Empathy and Morality

Empathy and Morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@hakima said
And while I think your opinion is a very broad generalisation, I do not think you are any less human for it.
You said that to Philokalia. I wonder if he is feeling dehumanized by me in my exchange with him.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20
1 edit

@hakima said
It is...on Page 1

Both terms were used.

I suppose that covers all bases, right?
Hey, that's five pages ago. That's "a pretty old drama to bring into here". Ha ha.

Edit: Ow. I just realized that I had started this thread Thread 186294 2 weeks ago and this one's OP could have been posted there.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@hakima said
It is...on Page 1

Both terms were used.

I suppose that covers all bases, right?
Oh, you were also confused about that -- you thought that invoking humanity and humanitarianism were the same thing?

I apologize and try to be more clear next time. ^^

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
Oh, you were also confused about that -- you thought that invoking humanity and humanitarianism were the same thing?

I apologize and try to be more clear next time. ^^
It's still not clear why you stated something blatantly untrue about having used the word "humanitarianism".

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
It's still not clear why you stated something blatantly untrue about having used the word "humanitarianism".
Oh, sorry, sir -- I had actually clarified this a bit on page 3.

Humanity is the concept; humanitarianism is the concept of being devoted to the welfare of humans.

They are related ideas, but invoking humanity is the key concept. Not invoking humanitarianism.

I had also pointed out what is the key concept -- invoking humanity, and claimign to be acting on behalf of humanity.

So sorry for the confusion.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
So sorry for the confusion.
No. It wasn't confusion. You were being untruthful and evasive. And you still are.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

Philokalia, do you have any concrete examples of people who you claim have been dehumanized by those who invoke humanitarianism or who have "misguided empathy"?

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
No. It wasn't confusion. You were being untruthful and evasive. And you still are.
I disagree.

But what can I say? If you believe that is the case, it is a shame if I contributed to misleading you this way.

Maybe you've read too far into this.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
This is actually wrong -- I did not say humanitarianism.
Perhaps a more honest approach would have been to say "I did say humanitarianism" rather than to say "I did not say humanitarianism" and to then clumsily try to pass it off as being someone else's "confusion". Just saying.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
Perhaps a more honest approach would have been to say "I did say humanitarianism" rather than to say "I did not say humanitarianism" and to then clumsily try to pass it off as being someone else's "confusion". Just saying.
Aw, but you see, humanitarianism was never the focal point.

It's OK. This isn't an important issue.

What do you think of the idea? Doesn't it match well with your OP?

Or do you honestly need an example to understand this?

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
Person A says something divisive and that holds ill will towards many, including Person B.

Person B then says something that is also divisive and full of ill will of their own, this time towards Person A.
@philokalia said: Person B then says something that is also divisive and full of ill will of their own, this time towards Person A.

Is "saying something that is divisive and full of ill will" one of your practical, real-world definitions of "dehumanization"?

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
Aw, but you see, humanitarianism was never the focal point.
But you said "I did not say humanitarianism" when, in fact, you had. What you claim was or wasn't "the focal point" is neither here nor there.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
Or do you honestly need an example to understand this?
All you have offered so far is a kind of propaganda and then danced and dodged and danced and deflected when asked to offer examples. So, yes, I think your examples would illustrate what you mean by the terms "dehumanize" or "dehumanization".

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
What do you think of the idea? Doesn't it match well with your OP?
I think your notion about "dehumanization" might be hyperbole and partisan rancour of an utterly ludicrous kind. But you are being secretive and defensive about giving examples of what you mean.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
@philokalia said: Person B then says something that is also divisive and full of ill will of their own, this time towards Person A.

Is "saying something that is divisive and full of ill will" one of your practical, real-world definitions of "dehumanization"?
No