killing in the name of

killing in the name of

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
01 Apr 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
hypothetical question #237

if god told you to kill a stranger, no questions asked, would you?
This is a stupid question............but a very important one as well.

The question is that if God the Supreme knower of all things past present and future were to order you to slay the stranger next to you .....would you do it?

The person next to you is not known to you, so you do now know the history of this person.

However God does know the person and even better that the person knows themselves, so the answer must be YES.......because God knows all things and all outcomes and you do not.

Understanding this .....you can now without any doubt or pause or guilt slay the person.

Its a no brainer.

Example ......what if God asks you to kill a 10 year old child and you do not do it and then proclaim "oh how terrible"

Then the child grows up and his name is Adolph Hitler.

You see its a no brainer.

Any one talking about morals with regards to this question is a fool.

Persons in this forum do not know anything about morals because they do not have any knowledge.

Without knowledge you cannot comment on anything at all.

True knowledge of the spiritual and of life is only found in one place ..... the Vedas.

When God stands before you and requests something.....you do not hesitate.

Are you going to say that it is Gods understanding verses your understanding on the matter?....absurd!

Moves
01 Apr 12

Originally posted by Dasa

The question is that if God the Supreme knower of all things past present and future were to order you to slay the stranger next to you .....would you do it?

The person next to you is not known to you, so you do now know the history of this person.

However God does know the person a ...[text shortened]... going to say that it is Gods understanding verses your understanding on the matter?....absurd!
And again I have to go with "and this is why belief based on faith without evidence is scary and dangerous."

Moves
01 Apr 12

However God does know the person a ...[text shortened]... going to say that it is Gods understanding verses your understanding on the matter?....absurd!
i cant believe you actually used the word 'slay' in a serious context. are you related to martin bryant by any chance?

Moves
01 Apr 12

"Its a no brainer. "

Once I heard a person say this at a meeting.

He was told, "That's why we invited you."

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
02 Apr 12
2 edits

Originally posted by googlefudge
And again I have to go with "and this is why belief based on faith without evidence is scary and dangerous."
based on faith without evidence, for sure, it can be scary, mainly when it is employed by the government of the US or other governments.
Also as clans or groups that subscribe to unsubstantiated beliefs (by rationality) can be a problem.
But for the most part, people with faith also have a rational reason for it. It may not be correct. But most that esxpouse faith also want to be peaceful and harmonious and the whole bit. There is a lost of good to be gained from who hold faith dearly- even if there are nutters. Mind you there are nutters in all generalization groups like this.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
02 Apr 12

what an absurd notion and bankrupt morals you have, you and the kind of god you worship.

if god sees that someone is going to cause great harm and wants that person dead, he can do it himself. if it tries to recruit humans to do his dirty work, it means that either:
1. he can't do it himself and needs help.
2. he can do it himself, but the sick demented creature wants to manipulate others to do his dirty work for him.

anybody who agrees to such a wretched order is also a sick demented individual, even if the order is true rather than a hallucination.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Apr 12

Originally posted by humy
“...People believe in
evolution not because there is an invisible mountain proving it, but because
they do not want to be accountable to God. ...”

I can see that, with your mentality, it would be totally futile to try and make you see any sense so I will not try. I will try and resist the temptation to debate with a moron.
However, just for the record: ...[text shortened]... believe that delivery vans deliver parcels because I do not want to have to thank Santa.
It is wrong to come to your conclusion by lumping all theists together. There are
many religions with different concepts of a god. There are also many that even
call themselves Christian, for what reason we can only guess, that have a much
different concept of God than the True God that I praise with "HalleluYah !!!" isn't
there? Those people you call theists are worshpping another god. They are not
worshipping the God that created the heavens and the Earth in one 24-hour day.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Apr 12

How many times do I have to explain this... It matters because it sheds light on your beliefs and convictions.

The fact that you (claim) to be willing to kill someone if told to by god tells us something about what you believe.
THAT is the point.

Do I expect god to ever turn up and tell you to kill anyone? No of course not, but in thinking about h ...[text shortened]... ow can you tell that god is 'good'?

By what standard are you measuring gods 'goodness'?
God's goodness is measured by God Himself and proclaimed and demonstrated by
Christ. HalleluYah !!!

F

Moves
02 Apr 12

However God does know the person and even better that the person knows themselves, so the answer must be YES.......because God knows all things and all outcomes and you do not.

Understanding this .....you can now without any doubt or pause or guilt slay the person.

Its a no brainer.
In that notorious thread of yours in December 2011, did you feel it was "God" who was telling you to propose killing all Muslim men?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Apr 12

[i]Originally posted by stellspalfie
[b]hypothetical question #237

if god told you to kill a stranger, no questions asked, would you?

Unequivocally no.

I have moral standards.

Originally posted by RJHinds
I believe God has moral standards that are higher than any of man's moral
standards. ...[text shortened]... you thought your god told you to is not a good way of earning
or deserving respect.
You certainly haven't earned my respect then have you?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Apr 12

Originally posted by Penguin
[b]So since God is "good" he would not tell me to do something evil to violate His own commandment.

But in the bible, he does tell people to do this:

[i]Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such ...[text shortened]... eing told to kill. Your God has a history of this sickening behaviour.

---Penguin[/b]
The behavior is not sickening at all to me. Evil must be eliminated at all costs to
save the people of God. HalleluYah !!!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Apr 12

I answered the question the same as you. Yet, I honor the words written in the
Holy Bible and not in the Vedas. HalleluYah !!! 😏

P

Moves
02 Apr 12
1 edit

The behavior is not sickening at all to me. Evil must be eliminated at all costs to
save the people of God. HalleluYah !!!
So you follow the rather bankrupt argument of William Lane Craig: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/slaughter-of-the-canaanites

Essentially, his argument boils down to this: Killing is immoral, evil and sinful unless the perpetrator has been ordered to do it by God: since God cannot do evil, anything he commands must be good even if it contradicts one of his other commandments (thou shalt not kill).

Since there is no way of independently verifying that a command came from the one true God (which WLC believes is his notion of the Christian God), rather than being a hallucination or from Satan, this means that mass murder is not evil if the perpetrator firmly believes they are carrying out God's will.

So by your reasoning:

The invasion of Iraq was fine because Bush declared, and presumably firmly believed, "God told me to invade Iraq": http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa

This murder is justified because the perpetrator believed God told him do it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2117279/Immigrant-waiter-Jonathan-Limani-jailed-cutting-Golf-Club-manager-Chris-Varians-head.html

And this is also ok: http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/759554-would-be-car-thief-god-told-me-to-do-it

--- Penguin.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Apr 12

Originally posted by Penguin
So you follow the rather bankrupt argument of William Lane Craig: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/slaughter-of-the-canaanites

Essentially, his argument boils down to this: Killing is immoral, evil and sinful unless the perpetrator has been ordered to do it by God: since God cannot do evil, anything he commands must be good even if it contradicts one of his ...[text shortened]... : http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/759554-would-be-car-thief-god-told-me-to-do-it

--- Penguin.
You seem to be trying to put words in my mouth that I do not agree with. I think
I explained my position so a logical person could understand and it includes the
ability that God gives me to recognize the source of the command. However,
the hypothetical already assumed the command was from God, didn't it?

P

Moves
02 Apr 12

You seem to be trying to put words in my mouth that I do not agree with. I think
I explained my position so a logical person could understand and it includes the
ability that God gives me to recognize the source of the command. However,
the hypothetical already assumed the command was from God, didn't it?
Well I didn't intend to so I apologise if I did. Maybe if you read the WLC link you can decide if you really do agree with his arguments.

The rest of my post was then trying to point out the flaw in his argument which is essentially that there is no way of telling the difference between a command from God and a hallucination of a command from God, which is the issue we have been discussing in this thread.

I suggest that the ability that you believe God gave you to recognise the source of his commands is actually an illusion. From your previous posts, it seems to be dependent on the command being given in the same way as your initial experience of God. But you have no way of confirming that that original experience was indeed God and not an illusion or even the Devil.

If you experience a command to kill, delivered in the same manner (it 'feels the same' to you) as your original experience, you say you would willingly obey the command.

I would very much hope that my own moral sense would prevent me obeying such a command.

--- Penguin.