1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '23 11:12
    I mean specifically in the U.S. And by theocracy I mean of the Christian kind. And no, I don't mean ALL conservatives. I mean those that openly mix talk of God and the Bible with their talk of political diagnoses and solutions.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Mar '23 15:211 edit
    @fmf said
    I mean specifically in the U.S. And by theocracy I mean of the Christian kind. And no, I don't mean ALL conservatives. I mean those that openly mix talk of God and the Bible with their talk of political diagnoses and solutions.
    You're pretty close, but not quite. Many conservatives in the U.S. use scripture as a political tool, but in reality, they have little interest following the teachings of Christ. For them, the Bible is simply a device they use to hang on to political power.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '23 22:591 edit
    @mchill said
    You're pretty close, but not quite. Many conservatives in the U.S. use scripture as a political tool, but in reality, they have little interest following the teachings of Christ. For them, the Bible is simply a device they use to hang on to political power.
    A Christian theocracy can be a form of - or approach to - governance imposed on a nation regardless of whether or not you are personally satisfied that its instigators and supporters are "following the teachings of Christ".
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Mar '23 21:55
    @fmf said
    There is definitely a Christian political agenda afoot in the land of the free, but I doubt they really want a bishop as head of state. So, no, technically, not a theocracy; but definitely a Christian agenda: no homosexual relations, no abortion, no sex outside of marriage between one man and one woman, no other genders than male and female, no swapping genders, teaching Genesis as if it were science in the public school system, teaching that evolution is ‚just a theory’ and didn’t really happen, etc.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '23 09:03
    @fmf said
    Religion is leveraged in many counties to control the masses, it always seems to have a deleterious impact on freedom and social well being. The US seems to be heading towards at least a partial theocracy. If there can be such a thing.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Mar '23 15:34
    @fmf said
    The "goal" of conservatives is the rule of law based on the Constitution.

Political/theological motives notwithstanding. The establishment of a church/state was not intended by the founders, though many were heavily influenced by their faith in the Christian God.

And not to be dismissed is the constitutional fact that political leaders serve at the behest of the people.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Mar '23 15:42
    @divegeester said
    The US seems to be heading towards at least a partial theocracy.
    Never gonna happen.

Things are bad enough here without a bunch of Christian ayatollahs assuming power in the name of God. Religious leaders belong in the pulpit, and not in positions of political power.

My two cents.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '23 05:28
    @josephw said
    Never gonna happen.

Things are bad enough here without a bunch of Christian ayatollahs assuming power in the name of God. Religious leaders belong in the pulpit, and not in positions of political power.

My two cents.
    But it is already happening, the right wing Christian agenda is driving a political narrative and revised laws. The overturning of Roe vs Wade is an obvious example.

Odd that you cannot see this.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '23 09:57
    @josephw said
    The "goal" of conservatives is the rule of law based on the Constitution.
    I think the goal of the conservative powers that be in the U.S., currently, is to gain power even if the methods used are not in the spirit of the constitution because the agenda they espouse has become out of step with demographic change.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '23 10:00
    @fmf said
    I think the goal of the conservative powers that be in the U.S., currently, is to gain power even if the methods used are not in the spirit of the constitution because the agenda they espouse has become out of step with demographic change.
    The trappings of theocracy and other culture war stuff are a distraction from the demographic crisis conservativism faces.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree