed, is a waste of money. And hey, guess what? Most of what you call "increased taxes" (I just call it "your fair shar ...[text shortened]... g her own body, I might be inclined to listen to your constant whining about the funds involved.
Not true, I champion social programs but bemoan the inefficiency of government in running them. I once heard that only about 9 cents on the dollar in taxation that is designated to go to those in need actually reaches them. I also question forcing people to give to charity. Once you force people to give, it is no longer charity, it becomes a tax. And once people begin to receive this tax, they no longer look at it as charity, but an entitlement. And once they become entitled they no longer are thankful, rather, they demand only more.

And there you have it. Government "charity" robs the giver of the gift of giving, and robs those receiving those funds the gift of gratitude. This is the godless system that robs the only entity in this universe that cares the most about the poor of receiving praise for helping them, which is God himself, through the efforts of his servants.

Instead, all you wind up with are a group of people who demand more and more from the state.

I can just imagine JFK giving his speech, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country"

He would be run out of town as a right winged loon.

S. Korea

Moves
09 May 18

Originally posted by @fmf
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43978510

Abortions are still legal in Iowa but some conservative objections to abortions have been incorporated into stricter criteria and regulations. [Please correct me if that summary is off-target.]

Does this represent a reasonable compromise in a country where, broadly speaking - among women - 37% think it shou ...[text shortened]... rmitted? [I got these stats from wiki; again correct me if you think they are wide of the mark.]
Those numbers would not be reflective of Iowa, I think, and thus they are not as relevant to this discussion as you would think.

I'll also say something unpopular: I do not believe that the majority of people believing or thinking something makes it right. Let's even say abortion is insanely popular in California or Krasnoyarsk. It doesn't matter. It is not the right thing to do.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 May 18

Originally posted by @whodey
Not true, I champion social programs but bemoan the inefficiency of government in running them. I once heard that only about 9 cents on the dollar in taxation that is designated to go to those in need actually reaches them. I also question forcing people to give to charity. Once you force people to give, it is no longer charity, it becomes a tax. And onc ...[text shortened]... t ask what you can do for your country"

He would be run out of town as a right winged loon.
God save us all from conservative, self-righteous Christians that turn the needs of the poor into an argument for playing Scrooge.

F

Moves
09 May 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
Those numbers would not be reflective of Iowa, I think, and thus they are not as relevant to this discussion as you would think.

I'll also say something unpopular: I do not believe that the majority of people believing or thinking something makes it right. Let's even say abortion is insanely popular in California or Krasnoyarsk. It doesn't matter. It is not the right thing to do.
Fair enough. So, if you had been an Iowa legislator, would you have voted for the Bill [as referred to in this OP], voted against it, or would you have abstained?

S. Korea

Moves
10 May 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Fair enough. So, if you had been an Iowa legislator, would you have voted for the Bill [as referred to in this OP], voted against it, or would you have abstained?
I would vote against abortion in every single instance and consider it a moral imperative for me.

It's just one of those principles I've fully invested into and will take flak for.

F

Moves
10 May 18

I would vote against abortion in every single instance and consider it a moral imperative for me.

It's just one of those principles I've fully invested into and will take flak for.
I know you are opposed to abortion. And this is not about "flak". The question is - as is this thread - a political one, to a certain extent. And so I present you with a thought exercise of sorts: You are a member of Iowa's legislature. This bill is before you. Do you vote for it, against it, or do you abstain?

w

Moves
10 May 18

God save us all from conservative, self-righteous Christians that turn the needs of the poor into an argument for playing Scrooge.
God?

Don't you mean the DNC? That is who your god is Suzy.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 May 18

God?

Oh snap.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 May 18

God?

It seems true, to a blockhead like you, but then again, I'm not an anarchist like you and Steve Bannon. I believe government does have a role and can be benevolent, but only if we remove the greed. I guess the same can be said of the church.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 May 18

Too bad you're not as "invested" in the rights of people who are unlike you.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 May 18
1 edit

It seems true, to a blockhead like you, but then again, I'm not an anarchist like you and Steve Bannon. I believe government does have a role and can be benevolent, but only if we remove the greed. I guess the same can be said of the church.
In many ways, government has to be the least efficient vehicle by which to help the poor. Non-profits are much better.

ENGLAND

Moves
11 May 18

Do you think God loves Democrats more than Republicans?

D

Moves
11 May 18

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 May 18

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Hey, do me a favor and climb right down off my ass. And then stop bothering me.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 May 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
Do you think God loves Democrats more than Republicans?
God looks on the heart, tiger.