Jesus was married!!!

Jesus was married!!!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Sep 12

Originally posted by Conrau K
Catholics of course have no issue with married priests per se. There are of course a number of exceptions in which a married man can become a Catholic priest. The norm of mandatory celibacy is only a discipline of the Western church and it can be changed.

I think, however, the idea of Jesus being married does present a christological problem. If Jesus i ...[text shortened]... the doctrine of the hypostasis.

(Of course, why should an Egyptian fragment have any value?)
I believe there is no problem with Jesus being able to marry and have sex without sinning, just as he was tempted like any other man and remainded sinless. In fact, the more I think about it, it must be something that is necessary for his sacrifice to be worth a hill of beans for the rest of us. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I believe there is no problem with Jesus being able to marry and have sex without sinning, just as he was tempted like any other man and remainded sinless. In fact, the more I think about it, it must be something that is necessary for his sacrifice to be worth a hill of beans for the rest of us. 😏

I can't believe you're taking this position.

I just read through all the previous posts regarding priests or rabbis marrying, as if that was anywhere near the point, and then you say this.

Let me just ask you one thing. What do you think was the entire point of Jesus having a virgin birth? Do you have any idea at all?

As an aside to everyone else, I predict this will be debunked as bogus soon enough.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Sep 12

Originally posted by Suzianne

I just read through all the previous posts regarding priests or rabbis marrying, as if that was anywhere near the point, and then you say this.

Let me just ask you one thing. What do you think was the entire point of Jesus having a virgin birth? Do you have any idea at all?

As an aside to everyone else, I predict this will be debunked as bogus soon enough.
To fulfill prophecy. 😀

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Sep 12
4 edits

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)

Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

(Romans 5:12-19 NKJV)

Because of the virgin birth the condemnation of sin was NOT passed on by a human father to Jesus. And, even though, Jesus had the ability of a human to sin, he remained sinless to His death on the cross.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Sep 12
1 edit

Having sex within marriage is not a sin. (For those that believe having sex is sinful.)

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Sep 12

Having sex within marriage is not a sin. (For those that believe having sex is sinful.)
Original sin is a sexually transmitted disease, pinhead.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Sep 12
1 edit

(Of course, why should an Egyptian fragment have any value?)
Yes, of course.

Finally, a cogent thought!

Coptics? Seriously?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Sep 12
1 edit

Original sin is a sexually transmitted disease, pinhead.
But original sin is only transmitted through the male, as Paul points out in the scripture I quoted from Romans and highlighted in bold for everyone to see, numbnuts!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Sep 12

But original sin is only transmitted through the male, as Paul points out in the scripture I quoted from Romans and highlighted in bold for everyone to see, numbnuts!
Obviously no Christian can believe Jesus sinned. Jesus is God as well as being the unblemished sacrificial offering. Jesus was therefore without original sin. The problem then arises, if Jesus was without original sin, how could Jesus experience concupiscence, the sexual appetite. As early Christians have long maintained, while marriage is in itself a holy thing, the sexual appetite is not. That comes from the original sin and, while not sinful in the context of marriage, is not part of God's plan. The issue then would be how God could have this sexual appetite.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Sep 12

Obviously no Christian can believe Jesus sinned. Jesus is God as well as being the unblemished sacrificial offering. Jesus was therefore without original sin. The problem then arises, if Jesus was without original sin, how could Jesus experience concupiscence, the sexual appetite. As early Christians have long maintained, while marriage is in itself ...[text shortened]... ge, is not part of God's plan. The issue then would be how God could have this sexual appetite.
Isn't sexual appetite part of the reproductive process?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Sep 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Isn't sexual appetite part of the reproductive process?
Well, for traditional Christianity, no. The first man was not intended to have sexual appetites, nor even die.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
20 Sep 12

What do you think was the entire point of Jesus having a virgin birth? Do you have any idea at all?

What was the point?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Sep 12

Well, for traditional Christianity, no. The first man was not intended to have sexual appetites, nor even die.
God did not make Eve just to help Adam tend the garden. If so, he would have made Steve. But instead God made the most beautiful woman, who has ever lived with sexual organs capable of reproduction. God purposely made Eve so beautiful and sexy that Adam would get aroused and do it.

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it...
(Genesis 1:27-28 NKJV)

Did you get that? Be fruitful and multiply - that means have sex

This was before any original sin, my friend.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Sep 12
1 edit

God did not make Eve just to help Adam tend the garden. If so, he would have made Steve. But instead God made the most beautiful woman, who has ever lived with sexual organs capable of reproduction. God purposely made Eve so beautiful and sexy that Adam would get aroused and do it.

[b]So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created ...[text shortened]... was before any original sin, my friend.

[/b]
You may have many reasons in favour of a married Christ. I don't particularly care. The point is simply that a married God presents problems for mainstream Christology. It is difficult to reconcile the idea of Christ as God and saviour of mankind with the idea that he was a family man, with particular erotic desires to one man. You may disagree. But I am not interested in arguing the point per se, only to point out that it is a problem for the main brand of Christianity.

You may however want to consider these verses, which fairly clearly discuss Christ's "marriage":

23 Because the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ is the head of the church. He is the saviour of his body. 24 Therefore as the church is subject to Christ: so also let the wives be to their husbands in all things. 25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ also loved the church and delivered himself up for it: 26 That he might sanctify it, cleansing it by the laver of water in the word of life: 27 That he might present it to himself, a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 28 So also ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no man ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, as also Christ does the church: 30 Because we are members of him, body, of his flesh and of his bones. Ephesians. 5.23-30.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Sep 12

You may have many reasons in favour of a married Christ. I don't particularly care. The point is simply that a married God presents problems for mainstream Christology. It is difficult to reconcile the idea of Christ as God and saviour of mankind with the idea that he was a family man, with particular erotic desires to one man. You may disagree. But I am no ...[text shortened]... : 30 Because we are members of him, body, of his flesh and of his bones. Ephesians. 5.23-30.
I still fail to see any problem with Jesus as a man and as a Jewish rabbi being married, as is expected of all Jewish Rabbis.

Question:

I was wondering whether rabbis are allowed to get married. In my religion the priests do not marry - is it the same in Judaism?

Answer:

I once had this exact conversation with a taxi driver. He was Catholic and asked me if rabbis marry. I told him that not only are rabbis allowed to marry, they are obligated to marry. "Be fruitful and multiply" is a command to all, regardless of career or position in the community.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/248162/jewish/Can-a-Rabbi-Get-Married.htm