1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    24 Mar '23 18:50
    I have tried to be involved with the RHP Greeter Program for quite some time, but find it to be frustrating for the most-part.

New members are given the option to play a 'welcome' game with one of the 'Greeter' members, to help get them started and to have a member willing to help answer questions, etc.

I don't know what other greeters are experiencing, but the majority of games that I have been involved in end up just being deleted because the new member fails to make a single move in the game.

Perhaps greeters can have the option in the Greeter 'Settings' to play as White or Black, instead of just playing Black. If I am playing White, I can at least include a message about communication options with the first move.

Do any of the other 'greeters' have helpful ideas that would improve the greeter program?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '23 06:151 edit
    @mwmiller said
    I don't know what other greeters are experiencing, but the majority of games that I have been involved in end up just being deleted because the new member fails to make a single move in the game.
    Now why would lots of people be setting up profiles on a chess site and not using that profile to play chess. Hmm, baffling.

Thanks for the thread, which holds very interesting if unintended insight.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 13:21
    @mwmiller said
    I have tried to be involved with the RHP Greeter Program for quite some time, but find it to be frustrating for the most-part.

New members are given the option to play a 'welcome' game with one of the 'Greeter' members, to help get them started and to have a member willing to help answer questions, etc.

I don't know what other greeters are experiencing, but the major ...[text shortened]... move.

Do any of the other 'greeters' have helpful ideas that would improve the greeter program?
    Same here. What often surprises me is that people actually change thier picture but never make a move. I also haf´d the phenomenon, that people played another game abut didn't move in the welcome game.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 14:52
    @Ponderable
    I have also seen everything you mentioned.

I don't know if it would help, but I would like to see the option for the greeter to play White and make the first move. What is your opinion on that?
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 15:00
    @mwmiller said
    @Ponderable
    I have also seen everything you mentioned.

I don't know if it would help, but I would like to see the option for the greeter to play White and make the first move. What is your opinion on that?
    I think that I have put down some welcome message, I don't know (and can't check) if it is displayed.

Letting new players choose their colour could help in some instances, but if they don't move when they are white they won't realize that it is their turn when they play black and the greeter is not online to directly move.

The other phenomenon is of course people moving once and leaving (probably not realizing that it i correspondence chess and their opponent might not be online)

There it might help to give game predominantly to greeters who are online at the time. (I would be open to give my "night hours" where I am not expecting to be online).
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 19:35
    @Ponderable
    I have no idea of what a new member actually sees when they create an account.
    I assume they are offered a 'welcome' game with one of the greeters, but maybe it's just automatically done.

I'm not going to create another account just to find out what a new member actually sees.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree