Do we need God to make sense of life?

Do we need God to make sense of life?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Life is fleeting and rare. This intensifies the meaning, it doesn't negate it.

Chocolate has an expiry date. Does that mean there's no point in eating it?
<<Life is fleeting and rare. This intensifies the meaning, it doesn't negate it.>>

Meaning to who? The individual person?

Do you find meaning in giving red thumbs?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
<<Life is fleeting and rare. This intensifies the meaning, it doesn't negate it.>>

Meaning to who? The individual person?

Do you find meaning in giving red thumbs?
I haven't given you red thumbs. But sure, If I thumbed one down there would be a reason/meaning for doing so.

No man is an island. There is meaning in my own life (for me personally) though no doubt I have brought meaning to those around me, especially family and friends. Sorry to break it to you but everything in existence has an expiry date, including both of us. Make the most of life while you have it.

Contentious

Moves
08 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Personally, I don't think our own purpose goes any further than survival and procreation. In that sense, I share the same purpose as my cat.

I live entirely free of God or gods, but you are wrong in thinking my life is therefore void of sense or meaning. Far from it.
We can play Chess in Hell 🤗

You don't believe he exists and I hate him.

We can be roommates 😉

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I haven't given you red thumbs. But sure, If I thumbed one down there would be a reason/meaning for doing so.

No man is an island. There is meaning in my own life (for me personally) though no doubt I have brought meaning to those around me, especially family and friends. Sorry to break it to you but everything in existence has an expiry date, including both of us. Make the most of life while you have it.
<<Sorry to break it to you but everything in existence has an expiry date, including both of us.>>

Neither of us has an expiry date. Nor does any other human being.

<<Make the most of life while you have it.>>

Totally agree.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@contenchess said

We can be roommates 😉
I think most atheists hate God. That’s why they spend so much time trying to convince believers that He doesn’t exist. Atheists think that’s somehow an affront to God.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Jan 22

@contenchess said

We can be roommates 😉
Oh, I'm going to be downloaded onto a memory stick and live forever in cyberspace.

We're going to pickle your brain in vinegar.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
I think most atheists hate God. That’s why they spend so much time trying to convince believers that He doesn’t exist. Atheists think that’s somehow an affront to God.
Oh for the love of crackers.

I show you the respect of accepting you believe in God. Why are you unable to reciprocate and accept that atheists don't?

It is physically impossible for me to hate something I categorically do not believe in. Do you hate unicorns? Do you hate Lex Luther? Cybermen?

It's a complete cop-out when theists claim atheists hate God. It shows they are unable to listen or process that something that is vitally important to them is thoroughly rejected by somebody else. You need to deal with it. I do not believe in the thing that you believe in. And even without that thing, I still manage to live a life of meaning, hope, and happiness. There is no God-shaped hole in my existence.

Edit: And the person who thumbed up your post needs their head examined. You are thumbing up a completely illogical premise. Atheists by the very definition do not believe in a God. If you genuinely think we go around hating something we do not think exists then any conversation with you is completely pointless.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Oh for the love of crackers.

I show you the respect of accepting you believe in God. Why are you unable to reciprocate and accept that atheists don't?

It is physically impossible for me to hate something I categorically do not believe in. Do you hate unicorns? Do you hate Lex Luther? Cybermen?

It's a complete cop-out when theists claim atheists hate God. It ...[text shortened]... manage to live a life of meaning, hope, and happiness. There is no God-shaped hole in my existence.
Then why do you spend so much time arguing against His existence and trashing Him?

You’re right that I don’t believe in unicorns. And if someone did, I wouldn’t waste my time arguing that unicorns don’t exist. And saying even if they did exist, they’re terrible animals.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Then why do you spend so much time arguing against His existence and trashing Him?

You’re right that I don’t believe in unicorns. And if someone did, I wouldn’t waste my time arguing that unicorns don’t exist. And saying even if they did exist, they’re terrible animals.
Religion deals with all the important/interesting questions. (Existence, origin). You just have all the wrong answers.

But the big questions are human questions. Theists have no monopoly on discerning how we got here or what the future holds for our species.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jan 22

@fmf said
Q: Do we need God to make sense of life?

An interesting answer from Jordan Peterson:

Well God is what you use to make sense of your life, by definition. This is one of the things I learned from Jung. You have a hierarchy of values otherwise you can’t act, or you’re painfully confused. So you have a hierarchy of values and whatever is at the top of that hierarchy of value ...[text shortened]... n how God is acting within you, whatever God it is that you happen to be following.

Thoughts?
God is the creator of all things, set all things in motion, holds all things together by the power of His Word, did all of this and more for His purposes. Without God, we are left with whatever our imaginations can conjure up for an explanation, be it true or false, all of our worldviews will rise and fall with what we think about the universe. At the same time, God, who is the prime reality, is the only one that will not by definition rule out things like we do because we don't like this or that.

F

Moves
08 Jan 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Without God, we are left with whatever our imaginations can conjure up for an explanation, be it true or false, all of our worldviews will rise and fall with what we think about the universe.
The way I see it "revealed" religions conjure up different explanations about the universe and it's the Christian one that appeals to your imagination.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Religion deals with all the important/interesting questions. (Existence, origin). You just have all the wrong answers.

But the big questions are human questions. Theists have no monopoly on discerning how we got here or what the future holds for our species.
On what do you base your atheism?

Certainly not logic, as the existence of God cannot be disproven.

Is it just a feeling?

F

Moves
08 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
But how meaningful is something that has an expiration date?
I think life being finite makes it more precious not less so. People have innumerable ways of finding meaning in the precious nature of the opportunities life gives us. This includes people finding meaning in holding on to the nelief that life ISN'T finite.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
The way I see it "revealed" religions conjure up different explanations about the universe and it's the Christian one that appeals to your imagination.
That makes my point; our views are simply views, no matter what they are. We can view based upon whatever it is we go to for truth, be it some religious text, what people compile and call science, and it is still nothing more than us formulating our worldviews to look at the universe. If there isn't a creator, none it matters; whatever we come up with will be no different than someone else's views, just another opinion. While if God is real, as God, He doesn't require a study to look at all of the variables to see which one makes the most sense. A make-believe God would still be us, attempting to put another layer of validation on our views, it is true because my God said so, or the gods said so.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
That makes my point; our views are simply views, no matter what they are. We can view based upon whatever it is we go to for truth, be it some religious text, what people compile and call science, and it is still nothing more than us formulating our worldviews to look at the universe.
I agree.