Do we need God to make sense of life?

Do we need God to make sense of life?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
If there isn't a creator, none it matters; whatever we come up with will be no different than someone else's views, just another opinion. While if God is real, as God, He doesn't require a study to look at all of the variables to see which one makes the most sense. A make-believe God would still be us, attempting to put another layer of validation on our views, it is true because my God said so, or the gods said so.
"If there isn't a creator, none it matters"

I disagree.

A make-believe God would still be us, attempting to put another layer of validation on our views, it is true because my God said so, or the gods said so.

You spend a lot of time applying a "layer of validation on [your] views" while asserting "it is true because [your] God said so".

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said

I disagree.

A make-believe God would still be us, attempting to put another layer of validation on our views, it is true because my God said so, or the gods said so.

You spend a lot of time applying a "layer of validation on [your] views" while asserting "it is true because [your] God said so".
I use logic, history, as well as scripture, yes. If what I say has contradictions, call me out; truth will not contradict itself.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said

I disagree.

Are we leaving the OP to talk about me now?

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
I use logic, history, as well as scripture, yes. If what I say has contradictions, call me out; truth will not contradict itself.
I have never suggested that your faith is unthinking or not based on religious texts.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Are we leaving the OP to talk about me now?
We're talking about your personal opinions and the things you asserted in your post addressed to me, are we not? How are we "leaving the OP"?

Moves
09 Jan 22

@avalanchethecat said
Why do you think that our life and existence needs to make sense?
Similarly, I would ask: do we need to make sense of life?

Moves
09 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Personally, I don't think our own purpose goes any further than survival and procreation.
Maybe we should back up and define "purpose" -- because some prior or external intentionality seems to be implied here.

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
I have never suggested that your faith is unthinking or not based on religious texts.
Has anyone ever suggested that you should squirt mustard up your nostrils?

If not, they should have (in my view).

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
We're talking about your personal opinions and the things you asserted in your post addressed to me, are we not? How are we "leaving the OP"?
"it is true because [your] God said so".

If you make me part of the discussion then you make me part of the discussion. If we are talking about life in general I don't need to personally call you out, as you did me.

E

Moves
09 Jan 22

Can you believe whatever you want to believe? Of course.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
If you make me part of the discussion then you make me part of the discussion. If we are talking about life in general I don't need to personally call you out, as you did me.
If you are sharing your personal perspectives and opinions, then you are making yourself part of the discussion, regardless of whether you are talking about "life in general" or a very specific assertion about the reality in which we live. I did not "personally call you out". I simply responded to what you said. It is a discussion forum, after all. There is no need to be so brittle.

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
If you are sharing your personal perspectives and opinions, then you are making yourself part of the discussion, regardless of whether you are talking about "life in general" or a very specific assertion about the reality in which we live. I did not "personally call you out". I simply responded to what you said. It is a discussion forum, after all. There is no need to be so brittle.
There's no need to call anyone brittle, you arrogant jackass.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@eladar said
Can you believe whatever you want to believe? Of course.
Mmm. I don't think it's as simple as that when it comes to belief in supernatural things. I don't think someone who believes in Jesus, for example, can decide or choose not to. I think people realize that they believe things or realize they don't. It's not a point at which a decision is made. I don't think what someone "wants" in this regard has much bearing on what they believe.

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
Mmm. I don't think it's as simple as that when it comes to belief in supernatural things. I don't think someone who believes in Jesus, for example, can decide or choose not to. I think people realize that they believe things or realize they don't. It's not a point at which a decision is made. I don't think what someone "wants" in this regard has much bearing on what they believe.
Despite wanting to squirt mustard, horseradish, and ghost-pepper sauce up your nostrils, I'll admit I agree it's more likely than not that there are suprapersonal meshes involved in what we believe and disbelieve.

E

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
It is as simple as that.