Judgement, Injustice, and love

Judgement, Injustice, and love

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
02 Nov 11

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by sumydid
What we have here with the cynics trying to say God is evil because He allows [fill in the blank with the most awful, heinous, torturous suffering imaginable], is a complete disconnect on the Christian perspective.
that's just part of the overall argument. he's also "evil" because he commands the most awful, heinous, torturous suffering imaginable.

i put 'evil' in quotes because he's not evil, there is no such thing. he's completely insane. we're talking severe case of narcissism with psychotic episodes.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
02 Nov 11
1 edit

What we have here with the cynics trying to say God is evil because He allows [fill in the blank with the most awful, heinous, torturous suffering imaginable], is a complete disconnect on the Christian perspective.

To these cynics, if I may, this physical life is for all intents and purposes, all we have -- therefore, if we are allowed to suffer [fill in the soul and about 80% of what I said, so it is really just a pat answer. Talking points.
Now you're sounding more like "universal law" than "christian law", but thats prolly only because of the negativity accosiated with that religon in the past.
More of a gnostic interpretation.

Now if you could only accept that Jesus IS actually in a box-like sattelite circling Earth doing hard-core penance, then we'd really be flying 🙂

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
The question here is how does God work? For example, could God have saved mankind before the flood had it not been for the faith of Noah? Could God have given us the Messiah without the faith of Abraham and his symbolic act of being willing to sacrifice his son etc? In short, could God just zap this and that without second thought as he disregards human fr ...[text shortened]... my observations, it seems that we often need to hit bottom before we realize the need to change.
For example, could God have saved mankind before the flood had it not been for the faith of Noah?

Ermmmm................there was no flood whodey. It's a story, much like there's no Jack and a giant beanstalk.

j

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by bbarr
You're still here? Shhh. The adults are trying to have a conversation.

Does it take years of adult experience to learn to evade a question so well ?

Instead of belittlement I'd prefer to see an attempt at a mature answer.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
02 Nov 11
2 edits

Originally posted by jaywill

Does it take years of adult experience to learn to evade a question so well ?

Instead of belittlement I'd prefer to see an attempt at a mature answer.
If you want a mature answer, then ask a question that makes sense. Though I suppose I could mimic the theist here: "Yes, jaywill, I take responsibility. Obviously my atheistic outlook has weakened the very moral fabric of the world, making such atrocities more likely...." So, please, weave whatever ridiculous accusation here you want. The fact remains: God was there, I was not. God could have intervened. I could not. God apparently preferred that the rape and stabbing occur. I would not have. Out of that, I'm sure you guys can figure out a way to blame me, the victim, society at large, the species, and everybody except God. And you want mature answers? Start with yourself.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by bbarr
If you want a mature answer, then ask a question that makes sense. Though I suppose I could mimic the theist here: "Yes, jaywill, I take responsibility. Obviously my atheistic outlook has weakened the very moral fabric of the world, making such atrocities more likely...." So, please, weave whatever ridiculous accusation here you want. The fact remains: Go ...[text shortened]... e, the species, and everybody except God. And you want mature answers? Start with yourself.
Yes, that is right, we are all at fault. It is not God, even though He has the power to intervene, I don't think we would learn any responsibility from
that. Do you?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Yes, that is right, we are all at fault. It is not God, even though He has the power to intervene, I don't think we would learn any responsibility from
that. Do you?
So God allowed that woman to be raped and stabbed a couple nights back in order to teach us responsibility. That is your view?

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]For example, could God have saved mankind before the flood had it not been for the faith of Noah?

Ermmmm................there was no flood whodey. It's a story, much like there's no Jack and a giant beanstalk.[/b]
There was a flood. It was the same one that created the English Channel.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
There was a flood. It was the same one that created the English Channel.
There are many floods, but there was no world encompassing Biblical flood that reduced humanity to six individuals.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
02 Nov 11

There are many floods, but there was no world encompassing Biblical flood that reduced humanity to six individuals.
The Noah flood was the one that turned Eden into the Persian Gulf. Humanity was not wiped out except for Noah and family except in Eden. The story must be seen from a very localized perspective in which the author was ignorant of most of the world except his immediate region.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
The Noah flood was the one that turned Eden into the Persian Gulf. Humanity was not wiped out except for Noah and family except in Eden. The story must be seen from a very localized perspective in which the author was ignorant of most of the world except his immediate region.
The story must be seen from a very local perspective, but people don't.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Nov 11
2 edits

I believe it was eight people, if I remember correctly.

P.S. It has been determined that we could easily have the world population
we have today, from the eight people even considering all of those that
may be killed in war and accidents, and those dying by starvation and
disease, and those murdered (including abortions).

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
I believe it was eight people, if I remember correctly.
You are correct. My mistake.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Nov 11
2 edits

The implication is, if not for all the things you listed, there would be a new list of talking points. And on and on. You want Pleasantville. Not a horrible thing to wish for; just not reasonable.

(using your typical brand of "debate"😉

I see you didn't list "people having holes bored into their heads with a 1.5" auger bit, and sulfuric acid being po sting!

Ridiculous strawman, absurd-hypothetical "debate" tactic, isn't it. I agree.
Not really, I just don't want grotesque-ville; and if it's here to stay then I simply reject the "all-loving" attribute of Bible God. so long as "loving" is not defined by *whatever Bible-God does*.

As for your take on my "debating" style, unsurprisingly it is structurally distinct from anything I actually argue.