Empathy and Morality

Empathy and Morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
How is it too vague to comment on? Why does it need to be more narrow?

What did you have in mind?
I am asking for examples. Have a go at the various 'stakeholders' in the southern border issue. What dehumanization do you see there [in terms of morality and empathy]?

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
I refer you back to this statement:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/empathy-and-morality.186411/page-6#post_4248665
That wasn't a concrete example.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
You can explain that and the Southern border crisis if you like.
I've asked you to give your take on it to illustrate what you believe dehumanization is.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

How do you think concrete examples would help you understand the idea?

I think the idea is really clear.

Carl Schmitt didn't feel the need for concrete examples, and I understood the idea well enough.

Why do you need them?

I fear that you would only be sucked into them, and be drawn away from the idea.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
But, if it turns out that you ALSO believe that people who oppose those who invoke humanitarianism are prone to dehumanizing them, then why didn't you say so alongside the supposed dehumanization that you DID mention?

Like, where was that going? IDK.
You insisted that "the first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else". But you also believe that the first person who opposes or rejects those who invoke humanity and humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else, right? Why did you mention only the first one and then have to be pressed on expressing the second one?

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
The reason that quotations are used is because it is inherently educational to be exposed to great minds and important thinkers. No one really cares what FMF or Philokalia says in a forum, so what is the use of trying to keep track of what these nobodies on the internet think?

I think it is useful to quote important men and will continue to do so.
I don't care if you think Carl Schmitt is one of the "important men". Nor do I care if you would characterize yourself one of the "nobodies on the internet".

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
How do you think concrete examples would help you understand the idea?
Because your idea is coming across as a kind of scatter-pattern misanthropic propaganda aimed at people whose humanitarianism-oriented moral compasses you dislike or disapprove of. That is how your idea is coming across. Concrete examples might clear this up.

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
Carl Schmitt didn't feel the need for concrete examples, and I understood the idea well enough.

Why do you need them?
Because you are here propagating something that seems to be snide and rather akin to poisoning the well, and you seem to have no examples to back up your assertions because ~ apparently ~ Carl Schmitt didn't give you any.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
You insisted that "the first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else". But you also believe that the first person who opposes or rejects those who invoke humanity and humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else, right? Why did you mention only the first one and then have to be pressed on expressing the second one?
I do not know what you are trying to say, FMF.

Why did I mention only the first person? Why did I stop in the long line of potentialities?

What's your point?

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
Because you are here propagating something that seems to be snide and rather akin to poisoning the well, and you seem to have no examples to back up your assertions because ~ apparently ~ Carl Schmitt didn't give you any.
How am I poisoning the well?

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
Why did I mention only the first person? Why did I stop in the long line of potentialities?
Why didn't you also assert that 'the first person who opposes or rejects those who invoke humanity and humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else'?

It's what you believe, right?

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
How am I poisoning the well?
Your sneering and wishy-washy accusations about people who are oriented towards humanitarianism are being kept deliberately vague through a steadfast refusal to illustrate what you mean through concrete examples.

S. Korea

Moves
03 Aug 20

@fmf said
Because your idea is coming across as a kind of scatter-pattern misanthropic propaganda aimed at people whose humanitarianism-oriented moral compasses you dislike or disapprove of. That is how your idea is coming across. Concrete examples might clear this up.
Oh, it's a shame if I come off that way to you.

I actually am avoiding givign examples by design for two reasons

- I think you would actually derail discussion about the general idea through examples

- I think everyone can think of some examples, and it would be more interesting to work through those examples that people felt were pertinent and perhaps even come to conclusions about whether or not it applies.

- It would be more interesting to discuss the merits of the model and see some counter-models

That' smy idea about this and why I am avoiding it. ^^

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
The first person who invokes humanity & humanitarianism is often the first person to dehumanize someone else.
Is this a Carl Schmitt thing you are parrotting here?

F

Moves
03 Aug 20

@philokalia said
I think everyone can think of some examples, and it would be more interesting to work through those examples that people felt were pertinent and perhaps even come to conclusions about whether or not it applies.
I think you are worried that the examples you would give would portray you as a partisan misanthrope who likes to keep his disdain for people oriented towards humanitarianism vague and plausibly deniable when necessary.