Growing up in  Jehovah Witness home

Growing up in Jehovah Witness home

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
46d

@galveston75 said
I've answered you many times. It is you that can't understand what the scriptures I've quoted to you explain. Perhaps you should not "lean on your own understanding" as the Bible says and pray to Jehovah for assistance.....
So as long as you keep asking a question that you don't understand, you must not be asking for Jehovah to help you? Give it a try....
The problem is 'you' learn from somebody else's understanding, somebody who has strayed from scripture. That is the problem 'you' have.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
46d

@galveston75 said
So...Of course I'm probably the only JW here I suppose. First I'm very suspicious of those links and stories. I hope no parents ever treat their children like not no matter the reasons the parents come up with. And no matter the religious beliefs or non religion they are a part of, I would hope that the right authorities or whoever would or could get involved in the worst ...[text shortened]... se done in other very dominant religions by their own priest?????
Why does he never mention those?
Have you told your children "Happy Birthday"?
Have you told your mother "Happy Mothers Day"
Have you ever said "Merry Christmas" to anyone.

These are simple comments that wish people well. It is like "Good Morning, have a nice day". There is nothing evil or sinister about these greetings. They are part of our society and there are no pagan origins that you can complain about.

If you dont do some of these simple things your children will grow up retarded and feeling ridiculed by their peers.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
46d
1 edit

I am not a real religious person, but I do say my prayers and think everyone should be able to do their own thing when it comes to Religion. We may not agree with many, but we all should have the right to live our lives in the Religion we think is best for us.
We usually wind up practicing what our parents did, but some of us do go our own way as we grow up. I can not imagine what it must be like not celebrating Holidays and Birthdays, but if one has never done it, what is there to miss? Children have always called other children names and made fun of them, that I haven't seen change a whole over my many decades in this world.

-VR

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
46d

@divegeester said
No God told the Israelites to go in and take the land while putting to death every man woman child and animal. This was long after the Ten Commandments were given.

So your idea that Christians are not to go to war because of the commandment “thou shalt not kill” doesn’t add up.
It certainly does, and I referenced Jesus as part of my response sir.

The Commandments were part of the law given to Moses, which remained in effect until the death of Christ who fulfilled the law.

Just before his death Jesus told his disciples that he was giving two commandments which the whole of the law hung. These were to (1) love with your whole soul, and (2) love your neighbor as yourself.

Bombing somebody in a foreign country or strafing them with a machine gun is hardly showing love. The prohibition on murder was never lifted.

Now on the subject of taking life Jesus also spoke this way at John 8:44

"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

If you murder people all you do is continue in the path of the wicked one.

Again, if Christians had held the line there wouldn't have been a second world war.

What is your position DG, that it is OK for Christians to kill?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
46d

@medullah said

The Commandments were part of the law given to Moses, which remained in effect until the death of Christ who fulfilled the law.

Just before his death Jesus told his disciples that he was giving two commandments which the whole of the law hung. These were to (1) love with your whole soul, and (2) lo ...[text shortened]... n't have been a second world war.

You do know of course, that many believe none of what you said ever happened?

-VR

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
46d
1 edit

@medullah said

Yes.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war,and a time of peace. (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 KJV)

God made these things, not Satan. God called the Jews to war against many people. God called on them to wipe out certain tribes completely.

There is no part of the bible that you can quote where a man should not protect himself and his family, including killing the attacker, in the event where their lives are threatened.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
46d

@medullah said

Just before his death Jesus told his disciples that he was giving two commandments which the whole of the law hung. These were to (1) love with your whole soul, and (2) lo ...[text shortened]... n't have been a second world war.

Make your mind up Medullah…

Is the commandment “thou shalt not kill” relevant today or not?

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
46d

@very-rusty said
You do know of course, that many believe none of what you said ever happened?

-VR
Hi VR

My perspective was that was that of scriptural, as the quotation was relegate to Christians. If you are saying that many Christians don't believe the scriptures then i wonder where their belief comes from?

Give me an example if you could, I'm always intrigued.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
46d

@medullah said

Kill, yes; murder, no.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
46d

@rajk999 said
Yes.

[i]To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away ...[text shortened]... mself and his family, including killing the attacker, in the event where their lives are threatened.
Or, in warfare. A nation has a right to protect itself.

These are not murder, which is best described as "in cold blood", such as killing someone for personal benefit.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
45d
1 edit

@medullah said
In warfare, yes of course.

God set that precedent in the Old Testament when he sent the Israelites into war commanding them to kill and showing that killing in warfare was NOT a contradiction to “thou shalt not kill / do no murder”.

Moves
45d

It's really a shame that God's Big Ten did not come with some of His footnotes. Leaving His written word open to many interpretations which allows room for loopholes, and people toss it around as they see fit for themselves. Perhaps that's why He embodied his Holy text through His Living Word.....His only Begotten Word/Son.

I cannot help feeling, Phaedrus, that writing is unfortunately like painting; for the creations of the painter have the attitude of life, and yet if you ask them a question they preserve a solemn silence. And the same may be said of speeches. You would imagine that they had intelligence, but if you want to know anything and put a question to one of them, the speaker always gives one unvarying answer. And when they have been once written down they are tumbled about anywhere among those who may or may not understand them, and know not to whom they should reply, to whom not: and, if they are maltreated or abused, they have no parent to protect them; and they cannot protect or defend themselves.

PHAEDRUS: That again is most true.

SOCRATES: Is there not another kind of word or speech far better than this, and having far greater power–a son of the same family, but lawfully begotten?

PHAEDRUS: Whom do you mean, and what is his origin?

SOCRATES: I mean an intelligent word graven in the soul of the learner, which can defend itself, and knows when to speak and when to be silent.

PHAEDRUS: You mean the living word of knowledge which has a soul, and of which the written word is properly no more than an image?

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”

SOCRATES: Yes, of course that is what I mean. And now may I be allowed to ask you a question: Would a husbandman, who is a man of sense, take the seeds, which he values and which he wishes to bear fruit, and in sober seriousness plant them during the heat of summer, in some garden of Adonis, that he may rejoice when he sees them in eight days appearing in beauty? at least he would do so, if at all, only for the sake of amusement and pastime. But when he is in earnest he sows in fitting soil, and practises husbandry, and is satisfied if in eight months the seeds which he has sown arrive at perfection?

PHAEDRUS: Yes, Socrates, that will be his way when he is in earnest; he will do the other, as you say, only in play.

SOCRATES: And can we suppose that he who knows the just and good and honourable has less understanding, than the husbandman, about his own seeds?

PHAEDRUS: Certainly not.

SOCRATES: Then he will not seriously incline to ’write’ his thoughts ’in water’ with pen and ink, sowing words which can neither speak for themselves nor teach the truth adequately to others?

PHAEDRUS: No, that is not likely.

That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
44d

@pettytalk said
It's really a shame that God's Big Ten did not come with some of His footnotes. Leaving His written word open to many interpretations which allows room for loopholes, and people toss it around as they see fit for themselves. Perhaps that's why He embodied his Holy text through His Living Word.....His only Begotten Word/Son.

I cannot help feeling, Phaedrus, that writing ...[text shortened]... it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. Whoever has ears, let them hear.”
The real shame is that you lack the ability to write clearly and make you point succinctly. Nobody reads all that mumbo jumbo you write.

Moves
44d

@rajk999 said
The real shame is that you lack the ability to write clearly and make you point succinctly. Nobody reads all that mumbo jumbo you write.
To be clear, you are not a nobody. You must have read it to assess it as mumbo jumbo?

You are very ignorant, and lack the necessary academic perception to decipher mumbo jumbo. You are definitely overly prejudiced, and not just towards the Palestinians. Do yourself a favor and stop reading my mumbo jumbo, because you'll never understand it, clearly.

And no one has to tell you to go to hell, as you are more than capable of going there all on your own. In fact, you already have one foot inside that door, but don't know it yet. You will know it soon enough and get the point, as the Devil will, succinctly, see to it personally, using his symbolic three-pointed trident, virtually.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
44d

@pettytalk said
To be clear, you are not a nobody. You must have read it to assess it as mumbo jumbo?

You are very ignorant, and lack the necessary academic perception to decipher mumbo jumbo. You are definitely overly prejudiced, and not just towards the Palestinians. Do yourself a favor and stop reading my mumbo jumbo, because you'll never understand it, clearly.

And no one has to ...[text shortened]... e Devil will, succinctly, see to it personally, using his symbolic three-pointed trident, virtually.
Learn to write. Gifted academics have the ability to write clearly so that even the most uneducated person can read and understand. It is the mediocre loud mouths who are incapable to expressing themselves clearly.

I notice you seem to have the ability to tell who is going to hell. Where you got that from?