1. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Apr '21 22:26
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Poor God. It used to be so easy for him. If he kept the tornadoes, volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis away, people accepted that as proof that he loved them.

Now they surged from 1 to 7 billion people in a mere 100 years; they conquered most of the plagues that used to kill large swaths of them, and they're still not happy. Now, it is that no one must suffer, perio ...[text shortened]... e it all better, all the time, for all of them.

Can even omnipotence manage such a hopeless task?
    With several billion civilizations all over the universe to manage its a big task even for God. So what God does is provide each planet with a timeline when certain things get done. God is interested in macro matter. Micro-rmanaging is in the hands of the angels.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '21 03:53
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Poor God. It used to be so easy for him. If he kept the tornadoes, volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis away, people accepted that as proof that he loved them.

Now they surged from 1 to 7 billion people in a mere 100 years; they conquered most of the plagues that used to kill large swaths of them, and they're still not happy. Now, it is that no one must suffer, perio ...[text shortened]... e it all better, all the time, for all of them.

Can even omnipotence manage such a hopeless task?
    7.9 billion and still on an exponential curve.
    We’re all doomed, religious or not.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    26 Apr '21 09:06
    @FMF
    Here's another 'Dear God' song, I like this one better than XTC's
    https://vimeo.com/8452017
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    26 Apr '21 13:15
    @divegeester said
    7.9 billion and still on an exponential curve.
    We’re all doomed, religious or not.
    From any subjective viewpoint, tens of thousands of people lying in hospital beds on respirators trying to breathe right now is an horrific thought. From an objective perspective, the population of homo sapiens can't keep on growing exponentially, there won't be enough resources to support it, and there will be checks, be they viral, genocidal or otherwise. If we can't collectively and consciously control the production side of things, which it seems that we can't, then other factors will have to deal with population numbers, consciously or otherwise.
    As you say, if things go on as they are we're doomed, Captain Mainwaring...
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Apr '21 15:00
    @indonesia-phil said
    From any subjective viewpoint, tens of thousands of people lying in hospital beds on respirators trying to breathe right now is an horrific thought. From an objective perspective, the population of homo sapiens can't keep on growing exponentially, there won't be enough resources to support it, and there will be checks, be they viral, genocidal or otherwise. If we can't ...[text shortened]... sciously or otherwise.
    As you say, if things go on as they are we're doomed, Captain Mainwaring...
    I think it is a fact that these doom and gloom predictions have been around for centuries ... .. if we continue to do this, that and the other we are doomed etc etc .. These things never come to pass. Mankind is resilient and things continue to be fixed. Even right now there is enough finished goods to feed, clothe and house everyone on the planet. The problem is that while one group waste and squander, another does without. All these things will be fixed over time.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Apr '21 00:19
    @rajk999 said
    I think it is a fact that these doom and gloom predictions have been around for centuries ... .. if we continue to do this, that and the other we are doomed etc etc .. These things never come to pass. Mankind is resilient and things continue to be fixed. Even right now there is enough finished goods to feed, clothe and house everyone on the planet. The problem is ...[text shortened]... while one group waste and squander, another does without. All these things will be fixed over time.
    "These things never come to pass" ... until they do.

It only takes one true 'doom' prophecy to end a species. Just ask the dinosaurs.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '21 01:54
    @bigdoggproblem said
    It only takes one true 'doom' prophecy to end a species. Just ask the dinosaurs.
    Who made what prophecy about the dinosaurs?
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Apr '21 02:43
    @fmf said
    Who made what prophecy about the dinosaurs?
    Wouldn't you like to know! Alas, I am keeping their sacred text to myself.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Apr '21 12:04
    @bigdoggproblem said
    "These things never come to pass" ... until they do.

These things never come to pass .. until God is ready to do it. Man is incapable of self destruction, neither is he capable of destroying this planet. That is wishful thinking. Man can bomb the entire planet with all the firepower at his disposal but the species will survive and so will the planet. A doom and gloom person is like a religious extremist. You can see them and smell them from a mile away.
  10. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    29 Apr '21 07:29
    @rajk999 said
    These things never come to pass .. until God is ready to do it. Man is incapable of self destruction, neither is he capable of destroying this planet. That is wishful thinking. Man can bomb the entire planet with all the firepower at his disposal but the species will survive and so will the planet. A doom and gloom person is like a religious extremist. You can see them and smell them from a mile away.
    I agree with you, I’m just curious what the checklist looks like to be considered a religious extremist.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Apr '21 10:04
    @mike69 said
    I agree with you, I’m just curious what the checklist looks like to be considered a religious extremist.
    Religious extremists use their religious books to justify / explain their sinful actions. Im pretty sure it happens in all religions.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '21 11:27
    @mike69 said
    It depends on whom you agree/disagree with.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 May '21 14:573 edits
    @FMF

XTC - Dear God (1986)

Dear God, hope you get the letter and
    I pray you can make it better down here
    I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer

Love that handy spam, huh, FMF?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '21 16:41
    @sonship said
    @FMF

XTC - Dear God (1986)

Dear God, hope you get the letter and
    I pray you can make it better down here
    I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer

Love that handy spam, huh, FMF?
    Based on the lyrics in the OP's tune, would you describe the singer as an atheist or a deist?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 May '21 16:521 edit
    @fmf said
    Based on the lyrics in the OP's tune, would you describe the singer as an atheist or a deist?
    I don't know.

But when I get in the mood to read something like this I often turn to the book of Ecclesiastes or better still Job.

I am all for going to God in prayer reverently yet pouring out your complaint or problem with Him or His ways before Him to get some answers.

Plenty of Psalms are like this. I myself have poured out my complaints before God a number of times.

As to the personal beliefs of the musician/poet? I don't know.
    A deist would not believe God cares.
    A theist would have ground to think God could be addressed as "Dear God" and receive some complaints about the world.

Its hard to beat the eloquence of Job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree