1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 10:20
    Have you ever met any non-believers who actually and literally fear retribution and punishment at the hands of the Christian God?

If so, how did they explain it?
  2. Joined
    01 Mar '19
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 10:32
    Thank god I'm an atheist!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 12:471 edit
    @fmf said
    Have you ever met any non-believers who actually and literally fear retribution and punishment at the hands of the Christian God?

It is easily explained:

The ideology of a retribution and torture driven god is a thought-weapon™ designed to keep potentially rebellious Christians in denominational line and paying their monetary tithes into the coffers of the corporate body to which they proclaim allegiance.

Whilst the message may have carried some initial coercive weight in the late 19th and early 20th century, in contemporary times it really only appeals to cultists and religionists who enjoy lording over the laity with a mindset of fear and judgment.

It modern parlance it’s mind control, brain washing, it’s fear mongering nonsense which doesn’t bear the slightest moral scrutiny.

Edit: for any new forum members info, I am a Christian.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 12:49
    @fmf said

I have knows non-believers who fear this alleged retribution and they spend the rest of their lives in fear unable to explain it. Indoctrination is a truly dangerous thing.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 13:38
    @fmf said

The straight answer would be 'no.' Fearing something that one has no belief in does, on the face of it, sound rather silly.

That said, I don't believe in vampires, but spent much of my adolescence pulling the sheets up high around my neck at night, just in case. (Cotton sheets apparently stop vampires in their tracks).
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 15:15
    @fmf said

Fear is not always rational or subject to rational explanation. While I have not known such people as you describe, I can imagine that such people exist. I can imagine someone not being able to get himself to believe that the God of Scripture really exists, because he finds rational proofs of the existence of such a God inconclusive or faulty, but still being terribly afraid that that God does exist and will take a terrible retribution against non-believers. I would can such a condition "moral neurosis."
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '19 20:29
    @moonbus said
    Fear is not always rational or subject to rational explanation. While I have not known such people as you describe, I can imagine that such people exist. I can imagine someone not being able to get himself to believe that the God of Scripture really exists, because he finds rational proofs of the existence of such a God inconclusive or faulty, but still being terribly afraid ...[text shortened]... ll take a terrible retribution against non-believers. I would can such a condition "moral neurosis."
    To be clear; you imagine that there are atheists who believe that there is a god who will punish them for not believing he exists?
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 07:34
    @divegeester said
    To be clear; you imagine that there are atheists who believe that there is a god who will punish them for not believing he exists?
    No, I don't think that is what he is saying.

It is more the case of there being atheists who don't believe God exists and yet still have an underlying fear that 'if they were wrong' such a God might punish them for not believing in Him. (An irrational fear).
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 08:20
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

It is more the case of there being atheists who don't believe God exists and yet still have an underlying fear that 'if they were wrong' such a God might punish them for not believing in Him. (An irrational fear).
    That is some mixed up peeps right there.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 09:28
    @divegeester said
    That is some mixed up peeps right there.
    The notion of 'eternal suffering in hell' will do that to a chap.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 09:36
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The notion of 'eternal suffering in hell' will do that to a chap.
    I guess it’s what came first, the paranoia or the hellfire.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 10:05
    @fmf said

No, obviously.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 10:11
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The straight answer would be 'no.' Fearing something that one has no belief in does, on the face of it, sound rather silly.

That said, I don't believe in vampires, but spent much of my adolescence pulling the sheets up high around my neck at night, just in case. (Cotton sheets apparently stop vampires in their tracks).
    Rather than a specific, like vampires, when I was a little kid (6 or 7, by adolescence I was pretty comfortable in the dark in my room) the thing to be afraid of at night was more along the lines of generic 'monsters'. And yes, word among my friends and I was that there was indeed something magical about bedcovers, the monsters couldn't touch them, so as long as you were under them, you were safe. 🙂
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 10:52
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Yes, you nailed it. Fear is not rational and belief is only sometimes so or only partially so. Sometimes fear and belief and reason jive, sometimes they don't. So, yes, some people are confused, and frightened, both at once.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '19 10:56
    @suzianne said
    No, obviously.
    Then what is going on? Do you think the threat of retribution and punishment at the hands of the Christian God is [1] intended to coerce or persuade non-believers to become believers, or [2] it is intended to have some effect on people who are already believers? The threat may be empty and far-fetched but it must exist [in amongst the doctrine] for a reason, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree