By works? Or not?

By works? Or not?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

Earth Prime

Moves
18 Apr 06
1 edit

I always thought it was not by works that we get to heaven, and several verses say that. But what about this from Mathew 25:

31 "But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will tell those on his right hand,'Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

35 for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, saying,'Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you?

39 When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?' "The King will answer them,'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' Then he will say also to those on the left hand,'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you didn't give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink;

43 I was a stranger, and you didn't take me in; naked, and you didn't clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn't visit me.' "Then they will also answer, saying,'Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn't help you?' "Then he will answer them, saying,'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you didn't do it to one of the least of these, you didn't do it to me.'

46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Looks like God has separated the folks by what they did or did not do for other people. The goats to hell and the sheep to heaven. Explain. Discuss.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by Coconut
I always thought it was not by works that we get to heaven, and several verses say that. But what about this from Mathew 25:

31 "But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd se ...[text shortened]... er people. The goats to hell and the sheep to heaven. Explain. Discuss.
Matthew and Paul didn't see eye to eye on many things.

f

Moves
18 Apr 06

31 "But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd se ...[text shortened]... er people. The goats to hell and the sheep to heaven. Explain. Discuss.
Its not the works that saves you, Its the Faith, and Gods Grace, However faith without works is dead, which means; you dont really have faith if your not doing works.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by flyUnity
Its not the works that saves you, Its the Faith, and Gods Grace, However faith without works is dead, which means; you dont really have faith if your not doing works.
So say I performed works equal to those Mother Teresa performed but I do so not because I believe in God but because I believe helping other humans is the right thing to do morally I would go to hell?

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
So say I performed works equal to those Mother Teresa performed but I do so not because I believe in God but because I believe helping other humans is the right thing to do morally I would go to hell?
Yes you would then go to hell, cause of the fact that you dont believe in God.

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
18 Apr 06

I would say that most people think that by ONLY doing right to other people could bring them into heaven without having to believe in God or by following ALL HIS RULES.

I believe that once you are a Christian, the things written in these verses must become part of you to help. It must burn like fire in your heart to be nice and giving etc etc.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
18 Apr 06

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
18 Apr 06

Well then I'd go gladly knowing that God was a right bastard and I wouldn't want into his 'self-righteousness squad' anyway.
Xanthos, why call God names when you dont believe in Him?
If you dont believe what Christians believe, please still have some respect?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by Nicksten
Xanthos, why call God names when you dont believe in Him?
If you dont believe what Christians believe, please still have some respect?
Why should I have respect for Christian's beliefs when at every turn I'm confronted by Christians showing utter contempt for anyone who doesn't believe exactly as they do.

S

Moves
18 Apr 06
1 edit

You forget, God invented morals, Xanthos, without a belief in him you're just an amoral automaton.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by Starrman
You forget, God invented morals, Xanthos, without a belief in him you're just an amoral automaton.
Worse than that, you automatically belong to the "atheist mutual admiration society".

d

Moves
18 Apr 06

So say I performed works equal to those Mother Teresa performed...
Now that's what I call a hypothetical question.

d

Moves
18 Apr 06
1 edit

Well then I'd go gladly knowing that God was a right bastard and I wouldn't want into his 'self-righteousness squad' anyway.
Satan takes people regardless of beliefs, sexual preferences, etc.

He sounds much nicer.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
18 Apr 06

Why should I have respect for Christian's beliefs when at every turn I'm confronted by Christians showing utter contempt for anyone who doesn't believe exactly as they do.
Contempt for everyone?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Contempt for everyone?
Once I realized that everyone was stupid in comparison to myself it was easy.