Christian Tolerance

Christian Tolerance

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
27 Dec 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
So why were there no cases of child abuse reported by the JWs for five decades in Australia?
There was, if you read the Royal commission report you would know this, but you haven't so you don't. People were advised to contact authorities and from memory I think that about 400 instances reached the authorities although this is not an exact figure.

F

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I think that about 400 instances reached the authorities although this is not an exact figure.
I have read that around 400 Jehovah’s Witnesses were disfellowshipped but you'd have to explain how this protected Australian society from those people. You say these 400 cases were reported to the authorities? Are you sure?

F

Moves
27 Dec 16

I have answered your question on mandatory reporting.
In your view, does the "mandatory reporting" versus "no mandatory reporting" thing affect in any way your moral obligation to protect children from abusers and to report serious crimes to the authorities?

F

Moves
27 Dec 16

FMF: So why were there no cases of child abuse reported by the JWs for five decades in Australia?

There was, if you read the Royal commission report you would know this...
The findings of the commission were that the Jehovah’s Witness organization kept over 1,000 reports of pedophilia within their religious group secret from the authorities and this was going on all the way back - five decades - to the 1950s. The JW elders never reported any of these incidents to the police ~ not a single one.

F

Moves
27 Dec 16

Anyway, robbie, got to get some kip. I'm more interested in the "no mandatory reporting" versus moral obligation question really. Maybe tomorrow. Good night.

E

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Whether it's a cheap comment or not is a matter of perspective. I cal it 'cutting insight'.

My question about 'Libtard Churches' wasn't for you, yet you felt the need to answer it even though you have never used the term (to my knowledge). Any excuse to have a pop at other Christian denominations is of course too easy a swing for you to miss. People i ...[text shortened]... urch/organisation that has harboured child sex abusers? Let's face it, there are plenty of them.
Harbor sex offenders?

Easy, house of sin and servants of Satan

E

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Would the acceptance of obesity fit also? Or is gluttony not considered as serious a sin as homosexuality?
Perhaps you could bring up scripture.

rc

Moves
27 Dec 16
7 edits

Originally posted by FMF
The findings of the commission were that the Jehovah’s Witness organization kept over 1,000 reports of pedophilia within their religious group secret from the authorities and this was going on all the way back - five decades - to the 1950s. The JW elders never reported any of these incidents to the police ~ not a single one.
This is once again a projection of your ignorance.

There was not 1000 recorded cases of paedophilia. There was 1002 recorded cases of what Jehovahs Witnesses term sexual abuse. This ranged from sexting between minors to acts of molestation. You are simply ignorant of the facts and that is why you keep producing ill informed and ignorant statements like the above.

That the Elders did not inform authorities is neither here nor there. It was not the policy at the time to inform authorities and instead families were counselled to do so. In many instances they did contrary to your ignorant claim that none were reported. Nor was there a deliberate policy to conceal anything from anyone, unless of course you have evidence to the contrary. You simply made it up because you don't know anything about the case and seem content to project your wilfully ignorance.

If I was you I would check your facts and it may save you looking like an ignorant duffer in future, but I doubt it.

rc

Moves
27 Dec 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
In your view, does the "mandatory reporting" versus "no mandatory reporting" thing affect in any way your moral obligation to protect children from abusers and to report serious crimes to the authorities?
A report to the police or other appropriate authorities will be made immediately by the congregation elders if it is determined that a child is still at risk."

http://watchtowerdocuments.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Child-Safeguarding-Policy-of-the-UK-Jan-2013.pdf

F

Moves
28 Dec 16

Originally quoted by robbie carrobie
A report to the police or other appropriate authorities will be made immediately by the congregation elders if it is determined that a child is still at risk."
Talking about "risk" in answer to a question about the moral obligation to report serious crimes that have happened does not join up. So that question remains dodged. Are your "congregation elders" trained in assessing and handling situations where children are at risk of abuse?

F

Moves
28 Dec 16
1 edit

There was 1002 recorded cases of what Jehovahs Witnesses term sexual abuse. This ranged from sexting between minors to acts of molestation.
And yet not one of the "acts of molestation" were reported to the authorities over a period of 50 years. Not even one. You say "it was not the policy at the time to inform authorities" which means that it was the policy of the JW organization to keep the authorities in the dark about crimes that had been committed.

F

Moves
28 Dec 16

That the Elders did not inform authorities [about sexual abuse of children by fellow elders and other members of the congregation] is neither here nor there.
Yes I realize this is your view. That's why I am more interested in how the "mandatory reporting" versus "no mandatory reporting" situation, in your view, affects one's moral obligation to report serious crimes to the authorities, so that children are protected, and the abusers are punished.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
28 Dec 16

Originally posted by Eladar
Harbor sex offenders?

Easy, house of sin and servants of Satan
An unequivocal answer if ever there was one. I wonder if Robert shares your view?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
28 Dec 16

Originally posted by Eladar
Perhaps you could bring up scripture.
The argument runs like this -

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Physical appetites are an analogy of our ability to control ourselves. If we are unable to control our eating habits, we are probably also unable to control other habits, such as those of the mind (lust, covetousness, anger) and unable to keep our mouths from gossip or strife. We are not to let our appetites control us, but we are to have control over our appetites. (See Deuteronomy 21:20, Proverbs 23:2, 2 Peter 1:5-7, 2 Timothy 3:1-9, and 2 Corinthians 10:5.) The ability to say “no” to anything in excess—self-control—is one of the fruits of the Spirit common to all believers (Galatians 5:22).

God has blessed us by filling the earth with foods that are delicious, nutritious, and pleasurable. We should honor God's creation by enjoying these foods and by eating them in appropriate quantities. God calls us to control our appetites, rather than allowing them to control us.

https://www.gotquestions.org/gluttony-sin.html

rc

Moves
28 Dec 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Talking about "risk" in answer to a question about the moral obligation to report serious crimes that have happened does not join up. So that question remains dodged. Are your "congregation elders" trained in assessing and handling situations where children are at risk of abuse?
If you read the document that I provided a link to you will receive the answer.

The document outlines the child protection policy of the brothers, their moral obligation to protect children and provide counselling and comfort for the victims of child abuse is readily available. I suggest you locate and read it and it will prevent you from fabricating these rather tedious and ill informed questions. I have no time to engage with people who like you are wilfully ignorant and make the most absurd accusation on the basis of your willful ignorance.