Do any ideas expressed on this forum qualify as

Do any ideas expressed on this forum qualify as "evil"?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
05 Sep 22

The post that was quoted here has been removed
It's in the Book of Revelation.

r

Moves
05 Sep 22

r

Moves
05 Sep 22

F

Moves
05 Sep 22

The post that was quoted here has been removed
It's there, as clear as day, in the Book of Revelation. Google it if your interest is genuine.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Sep 22

@fmf said
Each person's moral compass ~ their unique conscience, character, self-governance system ~ is internal to each of them and it is theirs alone as are their opinions and their moral perceptions, their moral decisions and their accountability for their moral actions. Of course, it is "internal to you"! What else would you expect? An app on your phone?
I agree, so if your moral compass is always pointing to you, how would you know
about evil, its no different than a real compass if everyone were carrying one and
all of them were pointing in different directions, would we think there was an issue
with the direction north or something was wrong with the compasses, you cannot
have it both ways.

F

Moves
05 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
about evil
My moral compass isn't "always pointing" to me.

But it does tell me what is "evil" through a process that is the same as how your moral compass tells you what is "evil".

Moves
05 Sep 22

@divegeester said
Earlier you asked FMF “how would you know [what’s right or wrong] if your moral compass only point to things you like?”

In light of that question to FMF I’m asking you again…

Does your moral compass point to anything you don’t like?
Are you avoiding responding to my question KellyJay?

F

Moves
05 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
its no different than a real compass if everyone were carrying one and
all of them were pointing in different directions
A moral compass is different from "a real compass". Both are instruments used for navigation, but a moral compass is oriented by nature and nurture, whereas a "real" compass is oriented by magnetic waves. "Moral compass" is a metaphor, KellyJay.

F

Moves
05 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
about evil, its no different than a real compass if everyone were carrying one and
all of them were pointing in different directions, would we think there was an issue
have it both ways.
how would you know about evil

How do I know about evil? Well, I am a sentient, educated and well-raised chap, KellyJay. Aren't you too?

Our perception of "evil" develops out of how our environment and experience interact with our character and our innate conscience/humanity.

For me, "evil" is egregious immorality (as already defined in numerous previous discussions: doing harm, deceiving and coercing) and gratuitous, sociopathic action that is gravely detrimental and/or damaging to others, and which stems from an abject lack or even absence of empathy and compassion.

F

Moves
05 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
if everyone were carrying one and
have it both ways.
I am not "having it both ways". The evaluation of the morality of someone else's actions is something each of us carries out with the aid of our unique moral compasses. We are not androids. We do not all have identical personality, character, and conscience programmes installed in us.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Sep 22

@fmf said
My moral compass isn't "always pointing" to me.

But it does tell me what is "evil" through a process that is the same as how your moral compass tells you what is "evil".
It's not on a fixed point, it is always what you find agreeable to you or do you have
a compass fixed point that is outside of you?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Sep 22

@fmf said
I am not "having it both ways". The evaluation of the morality of someone else's actions is something each of us carries out with the aid of our unique moral compasses. We are not androids. We do not all have identical personality, character, and conscience programmes installed in us.
So how would know evil, if everyone sees it differently?

F

Moves
05 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
It's not on a fixed point, it is always what you find agreeable to you or do you have
No, you're right. We don't all have a "fixed point", although civil and criminal laws do amount to something like that. Morality isn't really about what we "find agreeable" once we get past the nappy-wearing stage, assuming we are socialized properly. Are you simply not reading/comprehending any of my posts?

F

Moves
05 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
So how would know evil, if everyone sees it differently?
Well, I gave you my definition. That's how I do my best to recognize it when I encounter it. You think calling someone a fool is "evil". I do not.

F

Moves
05 Sep 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
do you have a compass fixed point that is outside of you?

Well, our consciences/moral compasses are in our brains. So that's "internal".

Parents, spouses, families, neighbours, communities, churches, mosques, temples, schools, universities, workplaces, literature, history, scripture, and the laws and the courts ~ all create all manner of innumerable "fixed points" that are "outside" us which are then processed by the moral compasses that are inside each of us.