1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 17:492 edits
    Because the woman is called "The Mother" she is the original of many other entities like her. These entities are her daughters who also must be like her a Prostitute.

All the denomnations spawned by the World Wide Public Church of old, the Roman Catholic Church are seen as the daughters of the Mother.

"And upon her forehead a name was written, Mystery, Babylon the Great, the Mother of the Prostitutes and the Abominations of the Earth.

And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus.

And I marveled, seeing her, with great marvel." (Rev. 17:5,6)

1.) The Mother is a place of captivity where millions of God's children through the ages have been carried AWAY from their spiritual Good Land. So there is a great mixture in this Woman of unbelievers with believers.

2.) Because she is the Mother, she has offspring who are like herself. So it says out from her have been spawned [b}Prostitutes[/b] [plural].

This is the most historically old World Wide Public Church with the denominations which were spawned out from her in history. To one degree or another they usually carried with their departure some element of sameness in characteristic with the Mother.

3.) I use to the it was too harsh to call the Mother the Prostitutes also mother to the Abominations of the earth. But I now think that the most evil things done on earth are the things done with an apparent connection with the Gospel of Christ. Because the truth is perverted and passed with evil it is of all evils more so - "the Abominations of the earth".

4.) the Woman has been involved in the murder of the saints of God. Of course in history corrupted Christianity's inquisitions murdered many believers. Many Christians were killed in religious persecution.

The Great Mother of Prostitutes is "drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus.". This should mean the religious persecution and murders of genuine Christians by the Apostate Church.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 18:073 edits
    Let us not lose track of the big picture so far in chapter 17.

Two entities are seen -

1.) a monsterous beast
    2.) a woman riding on it.

The scene and its details are given to symbolize what we are told in the beginning of the chapter.

" ... Come here, I will show you the judgment of the great prostitute who sits on many waters." (v.1b)

What we are suppose to see is the judgment of the apostate prostitute woman of Christianity. The judgment is carried out BY the beast directly under the providence of God who allows it to happen.

And the beast who was, and is not, he also is the eighth and is of the seven, and goes into perdition. (v.11)

This is the Antichrist is is a part of the beast. He is the son of perdition coming at the activation of Satan. He and his kings will finally come to HATE the woman riding around on the worldly powers and turn to devour her, burn her up, and plunder all her riches.

And the ten horns which you saw and the beast, these shall hate the prostitute and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh and shall burn her utterly with fire;

For God has put it into their hearts to do His mind, and to come to one mind, and to give their kingdom to the beast unto the words of God shall be accomplished." (Rev. 17:16,17)

God judges the degraded apostate Christianity by sovereignly having the kings of Antichrist unite to destroy, expose, and rob the Mother of Prostitutes that has been riding on the world political powers.

But they also are united to oppose Jesus Christ the Redeemer also.
    These have one mind, and they give their power and authority to the beast. These shall make war with the Lamb. (v.14a)

But in the latter case Christ and His overcomers will overcome them and destroy them -

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings;

and those who are with Him are called and chosen and faithful." (v.13)
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 19:59
    @secondson said
    You just can't discuss it can you except to blurt about it?

You've wasted your time not studying the Bible.
    Well your the one tacking scripture out of context, getting called out for down it by the blurting unlearned like me and feeling all out of place because people here don’t cow-tow to you like th3 juveniles at whatever corporate temple you are a big-wig at on sundays.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 23:06
    @divegeester

because people here don’t cow-tow to you like th3 juveniles at whatever corporate temple you are a big-wig at on sundays.

Sounds like another writer. Better give credit.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 23:06
    @divegeester said
    The entire chapter is parable, symbolism and metaphor.

You are mistaken secondson. Scripture should not be taken out of context as you well know
    "The entire chapter is parable, symbolism and metaphor. Scripture should not be taken out of context as you well know."

Did you fail composition? Are those two sentences meant to be combined together to convey a coherent idea?

Well, they don't. There's no conjunctive thought between the two statements completing a coherent argument. Nor can there be because each sentence has an idea mutually exclusive of the other. They are incompatible statements.

You're blurting.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 23:091 edit
    @secondson said
    You're blurting.
    Do you like my “blurting” comment? You seem to be copying it quite a lot. 😆
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 23:12
    @secondson said
    "The entire chapter is parable, symbolism and metaphor. Scripture should not be taken out of context as you well know."

Did you fail composition? Are those two sentences meant to be combined together to convey a coherent idea?

Well, they don't. There's no conjunctive thought between the two statements completing a coherent argument. Nor can there be because eac ...[text shortened]... e has an idea mutually exclusive of the other. They are incompatible statements.

You're blurting.
    Your assertions are just that, assertions.

I have demonstrated to you that the verse you took and posted out of its contextual chapter, was part of a whole raft of parables and metaphors.

Please go and puff out your tough-guy, know-it-all chest down at Sunday school where the younglings will be impressed by your grey hair and big belly. Especially at this time of year.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 23:22
    @secondson said
    I don't think you asked me about metaphors.
    I did. I asked you this: if the punishment is destruction, and it is permanent, if the annihilation is irreversible, if that were to be what is real, would the term "eternal punishment" still be applicable and the metaphors still work?
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 23:35
    @divegeester said
    Well your the one tacking scripture out of context, getting called out for down it by the blurting unlearned like me and feeling all out of place because people here don’t cow-tow to you like th3 juveniles at whatever corporate temple you are a big-wig at on sundays.
    I've taken nothing out of context, but you have neutered the content by insisting on hanging on to the idea that because the context uses metaphor and symbolism that it has no meaning relative to concepts expressed with regard to the content.

As for the lies about me in you post above, again you have revealed the truth about you. You are a spiteful, bitter and judgmental hypocrite, which is probably why no one invites you to go to church with them.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 23:49
    @fmf said
    I did. I asked you this: if the punishment is destruction, and it is permanent, if the annihilation is irreversible, if that were to be what is real, would the term "eternal punishment" still be applicable and the metaphors still work?
    If if if.

Everlasting punishment. Not irreversible annihilation. Not permanent destruction.

Everlasting punishment. It never ends. Eternal life. It never ends.

Neither of which you believe in, which reduces your argument to nothing more than an exercise in academic futility.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 23:54
    @divegeester said
    Your assertions are just that, assertions.

I have demonstrated to you that the verse you took and posted out of its contextual chapter, was part of a whole raft of parables and metaphors.

Please go and puff out your tough-guy, know-it-all chest down at Sunday school where the younglings will be impressed by your grey hair and big belly. Especially at this time of year.
    All you've demonstrated is a lack of knowledge and understanding, and a penchant for making spiteful, bitter and judgmental accusations.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    04 Dec '18 23:57
    @divegeester said
    Do you like my “blurting” comment? You seem to be copying it quite a lot. 😆
    Why yes. Actually I did. Fits you just fine. 😛
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '18 00:01
    @secondson said
    Everlasting punishment.
    What is your interpretation of these words? What was wrong with the one I cited?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '18 00:02
    @secondson said
    Neither of which you believe in, which reduces your argument to nothing more than an exercise in academic futility.
    It's a debate and discussion forum. If a Christian is an annihilationist, is their argument "nothing more than an exercise in academic futility"?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Dec '18 02:0110 edits
    @SecondSon

I think you're going too fast for me.
    Matthew 24:36
    But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Is this not talking about Christ's second advent?

Yes. It reads -

But concerning that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of the heavens, nor the Son, but the Father only. (v.36)

Verse 36 concerns the Lord coming for His disciples. The Lord's parousia [English - "coming"] is a period of time likened to the days of Noah (v.37). The Lord's parousia will be like the days of Noah.

Verses 37-44 Are they not referring to events occurring during the tribulation period?

Pre-great tribulation.
    Verses 37 - 44 speak of a time in which the impending judgment of Christ on the world is NOT expected. These words indicate the world does not realize what is coming.

For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, marrying and being given in marriage, until the day in which Noah entered into the ark.

AND THEY DID NOT KNOW until the flood came and took all away; so also shall the coming [ parousia ] of the Son of Man be. (v.38,39)

A time on the earth when worldly people are generally ignorant, unsuspecting, unaware of Christ coming to judge the world should be a time before the dramatic disappearance of watching and ready saints.

So I would teach that this describes something pre-tribulation. The key thing is the ignorance of what is about to come on the world.

Verse 40 begins with the word "THEN". That means at that time. At that period of Christ's parousia - "coming" some ready saints are snatched away by Christ suddenly, unannounced, by surprise, without great warning.

THEN ... shall two men be in the field; one is taken, and one is left. (v.40) etc. etc.

"Then" indicates that while the worldly people are befuddled by the material things, with no sense of the coming judgment, some of the sober and watchful believers will be taken away.

This should be a sign of Christ's coming to the befuddled and senseless people." [Footnote 40(1) for Matt. 24:40; Recovery Version, my spacing].

I teach that this is the rapture BEFORE the great tribulation of three and one half years.

It looks that way to me. So how can you say that passage is about the rapture spoken of by Paul in Thessalonians and 1 Corinthians?

It is not that rapture. And I don't believe I said it was. On the contrary. It is a snatching away by Christ of watching, ready believers from the midst of a unsuspecting and totally befuddle world, drunken with the necessities of life to the point of total preoccupation.

They do not realize that Christ is coming to judge the world. This is as the people before the flood in Noah's day did not know what was coming to the world. What was coming was never seen before. So it is that the great tribulation to shortly come upon them is something no one has ever seen before.

The raptured in Matt. 24:40-41 is before the great judgments upon the earth during the great tribulation. But the open coming and collecting of the saints in First Thessalonians 4 and First Corinthians 15 are at the end of those days of great tribulation.

After this pre-tribulation (Matt. 24:40,41) rapture it is known that God's judgment is right close and coming on the earth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree