1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 11:02
    @fmf said
    Have you ever met any non-believers who actually and literally fear retribution and punishment at the hands of the Christian God?

If so, how did they explain it?
    Only once . "Just covering all the bases in case I am wrong " was what he said when I asked why he had become a church goer in his later years.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 11:03
    @moonbus said
    Yes, you nailed it. Fear is not rational and belief is only sometimes so or only partially so. Sometimes fear and belief and reason jive, sometimes they don't. So, yes, some people are confused, and frightened, both at once.
    That leaves the question of what could possibly be the moral purpose of making unbelievable threats of retribution and punishment at the hands of the Christian God and aiming them at non-believers? "Divine" moral logic surely would not be so weak and half-baked ~ if there were to be such a thing.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 11:12
    @moonbus said
    Yes, you nailed it. Fear is not rational and belief is only sometimes so or only partially so. Sometimes fear and belief and reason jive, sometimes they don't. So, yes, some people are confused, and frightened, both at once.
    I call it the 'Inferno Tennis Ball Effect.' (I will sue anyone who copies that expression without written permission).

Imagine someone is going to throw you a tennis ball to catch from close range. (A gentle underarm throw). Now, you believe 100% that you will catch the ball. You are as confident as you could be that you would catch it. - But then you discover that if you were to drop the tennis ball (no matter how impossible that was) you 'COULD' as a direct consequence (as impossible as that sounded) spend all eternity burning in hell...

Would you still be as confident in your catch?
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 11:15
    @fmf said
    That leaves the question of what could possibly be the moral purpose of making unbelievable threats of retribution and punishment at the hands of the Christian God and aiming them at non-believers? "Divine" moral logic surely would not be so weak and half-baked ~ if there were to be such a thing.
    At the time these ancient documents were written, 'fear' of such things was a bigger motivator. Fire and Brimstone preachers don't get so much traction in the modern age.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 11:49
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    At the time these ancient documents were written, 'fear' of such things was a bigger motivator. Fire and Brimstone preachers don't get so much traction in the modern age.
    In other words, it's a rather primitive take on morality.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 13:22
    @FMF

For someone for whom it doesn't matter one way or the other you sure like to harp on the subject.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 13:25
    Shrug, Yawn

" Why it means nothing to me one way or the other."

- post after post after post after post on damnation.
    "Talk about it. Talk about it. Talk about it."
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 13:34
    @sonship said
    @FMF

For someone for whom it doesn't matter one way or the other you sure like to harp on the subject.
    I find the moral incoherence of your "perfect morality" interesting.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 13:37
    @sonship said
    - post after post after post after post on damnation.
    "Talk about it. Talk about it. Talk about it."
    You are the forum's Colonel Kurtz.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 13:552 edits
    @FMF

I find the moral incoherence of your "perfect morality" interesting.

I find the incoherence of there not being an ultimate perfect moral Being.

That's the incoherence of atheism.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 14:03
    @suzianne said
    Rather than a specific, like vampires, when I was a little kid (6 or 7, by adolescence I was pretty comfortable in the dark in my room) the thing to be afraid of at night was more along the lines of generic 'monsters'. And yes, word among my friends and I was that there was indeed something magical about bedcovers, the monsters couldn't touch them, so as long as you were under them, you were safe. 🙂
    Certain tunes, if sung, hummed, or whistled, are also effective in warding off monsters. Even if they are deaf. "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..." is one of them.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 14:071 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I call it the 'Inferno Tennis Ball Effect.' (I will sue anyone who copies that expression without written permission).

Imagine someone is going to throw you a tennis ball to catch from close range. (A gentle underarm throw). Now, you believe 100% that you will catch the ball. You are as confident as you could be that you would catch it. - But then you discover that ...[text shortened]... hat sounded) spend all eternity burning in hell...

Would you still be as confident in your catch?
    I call this the 'don't look down effect' and I copyright it.

You learn to walk a tightrope two inches above ground until you can do it blindfolded. Now try it across the Grand Canyon. Even on a windless day, it's the same but it's not the same.

The salient difference is that one imagines different possible consequences of getting it wrong. Imagination is quite sufficient to engender fear, even if the likelihood of the consequences is improbable or remote in time.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 16:551 edit
    @moonbus said
    I call this the 'don't look down effect' and I copyright it.

You learn to walk a tightrope two inches above ground until you can do it blindfolded. Now try it across the Grand Canyon. Even on a windless day, it's the same but it's not the same.

The salient difference is that one imagines different possible consequences of getting it wrong. Imagination is quite sufficient to engender fear, even if the likelihood of the consequences is improbable or remote in time.
    I have a salient fear of jelly. (And the many possible consequences of getting it wrong).

Am I alone in this?

Speak now...
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 18:33
    @sonship said
    I find the incoherence of there not being an ultimate perfect moral Being.

That's the incoherence of atheism.
    Why would it torture people in burning flames for eternity after they die? What would be the "moral" purpose of that?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 23:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree