Good sci-fi is about the present

Good sci-fi is about the present

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Feb 22

@fmf said
What "wrongdoing" by posters are you talking about?

I will "go after" wrongdoing if my moral compass detects it, and if it impinges on me or overlaps with me in a way that warrants interaction.

You are free to do the same. You can use the Bible to "go after "wrongdoers" if you want. It's up to you.

Maybe their moral compasses are lacking? The way you can decide this is to use your moral compass.
I think your “moral compass” is long overdue for a tuneup and a fresh set of batteries.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Feb 22

@fmf said
I don't believe in the "rule giver" you describe, so that's a philosophical cul-de-sac. So, "nature and nurture" is the most plausible analysis.

I am open to the possibility that a creator entity is responsible for my consciousness and my "nature" which enables my "nurture" to construct a moral compass so that my conscience can operate.

Maybe there is a creator entity tha ...[text shortened]... giver" and the Bible, meanwhile, just sounds like the superstitious counterpart of retail politics.
Nature and nurture have no set standards they are purely subjective and are just one of many subjective accretions.

F

Moves
09 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Nature and nurture have no set standards they are purely subjective and are just one of many subjective accretions.
Such is the reality of moral compasses as I see them.

Your "subjective accretion" is your "subjective accretion" and my "subjective accretion" is my "subjective accretion".

Feel free to use your "subjective accretion" to evaluate and judge my "subjective accretion".

And I will use my "subjective accretion" to make what I will of your "subjective accretion".

If the Bible is a strong influence on your conscience, that's fine, KellyJay. It's perfectly understandable. It's something you have absorbed from your environment and it resonates with you. Go for it.

However, your behaviour as a free moral agent stands on its own and you must take responsibility for it.

This is regardless of what books you have read in order to figure out how you think you should live your life.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Feb 22

@fmf said
Such is the reality of moral compasses as I see them.

Your "subjective accretion" is your "subjective accretion" and my "subjective accretion" is my "subjective accretion".

Feel free to use your "subjective accretion" to evaluate and judge my "subjective accretion".

And I will use my "subjective accretion" to make what I will of your "subjective accretion".

If the ...[text shortened]... gardless of what books you have read in order to figure out how you think you should live your life.
Well if all knowledge to you is subjective then truth resides only in how you look at things. The world around you has no mystery to it you only see and believe what you want to see and believe.

F

Moves
09 Feb 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Well if all knowledge to you is subjective then truth resides only in how you look at things.
We can only speculate about supernatural beings and phenomena, KellyJay. No matter how sincere and certain you are about the things you have faith in, they do not transform into "objective" and "absolute" truths. If they did, I would believe them too.

F

Moves
09 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
The world around you has no mystery to it you only see and believe what you want to see and believe.
This is utter nonsense, KellyJay.

F

Moves
09 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Well if all knowledge to you is subjective then truth resides only in how you look at things.
all knowledge to you is subjective

Come on KellyJay, don't say such silly things. There is no point whatsoever in you attributing such inane beliefs to me ~ for your strawman purposes ~ when I am telling you so MUCH about what my beliefs actually are.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Feb 22
1 edit

@fmf said
We can only speculate about supernatural beings and phenomena, KellyJay. No matter how sincere and certain you are about the things you have faith in, they do not transform into "objective" and "absolute" truths. If they did, I would believe them too.
Everything is a speculation but it doesn’t mean there are not things that are true in-spite of our opinions and beliefs. Hard facts are hard facts if what was written is true then the vast majority of all human speculation is false and in error concerning many topics.

F

Moves
09 Feb 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Everything is a speculation but it doesn’t mean there are not things that are true in-spite of our opinions and beliefs.
Everything stemming from speculation about supernatural things is subjective ~ including your sincerity and certainty that your personal speculations and aspirations have supposedly established "things that are true" for both of us.

F

Moves
09 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Hard facts are hard facts if what was written is true then the vast majority of all human speculation is false and in error concerning many topics.
Yes, "hard facts are hard facts" but you can't establish any "hard facts" about stuff like torture in burning in flames for eternity and it's immoral to worship [what you think are] false Gods.

What you absolutely, totally and utterly believe, with great certainty and earnestness, will be proven to be "true" after we die...

...does not establish any "hard facts" about the supposed afterlife while we are still alive.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Feb 22

@fmf said
Yes, "hard facts are hard facts" but you can't establish any "hard facts" about stuff like torture in burning in flames for eternity and it's immoral to worship [what you think are] false Gods.

What you absolutely, totally and utterly believe, with great certainty and earnestness, will be proven to be "true" after we die...

...does not establish any "hard facts" about the supposed afterlife while we are still alive.
I believe what is written for those who seek Him with all their hearts will also know in this life. All the speculators those who simply dabbled whose hearts are far from God will be confronted with the truth but to late for repentance and God’s grace. That is for those here and now.

F

Moves
09 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
I believe what is written for those who seek Him with all their hearts will also know in this life. All the speculators those who simply dabbled whose hearts are far from God will be confronted with the truth but to late for repentance and God’s grace. That is for those here and now.
Chalk these morality-related beliefs up to "nurture". From what you have stated, you clearly think you would do forbidden and evil things to people if you didn't believe the things you believe.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Feb 22

@fmf said
Chalk these morality-related beliefs up to "nurture". From what you have stated, you clearly think you would do forbidden and evil things to people if you didn't believe the things you believe.
Again we can believe whatever we choose to believe in, you might think people are lying about the toxic properties of something you like. Believing something that is wrong is dangerous and can have tragic consequences even in this life now let alone what is next.

F

Moves
09 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Again we can believe whatever we choose to believe in, you might think people are lying about the toxic properties of something you like. Believing something that is wrong is dangerous and can have tragic consequences even in this life now let alone what is next.
People lying? Toxic properties? Something dangerous? Tragic consequences? If believing in Jesus helps you to avoid these terrible-sounding things, there is no harm in it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Feb 22

@fmf said
People lying? Toxic properties? Something dangerous? Tragic consequences? If believing in Jesus helps you to avoid these terrible-sounding things, there is no harm in it.
You will have no excuse,