Moon

Moon

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Oct 11

Originally posted by wolfgang59
No problem.
I'm still not satisfied with any explanation I've seen that attempts to explain it!
You want to know why the moon looks bigger nearer to the horizon? (I hope I have that right)
It's because the moonlight has more atmosphere to travel through when near the horizon, hence more distortion of the moonlight that makes it look bigger.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
14 Oct 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
You want to know why the moon looks bigger nearer to the horizon? (I hope I have that right)
It's because the moonlight has more atmosphere to travel through when near the horizon, hence more distortion of the moonlight that makes it look bigger.
Nope!
You can easily disprove that with a little patience and a ruler.
The apparent size difference is totally in our heads.

but why?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Oct 11

Nope!

but why?
I just did a little experiment here with pen and paper, and even with my rough free hand, it seems the moonlight has to travel through at least as twice as much atmosphere when on the horizon as opposed to when it is directly above us (or the highest in the sky).

I was the only person to get this question right in high school science.
Are you saying my teacher was wrong?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Oct 11

Nope!

but why?
I'm not totally disagreeing with your "it's in the head" theory, actually I'd like to hear it

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
14 Oct 11

I'm not totally disagreeing with your "it's in the head" theory, actually I'd like to hear it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

There is no proven answer!!

-m.

(However, I go with the Ebbinghaus theory...which I believe must work in conjunction with the 'apparent distance theory' in this scenario - a combination of both!)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Oct 11

Originally posted by mikelom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion

There is no proven answer!!

-m.

(However, I go with the Ebbinghaus theory...which I believe must work in conjunction with the 'apparent distance theory' in this scenario - a combination of both!)
Is that right?
I always thought it got slightly bigger or looked different when there was more crap in the atmosphere.
Light shone through lots of air does get distorted, so my theory sounds ok to me. Whats wrong with it?

I may have to rethink this whole thing, thanks Mike 🙂

F

Moves
14 Oct 11

Originally posted by davaniel
Apologies, I didn't realise it was unclear who I was talking about, which was, indeed, dasa.
Oh, you were talking about Dasa.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
14 Oct 11

I always thought it got slightly bigger or looked different when there was more crap in the atmosphere.
Light shone through lots of air does get distorted, so my theory sounds ok to me. Whats wrong with it?

I think that may just be some sort of American city distortion thing, such as downtown Detroit, Chicago or L.A. 😀

You're welcome, my friend.

-m.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Oct 11

When the debate becomes interesting and civil certain people disappear ......

Moves
17 Oct 11

When the debate becomes interesting and civil certain people disappear ......
Hmm, I am not sure how much the issue can be debated, as it can be shown readily and
convincingly that the moons apparent difference in size has nothing to do with straightforward
optics it is thus an illusion caused by the brain.

And given the jury is still out on precisely what it is our brains are doing that causes the illusion
I am not sure what more there is to say.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Oct 11

Distortion doesn't necessarily result in magnification. If it was random distortion, then you would expect a larger but blurry moon. If it was clear magnification, then it would be trivial to test it with physical measurements (which as Wikipedia notes, has been done, and there is no magnification).
The sun also looks bigger, which is also purely and optical illusion, but much harder to test with the naked eye.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Oct 11

Nope!

but why?
The theory of evolution is totally in your heads. No truth in it.

t

Moves
17 Oct 11

Is that right?

Maybe it has something to do with the curvature of the earth and atmosphere... I don't know.

Moves
17 Oct 11

Originally posted by tomtom232
Maybe it has something to do with the curvature of the earth and atmosphere... I don't know.
The effect of diffraction in the atmosphere means that actually the sun/moon appears higher
in the sky than it actually is, in fact if there were no atmosphere the point at which the
lower edge of the sun/moon touches the horizon with atmosphere is the point at which the
sun/moon's top edge would finally disappear below it.

In other words the light from the sun/moon is bent round in the atmosphere to make the
sun/moon appear above the horizon when it is actually below it.

However it has no significant effect on the size of the sun/moon.

t

Moves
17 Oct 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
The effect of diffraction in the atmosphere means that actually the sun/moon appears higher
in the sky than it actually is, in fact if there were no atmosphere the point at which the
lower edge of the sun/moon touches the horizon with atmosphere is the point at which the
sun/moon's top edge would finally disappear below it.

In other words the lig ...[text shortened]... n it is actually below it.

However it has no significant effect on the size of the sun/moon.
Yes, but maybe it has a significant effect on our brains for us to see the sun/moon as bigger when near or below the horizon?