Jericho

SubscriberFMF
Spirituality 02 Mar '23 04:13
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '23 04:131 edit
    It's said, according to the scriptures the Hebrews wrote about themselves, that one reason God commanded them to murder every single resident of Jericho was because they were all ~ every man, woman, child and baby of them ~ "sinners". Why don't the Hebrews tell the the story of the Abrahamic God revealing his "will", the concept of "sin", and Mosaic Law to the people of Jericho - the things that they'd failed to live up to which made them "sinners" - that warranted genocide as a punishment?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Mar '23 21:27
    @fmf said
    It's said, according to the scriptures the Hebrews wrote about themselves, that one reason God commanded them to murder every single resident of Jericho was because they were all ~ every man, woman, child and baby of them ~ "sinners". Why don't the Hebrews tell the the story of the Abrahamic God revealing his "will", the concept of "sin", and Mosaic Law to the people of Jericho ...[text shortened]... hat they'd failed to live up to which made them "sinners" - that warranted genocide as a punishment?
    I dont thing there is one instance where God did not warn people before they were wiped out. Maybe there are stories in the bible of people being destroyed and the part about who preached and what was preached was omitted.

In the case of Jericho, Jewish history {and the bible], tells of prophets living and preaching among the inhabitants of Jericho. Two of these were Elijah and Elisha. Generally people are warned over the course of a generation or two, they are ignored and then action is taken.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '23 22:211 edit
    @Rajk999
    Does this mean the ancient Hebrews were converting other non-Jewish erhnic groups or tribes to Judaism [so to speak]?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Mar '23 22:331 edit
    @rajk999 said
    I dont thing there is one instance where God did not warn people before they were wiped out. Maybe there are stories in the bible of people being destroyed and the part about who preached and what was preached was omitted.

In the case of Jericho, Jewish history {and the bible], tells of prophets living and preaching among the inhabitants of Jericho. Two of these were Elij ...[text shortened]... people are warned over the course of a generation or two, they are ignored and then action is taken.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Mar '23 22:34
    @fmf said
    @Rajk999
    Does this mean the ancient Hebrews were converting other non-Jewish erhnic groups or tribes to Judaism [so to speak]?
    Not at all. I dont think any of the prophets sent to preach anywhere ever preached Judaism. The Law of Moses was for the Jews and there was a special reason for that.

In the case of Jonah and Ninevah, the message was about keeping away from sin and evil.... lies, murder, rape, worshipping of and sacrificing children to idols etc, and being kind to ones neighbour.

Prophets sent by God to surrounding nations, although Jews, did not preach keeping of the hundreds of laws and precepts listed in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. They were all basic commonsense guidelines for good living, much like what Jesus preached when he came.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '23 00:05
    @rajk999 said
    In the case of Jonah and Ninevah, the message was about keeping away from sin and evil.... lies, murder, rape, worshipping of and sacrificing children to idols etc, and being kind to ones neighbour.
    What religions were spawned by this messaging by the Hebrews?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Mar '23 00:19
    @fmf said
    What religions were spawned by this messaging by the Hebrews?
    I dont know really, but 'none' would be my guess .. the same way the preaching of Jesus produced no religion. What this kind of preaching does is promote a lifestyle which if adhered to leads to eternal life in the Kingdom of God. Religion on the other hand leads to useless dogma and hypocrisy, [which Jesus encountered when he started his ministry among the Jews] and eventually to damnation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree