Judgement, Injustice, and love

Judgement, Injustice, and love

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Nov 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
P.S. It has been determined that we could easily have the world population
we have today, from the eight people even considering all of those that
may be killed in war and accidents, and those dying by starvation and
disease, and those murdered (including abortions).
When you say 'it has been determined' I assume you mean somebody has calculated the possible rate of population growth. If so, then you are probably correct. However, if we look at things like the genes, of various humans and various races/populations, the recorded history and archaeological evidence, then no, it is not possible for the flood story to be true.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Nov 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
When you say 'it has been determined' I assume you mean somebody has calculated the possible rate of population growth. If so, then you are probably correct. However, if we look at things like the genes, of various humans and various races/populations, the recorded history and archaeological evidence, then no, it is not possible for the flood story to be true.
So you do not think the genes could have come from two people, Adam
and Eve? Why not?

Cape Town

Moves
03 Nov 11

and Eve? Why not?
The currently existing genes could not possibly have come from two individuals because each person can only have two copies of a given gene, yet there are currently many variations for many of the genes. So some of them would have come about by mutation and thus could not have come from two individuals.

The vast range of genes currently in existence would not have been able to appear in the given time period. Evolution would have had to have worked much much faster for it to be possible.

w

Moves
03 Nov 11

Originally posted by bbarr
So God allowed that woman to be raped and stabbed a couple nights back in order to teach us responsibility. That is your view?
I question whether free will really would exist if either God prevented us from having the thought to sin or being able to act upon it.

I think your arguement would be a little stronger had you picked, say, a 4 year old child dying of cancer.

w

Moves
03 Nov 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
There was a flood. It was the same one that created the English Channel.
Well said. There WAS a great flood. In fact, pretty much every ancient tradition in the region has a flood myth. So the question is only, how big?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Nov 11

Originally posted by whodey
Well said. There WAS a great flood. In fact, pretty much every ancient tradition in the region has a flood myth. So the question is only, how big?
How big then?

w

Moves
03 Nov 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
How big then?
Well I had a few pictures of it lying around....that darned dog of mine.....oh well, they are gone. Sorry man, I don't know exactly.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Nov 11

Well I had a few pictures of it lying around....that darned dog of mine.....oh well, they are gone. Sorry man, I don't know exactly.
How big does the Bible say it was?

w

Moves
03 Nov 11

How big does the Bible say it was?
The Bible says that the flood covered the earth and was above the mountain tops and killed all of mankind.

There are, of course, various ways to interpret this. Was the Bible only discussing the known world at that time or the unknown? What is agreed upon, however, is that the civilization that Noah lived in was the target and they were wiped off the face of the globe.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Nov 11

The Bible says that the flood covered the earth and was above the mountain tops and killed all of mankind.

There are, of course, various ways to interpret this. Was the Bible only discussing the known world at that time or the unknown? What is agreed upon, however, is that the civilization that Noah lived in was the target and they were wiped off the face of the globe.

That looks pretty clear cut to me. What's there to interpret?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
03 Nov 11
1 edit

I question whether free will really would exist if either God prevented us from having the thought to sin or being able to act upon it.

I think your arguement would be a little stronger had you picked, say, a 4 year old child dying of cancer.
And that's why we should abolish the police force, right? Because they act so as to prevent people from acting however they wish. They violate our freedom of will and action! Ridiculous.

Preventing the most horrific atrocities does not undermine our freedom, any more than raising a child to be compassionate violates that child's freedom (given that if the child is compassionate, whole ranges of vicious actions will never even occur to the child, much less be acted upon by that child).

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
03 Nov 11

Originally posted by bbarr
Then let's start this conversation out with the obvious questions:

Are there any psychological traits that are contained in the soul? If so, what are they? If not, then what distinguishes my soul from yours? Or, to put the question a little more sharply; if God played "musical souls" and your soul switched with mine, what, if any, difference would we rec ...[text shortened]... vely effect whatever psychological traits you take to constitute (at least in part) the soul.
Come on, Sumydid. Let's explore your notion of the soul, and see if it does the rhetorical work you think it does.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
03 Nov 11

and Eve? Why not?
There were already people all over the world when that happened. People walked to Britain and Ireland before the Channel was flooded. Likewise with the Americas.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Nov 11

[b]The Bible says that the flood covered the earth and was above the mountain tops and killed all of mankind.

That looks pretty clear cut to me. What's there to interpret?[/b]
I agree with you Proper Knob. It was a world wide flood that also covered
the New World of the Americas. No doubt about it. Notice where Noah's Ark
was found in the mountains just like the Holy Bible said.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Nov 11
1 edit

I agree with you Proper Knob. It was a world wide flood that also covered
the New World of the Americas. No doubt about it. Notice where Noah's Ark
was found in the mountains just like the Holy Bible said.
🙄🙄

When was the Ark found?