god is legit

god is legit

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
07 Jan 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I salute you and your efforts to help those need! 🙂 [no irony]

If you do it as a christian, then it's bad
If you do it as a humanitarian act, then it's good.

What's the difference? As a christian you hope to be rewarded in your afterlife.
An atheist wouldn't be that egoistic because he knows that there is no afterlife.
EVERYONE, christian or not does good things because some way, somehow, they are rewarded at the end. you can deny it all you want but every time you open a door for somebody and you get a bright smile and a thank you, it makes you feel good about yourself. if you don't get as little as a smile, you feel disappointed. nobody does good without a reward of SOME sort. i want to do good things because it makes me feel good about myself, that's my reward.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
07 Jan 10

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
EVERYONE, christian or not does good things because some way, somehow, they are rewarded at the end. you can deny it all you want but every time you open a door for somebody and you get a bright smile and a thank you, it makes you feel good about yourself. if you don't get as little as a smile, you feel disappointed. nobody does good without a reward o ...[text shortened]... E sort. i want to do good things because it makes me feel good about myself, that's my reward.
Didn't you see my post?

T

Moves
07 Jan 10
1 edit

EVERYONE, christian or not does good things because some way, somehow, they are rewarded at the end. you can deny it all you want but every time you open a door for somebody and you get a bright smile and a thank you, it makes you feel good about yourself. if you don't get as little as a smile, you feel disappointed. nobody does good without a reward o ...[text shortened]... E sort. i want to do good things because it makes me feel good about myself, that's my reward.
No, not EVERYONE. Just those who have "feeling good" at the center of their being, which unfortunately seems to be the vast majority. After you've "lived a little bit [more] of life", you'll come to see that this is true.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
07 Jan 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
No, not EVERYONE. Just those who have "feeling good" at the center of their being, which unfortunately seems to be the vast majority. After you've "lived a little bit [more] of life", you'll come to see that this is true.
Do you put "feeling bad" at the center of your life? Or feeling nothing?

Whilst I agree that the pursuit of mere pleasure and good feelings only is misguided and not spiritual , is there not a healthy way of feeling good about oneself that is also holy? I can't imagine Jesus went around glum and depressed all the time. What about joy for example?

I fear that once again the baby has been thrown out with the bath water.

T

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by knightmeister
Do you put "feeling bad" at the center of your life? Or feeling nothing?

Whilst I agree that the pursuit of mere pleasure and good feelings only is misguided and not spiritual , is there not a healthy way of feeling good about oneself that is also holy? I can't imagine Jesus went around glum and depressed all the time. What about joy for example?

I fear that once again the baby has been thrown out with the bath water.
And the stalking continues....

rc

Moves
08 Jan 10

And the stalking continues....
oh give it up! he responds to a public forum post and you are whining on, please restore what semblance of credibility you have left and reply in earnest to his assertions!

E

Moves
08 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
Didn't you see my post?
this forum is equivilent to nero and the roman christians. i would not recommend somebody to try to find god in here unless they wana get crucified as well. LOL.

T

Moves
08 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
oh give it up! he responds to a public forum post and you are whining on, please restore what semblance of credibility you have left and reply in earnest to his assertions!
You've never been one to let ignorance get in the way of your voicing an opinion.

rc

Moves
08 Jan 10
1 edit

You've never been one to let ignorance get in the way of your voicing an opinion.
nor whinging wussies! touché

Z

Moves
08 Jan 10

i was actually planning on giving the MAJORITY of the money i make to charity. ive already thought about these things, trust me. it's not about the sum of money you give away, it's about the percentage of your income. if i were to give my $500 check away every two weeks, it'd be worth more than if bill gates gave away a million because i would be givin ...[text shortened]... this crap? thanks a lot god." to me it is the SMALL things that will change your faith
i was actually planning on giving the MAJORITY of the money i make to charity.
you plan to give to charity? in the future? and you tell god "if" <condition> you will give. meaning you giving to charity and helping others is conditioned by god descending down and giving you something. you actually are haggling with god. "give me that, god, or i will not be a better person".
dude, the fact that you give 1 million to charity when you are making 1million and 100000 is commendable but still not medal worthy. you would still be having 100k a year and making a very nice living. true sacrifice would be if now, while you are poor and eat 2 potatoes only for lunch you give one to a dood that has no potatoes.

to me it is the SMALL things that will change your faith
huh? care to elaborate this? job didn't let the big things change his faith let alone the small things. what are you trying to say? that you will praise god when your sister/mother/father dies in a horrible accident but you will renounce him when you break your favourite coffee mug?

small things cannot change your faith. if they do, then big things will certainly mess it up. and what does that say about your faith?

i am pretty confident you are not half as bad as it is understood from your words. and maybe it's just me. but your posts make you sound like a pompous self-concerned a-hole. which is fine if that is the real you. i hope it isn't.

Z

Moves
08 Jan 10

actually i agree with him on this one. there is no selfless act. maybe some people do nice things without realizing the reward right then. but there is always a reward, be it a smile like venom said from the person involved, be it a certain "loan" of good deeds that you give to someone hoping you will get the same in return, be it to honor your parents that thaught you it's nice to keep the door open for a lady.

this is my opinion and subsequently my claim. as you can see it is very easy to refute. i will even help you: give one example of selfless act and my theory crumbles.
have fun finding it.

t

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
actually i agree with him on this one. there is no selfless act. maybe some people do nice things without realizing the reward right then. but there is always a reward, be it a smile like venom said from the person involved, be it a certain "loan" of good deeds that you give to someone hoping you will get the same in return, be it to honor your parents that ...[text shortened]... ven help you: give one example of selfless act and my theory crumbles.
have fun finding it.
I agree. Just the act of doing a "good deed" makes you feel good about yourself, which is reward in itself. Nothing wrong with that.

About Venom, he seems a bit young and naive. Maybe it's just a phase, or the start of a really profound journey. Only time can tell.

T

Moves
08 Jan 10

actually i agree with him on this one. there is no selfless act. maybe some people do nice things without realizing the reward right then. but there is always a reward, be it a smile like venom said from the person involved, be it a certain "loan" of good deeds that you give to someone hoping you will get the same in return, be it to honor your parents that ...[text shortened]... ven help you: give one example of selfless act and my theory crumbles.
have fun finding it.
How naive. Do you understand that that means that you would have to believe that in the entire history of mankind no one has ever performed an act of goodness that was not motivated by receiving some kind of reward?

E

Moves
08 Jan 10

[b]i was actually planning on giving the MAJORITY of the money i make to charity.
you plan to give to charity? in the future? and you tell god "if" <condition> you will give. meaning you giving to charity and helping others is conditioned by god descending down and giving you something. you actually are haggling with god. "give me that, god, or i will ...[text shortened]... a pompous self-concerned a-hole. which is fine if that is the real you. i hope it isn't.[/b]
im not telling god that im going to be a bad person if he doesnt bless me lol. its actually the opposite. god chose for some reason beyond me (maybe because he had foreseen that id be a good person) to bless me with an extremely high level of intelligence and a child prodigy-like artistic ability. before i ever had the chance to decide to be a good or a bad person i was ALREADY blessed; it's more like i finally woke up one day and said ok youve blessed me all these years, now i finally understand that i have to use my skills for a good purpose as opposed to a selfish one. i was a mean kid lol. i used to make fun of the other kids struggling in school and i thought it was so easy and i also used to have a big head when i was in high school because i was the best artist at my school but now i realize god didn't choose to give me my skills so that i could make fun of others and look down on others, but instead i should utilize my skills in a productive way. EVERY smart kid ive ever known went through an arrogant stage in high school, but most of them grow out of it. im not like alright god, give me success and ill give back to you. its more like ok god, youve ALREADY given me the tools i need so instead of abusing them, i will utilize them in a good way if you continue to bless me.
also, as far as the little things in life go; if you have a weak faith like i once did, you keep a mental tally of all the unlucky things that happen to you and little things will turn you away from god. its a lot like the movie Bruce Almighty; his life isnt bad but little things like stepping into a huge puddle of water and ruining his pants was enough to make him mad at god. now that i have an extremely strong fath, if stuff like that happens to me i look at the positive. ill say, "oh no, i have to spend another paycheck on my car because of a stupid mistake i made. well, at least i HAVE a job in this economy."

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Jan 10