Clubs consultation thread

Clubs consultation thread

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
16 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave 😛
Leaving and kicking will both make an appearance soon, along with private forums.

Do people want :

a) Members only can post, all can read.
b) Members only can post, members only can read,

My preference is a), but I suspect everyone would like b). If you feel strongly, please post here!

-Russ

I
Dadohalic

Finger tip talking.

Moves
16 Mar 08

So far the Clubs are great! I have already learned a lot about people here on rhp,
I might have never had the chance to speak with them prior to the Club system creation.

We are creating a new future.

Play Well & Have Fun.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by Lukerik
Put that pint of Guinness down and expand it NOW Russ!

Could you give us a rundown of what you plan to implement please? No worries if you don't get it all done, but it would be nice to know your plans. I'm particularly interested in private forums so I can introduce everyone to the community.

Rather wary of the ability to kick as this implies the ability to leave. For those of us with less the 50 members it would be a nightmare.
Things intended for phase 1 of this :

Rated games/tables - done
Membership - partly done (you can't leave)
Club Forums - incoming
Club tournament (not for non-subs) - incoming

After that, I'll probably let it run for a while and see how it goes, before asking for feedback on where people want to go with it.

-Russ

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
16 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Russ
Leaving and kicking will both make an appearance soon, along with private forums.

Do people want :

My preference is a), but I suspect everyone would like b). If you feel strongly, please post here!

-Russ
I know this sounds greedy/cheeky, but how many forums will the clubs get each ?

If 1, then a) sounds fine...if more, then a mix of a) and b).

I only ask because maybe a club could have a general, a chess based (for arranging games ?), and a specific forum. Depending on the number of members, i guess.

A

Amsterdam

Moves
16 Mar 08

Club Forums - incoming

After that, I'll probably let it run for a while and see how it goes, before asking for feedback on where people want to go with it.

-Russ
Russ, why did you have to create such a seperate thing as Clubs?

Why didn't you focus on improving the core feature of this site: Clans..

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
16 Mar 08
1 edit

Club Forums - incoming

-Russ
Russ, i don't know if this is a glitch or what, but the ratings bars on my ratings reads rather odd at the moment.

Rated games 3 club games played
Wins by color 1 (67% ) 1 (33% )

Games won/drawn/lost 2 (67% ) 1 (33% )

My wins by colour.....it reads wrong to me.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
16 Mar 08
4 edits

Originally posted by Amsterdamn

Amsterdam

PMing everyone to get them to post here is nothing more than rabble rousing. It's exactly what you did with the Game Mod thread, and you saw how much crap got slung up with that.

Kindly stop PMing people to post in threads, it's just not cricket mate.

Date: Mar 16 2008 21:52
Subject: Clubs?

sent to Clan Leaders

Dear Clan Leaders..

I've been watching the creation of Clubs and can't say that I'm pleased with the feature..

Curious about the opinion of other Clan Leaders!

Please add yours to Thread 88737

Thanks, xxxxxxxx aka Amsterdamn

edited to remove the name

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
Amsterdam

PMing everyone to get them to post here is nothing more than rabble rousing. It's exactly what you did with the Game Mod thread, and you saw how much crap got slung up with that.

Kindly stop PMing people to post in threads, it's just not cricket mate.

Date: Mar 16 2008 21:52
Subject: Clubs?

sent ...[text shortened]... 88737[/threadid]

Thanks, xxxxxxxx aka Amsterdamn

edited to remove the name
...dito

S

Moves
16 Mar 08

I've been watching this thread and watching people join the clubs. I'm not sure I really see the point, other than to throw non-subscribers a bone. I really have little opinion of someone who cannot shell out 30 bucks for a site such as this. I'm not opposed to the idea, it could be interesting, but I really wonder what spawned the idea.

mw

UK

Moves
16 Mar 08

I'm not sure I can see any advantage to being in a club.
As a lower rated clan leader I just don't see what it'll do for me.
The only possibility is that I can play mini tournaments against my non-sub mates.
I'm not totally anti, but I'm not convinced yet.

Martin

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
16 Mar 08

That’s great Russ. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Love the idea of club tourneys. Being able to do privates as a clan leader is great so I’m very interested to see what you hammer out here. The more ability the better as it benefits so many people... excluding the scum of course 😉

I do think club forums are important if we’re to cement a sense of community. I hope the feeling we get from them will guide clubs down the right path.

Your a) suggestion is interesting. I hadn’t considered it myself. Being able to see the feel of the club may well encourage members... especially when something annoying gets said.

My instinct was for b) but we have that with clans. I like being able to post stuff that won’t be seen by 100,000 people but I have that already 4 times over.

I remember when Boarman first invited me to join Planet Oz I was worried what I was getting into (and was pleasantly surprised) but open readonly access might well be a good thing in something that is primarily opponent rather than alliance based.

and RedHotTed

Red Hot Rebel Clan

Moves
16 Mar 08

I would have thought it better to just increase the maximum size of clans and improve on the way clan challenges are handled. For example being able to bounce a challenge in which all the pairings are OK but just the time out period isn't.

k

Moves
16 Mar 08

Do people want :

-Russ

Rated games/ ...[text shortened]... and see how it goes, before asking for feedback on where people want to go with it.

-Russ
About your first post, I would not care if it's a or b so much but b would be preferable. Others should raise their opinions as well.

I just want one request, and one request only. Can there be just ONE annual tournament that every club member can enter? All club members including non-subs. Please?

Also one question: I am a member of 10 clubs already, will it affect anything in a negative way?

Thanks in advance,

Kenan

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
17 Mar 08

Originally posted by Amsterdamn

I agree. Our clan, DUNE, is a teaching clan and allowing clans to have separate forums would be extremely useful. For example if a clan had only 4 forums like these:

General
Chess Opening Lessons
Chess Middlegame
Chess Endings

Then people wouldn't have to go thru 200 posts to find a chess lesson which was given about the Sicilian Dragon. The way our private forums are all lumped together it's very hard to find something from 4 months ago.

Arrakis

Z
Sci-Fi Clan Leader

Woodbridge, VA, USA

Moves
17 Mar 08

Well, I for one am glad Amsterdamn PM'd me. Before his PM I had no idea that clubs existed.

I have just spent a good amount of time reading what everyone has said so far. I can see how the club system could be good and complimentary to the features already available here and also how it could be a detriment. Too me a lot of what clubs becomes will depend a lot on the people who join clubs and the people who run the clubs. Thank you Russ for providing this feature!

I plan to go find a club to join and experience how clubs are.

I think it would be useful to have some club forums visible to everyone and some that are private and only for members of that club.