1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 07:421 edit
    While most would agree that one's capacity for empathy is arguably an important basis for morally sound behaviour ~ and without forgetting that this is all in the realm of subjectivity ~ can empathy, in fact, lead to support for - or even participation in - morally unsound actions in certain situations, despite being virtuous in and of itself?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 09:28
    @fmf said
    While most would agree that one's capacity for empathy is arguably an important basis for morally sound behaviour ~ and without forgetting that this is all in the realm of subjectivity ~ can empathy, in fact, lead to support for - or even participation in - morally unsound actions in certain situations, despite being virtuous in and of itself?
    Yes I think so; a vicarious retaliation perhaps...

For example. a situation where you see a friend shouting a provocative but morally neutral slogan at someone or a group and that someone brings a couple of mates and does them over. You might feel a surge of empathy and steam in yourself to defend them.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 17:25
    Everything cozy here, "gents"?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 17:35
    @caesar-salad said
    Everything cozy here, "gents"?
    Hi Caesar Salad, what are you up to today?
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 19:54
    @divegeester said
    Hi Caesar Salad, what are you up to today?
    Hey.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 00:21
    @fmf said
    Great post.

It is completely true that misguided empathy can result in all sorts of injusitces.

People who begin to fight on behalf of "humanity" or any other nebulous value paint their opposition as cruel on a very fundamental level, and therefore worthy of cruelty, as it is actually very rare to meet a true pacifist.

The first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else.
  7. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 00:30
    @philokalia said
    Great post.

It is completely true that misguided empathy can result in all sorts of injusitces.

People who begin to fight on behalf of "humanity" or any other nebulous value paint their opposition as cruel on a very fundamental level, and therefore worthy of cruelty, as it is actually very rare to meet a true pacifist.

The first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else.
    Not me...I “fight” on behalf of populations, especially children who have been brutally traumatised, yet I always feel the trauma of the perpetrator as well. I do not wish them I’ll will.

And while I think your opinion is a very broad generalisation, I do not think you are any less human for it.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 00:58
    @philokalia said
    Do you feel you are ever dehumanized and treated cruelly by people who have "misguided empathy" for their fellow human beings? If so, can you give any examples of how their empathy was "misguided" and exactly how you were "dehumanized"?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 01:31
    @philokalia said
    Do you also believe that the first person who opposes or rejects those who invoke humanity and humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else?
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 01:41
    @hakima said
    Not me...I “fight” on behalf of populations, especially children who have been brutally traumatised, yet I always feel the trauma of the perpetrator as well. I do not wish them I’ll will.

And while I think your opinion is a very broad generalisation, I do not think you are any less human for it.
    I thank you for pointing out that there are exceptions.

While I did do so in my post, it is certainly important to hit that nail again for good measure.
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 01:45
    @fmf said
    Do you feel you are ever dehumanized and treated cruelly by people who have "misguided empathy" for their fellow human beings? If so, can you give any examples of how their empathy was "misguided" and exactly how you were "dehumanized"?
    This is not useful in terms of the personal, so it is a bad question. It should be kept on the level of the general as we are talking about how empathy/morality plays out broadly.

So, I will pass on these because I do not think it is the right direction to go in this discussion. 🙂
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 01:591 edit
    @philokalia said
    This is not useful in terms of the personal, so it is a bad question. It should be kept on the level of the general as we are talking about how empathy/morality plays out broadly.
    If you have no examples to offer, your sweeping generalization comes across as rather misanthropic and litlle more than a kind of poisoning of the well, as they say.

So, I think you are mistaken. I think it is a good question that gives you the opportunity to turn what sounded like wishy-washy partisan sneering into something more substantial or authentic about how empathy/morality plays out
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 02:00
    @philokalia said
    So, I will pass on these because I do not think it is the right direction to go in this discussion.
    You asserted that the first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else.

Do you also believe that the first person who opposes or rejects those who invoke humanity and humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else?
  14. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 02:07
    @philokalia said

So, I will pass on these because I do not think it is the right direction to go in this discussion. 🙂
    I disagree. Empathy is a personal virtue. The question of how empathy affects morality is one that is worthy of self reflection in the same way that one considers how personal philanthropy affects morality. Sometimes the questions that lead to this sort of self reflection are hard and doubly so when posed by another. The story of the man who went away sorrowing after Jesus admonished selling his possessions to benefit the poor in order to get to heaven comes to mind.
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 03:33
    @fmf said
    If you have no examples to offer, your sweeping generalization comes across as rather misanthropic and litlle more than a kind of poisoning of the well, as they say.

So, I think you are mistaken. I think it is a good question that gives you the opportunity to turn what sounded like wishy-washy partisan sneering into something more substantial or authentic about how empathy/morality plays out
    Oh, I have no issue with talking about how people who say humanity is X, and so people who do not support X are bigots, are dehumanizing others.

But this is not in a personal sense. It is the division of humanity into those who are humanitarian/good and those who are bigoted/bad.

I suppose sometimes it does become personal, as in literally saying that John Boy is a bigot because of X, but that is skating off into the territory of drama.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree