JWs: more covering up of child sex abuse

JWs: more covering up of child sex abuse

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
24 Sep 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
How on earth would it be morally sound to advise someone to suffer public humiliation if you knew there was absolutely no chance of the rapist being incriminated due to a lack of evidence?
It's not morally unsound to suffer humiliation in the course of doing the morally sound thing.

Moves
24 Sep 18

Originally posted by @fmf
It's not morally unsound to suffer humiliation in the course of doing the morally sound thing.
You would be making a compelling argument were you not arguing from a position of moral relativity.

F

Moves
24 Sep 18

You would be making a compelling argument were you not arguing from a position of moral relativity.
You don't seem to have made any kind of "moral argument" at all. You come across as completely anaesthetised by your much vaunted "objectivity" ...and all the hackneyed vocabulary attendant thereto.

Moves
25 Sep 18

Doing something to save children from being raped trumps protecting my relative's feelings or even disobeying her wishes. That's why we have moral compasses: to guide us when we have to make decisions over the best course of action available to us, sometimes in very difficult or not-clearcut situations. Presumably, it would suit you to choose your sister's feel ...[text shortened]... ver protecting children from being raped. And presumably, you'd label your decision "objective".
The right thing to do would be to get legal advice first. If a lawyer tells you that there is not enough incriminating evidence to put the rapist away I presume you would break your sister's trust and put her through the trauma all over again knowing that at the end of it all the rapist will walk free. You obviously haven't thought this through FMF.

F

Moves
25 Sep 18

The right thing to do would be to get legal advice first. If a lawyer tells you that there is not enough incriminating evidence to put the rapist away I presume you would break your sister's trust and put her through the trauma all over again knowing that at the end of it all the rapist will walk free. You obviously haven't thought this through FMF.
The morally sound thing to do is to do whatever it takes to make sure that no other women or children in the community get raped.

F

Moves
25 Sep 18
1 edit

The right thing to do would be to get legal advice first...
I think a morally sound course of action would have been to telephone the police immediately - while there would still be physical evidence that the rape had occurred - and then I'd have gone door to door with my wife to all the families living on the cult's campus ~ in the middle of the night, if necessary ~ to tell them exactly what had happened.

The web site you showed us proves very clearly that hundreds and hundreds of people and families who'd passed through your cult would have every reason to believe my story.

Then I'd recruit a few men to go to the counsellor's quarters and drag him out and bring him to the cult leader's house where I'd bang on the door till he woke up and let us all in. We would all wait there till the police arrived. I'd have maybe asked a friend to call the local media as well.

The upshot of all this would be [1] everybody would have been warned about the rapist's actions and threats so they could take measures to keep the women and children safe or, if unable to do that, leave the cult, and [2] either the rapist would be charged, or expelled or he'd be moved away from the cult, or me and my family would be expelled or we would have left of our own accord - an option other families might take as well.

If I believed that the rapist was about to make good on his promise to kill my daughter in retaliation for telling people what he'd done, and if there were no other practical choice to prevent him from doing this, it would be morally justifiable for me to kill him.

What a pity that your sibling's brainwashed upbringing was such that she felt unable to tell her parents about what had happened and that she felt it was somehow appropriate to conspire with or obey the cult leader in keeping the rape secret from her parents. What kind of moral compass had she been instilled with? Who knows.

Moves
25 Sep 18
1 edit

I think a morally sound course of action would have been to telephone the police immediately - while there would still be physical evidence that the rape had occurred - and then I'd have gone door to door with my wife to all the families living on the cult's campus ~ in the middle of the night, if necessary ~ to tell them exactly what had happened.

The web ...[text shortened]... rape secret from her parents. What kind of moral compass had she been instilled with? Who knows.
I totally agree if in the scenario the parents found out immediately. What if the parents found out years later when the rapist was already serving a life sentence in prison?

F

Moves
25 Sep 18
1 edit

I totally agree if in the scenario the parents found out immediately. What if the parents found out years later when the rapist was already serving a life sentence in prison?
Then it would have been your sister who did not take the morally sound course of action. According to your telling of it, she was complicit in the cover up (and the endangerment of other women and children) by conspiring with the cult leader to keep the sex crime and death threat secret from the authorities, her parents and other potential victims.

There was clearly something wrong with your parents' moral compass: they were complicit in the systematic psychological abuse of both you and your sister for - in your case, 22 years - and then the upbringing they provided your sister with resulted in her being unable or unwilling to confide in them but instead cooperating with your morally bankrupt cult leader in the cover up of a rape.

Moves
25 Sep 18
1 edit

Then it would have been your sister who did not take the morally sound course of action. According to your telling of it, she was complicit in the cover up (and the endangerment of other women and children) by conspiring with the cult leader to keep the sex crime and death threat secret from the authorities, her parents and other potential victims.

There wa ...[text shortened]... n them but instead cooperating with your morally bankrupt cult leader in the cover up of a rape.
Within a context of moral relativism how is it possible for something to be wrong with a moral compass? For something to be wrong with a moral compass it would have to imply the existence of moral absolutes.

F

Moves
25 Sep 18

Within a context of moral relativism how is it possible for something to be wrong with a moral compass?
For the reasons I have been explaining to you over and over and over again for more than two years. Just agree to disagree with me rather than pretend that I haven't explained and illustrated my stance.

F

Moves
25 Sep 18

For something to be wrong with a moral compass it would have to imply the existence of moral absolutes.
There aren't any "moral absolutes" - in the superstitious and religionist way you define them - as far as I am concerned, so your assertion here is a subjective one.

Moves
25 Sep 18

There aren't any "moral absolutes" - in the superstitious and religionist way you define them - as far as I am concerned, so your assertion here is a subjective one.
Do you believe the word ‘wrong’ is purely subjective?

F

Moves
25 Sep 18

Do you believe the word ‘wrong’ is purely subjective?
Morality is subjective. Yours. Mine. Everybody's.

Moves
25 Sep 18

Since your assertion that there are no moral absolutes is a subjective one, how can you be sure there are no moral absolutes?

Moves
25 Sep 18

Morality is subjective. Yours. Mine. Everybody's.
You repeating it ad nauseam doesn't make it so. How can you be sure about it? If right and wrong is purely subjective it means this entire thread has been a waste of time.