Clubs consultation thread

Clubs consultation thread

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c
'Sir' to you

Osaka, Japan

Moves
11 Mar 08

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
Kicking someone out of a club would be like Cancelling Mugabe's Golf club membership at St Andrews.

He was kicked out of St. Andrews.

He's still a member of Gleneagles.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
11 Mar 08

Originally posted by c99ux
He was kicked out of St. Andrews.

He's still a member of Gleneagles.
So that's what it was....I wonder how much of the national debt of Zimbabwe, is attributed to greens fees 😛

i

Moves
11 Mar 08

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
What you are saying is that game mods will not do their job, and instead tell a small group to throw the cheat out of the group and that'll be enough......It's groundless pap, my friend.
No, I'm not saying that. The game mods will continue to do their job; however, there will now be dozens of club leaders who are also attempting to perform the same function within their own clubs. Some of the club leaders, as luctruc points out, are already bragging about how "tough" they're going to be on cheating.

The problem with this is that the club leaders have no training, no fixed procedures, and no accountability. When the game mods are the only authority on the site when it comes to cheating, people can accept (most of the time) that if they don't agree with their decisions, they can take it up with Russ, and if he supports the mods, that's the end of it. But when the club leaders' judgment gets called into question, it's just going to lead to endless disputes in the forums. Accusations of cheating will be impossible to keep out of the forums because they're obvious from who is no longer in which club.

Even if a given club leader would like to just defer to the game mods, it's almost impossible to do; due to the secrecy under which the game mods operate, a club leader has no way of knowing if a player is even being investigated. Club leaders will find themselves under pressure from people who are saying, hey, the leader of Club X already kicked this guy out: what are you, soft on cheating?

The whole thing is just going to further the climate of finger-pointing and accusations that's quickly developing here. It's very important, IMO, to keep the decisions about cheating limited to a small group that has been given the authority to make them: namely, the game mods.

Now, you could say that any disputes are just going to be censored, and that will solve the problem. But censorship of the forums is a very poor mechanism. For one thing, whatever information is being censored always eventually seems to get out one way or another. It also just continues to perpetrate an unpleasant atmosphere in the forums, where people are constantly wondering why posts are disappearing and the whole place just feels like a police state.

As for "groundless pap": maybe you would be a little more credible if you actually formed an argument rather than just throwing out insulting labels.

r

Moves
13 Mar 08

Hi, I'm a new player, love the game. The idea of a club to me sounds great, just like a normal club you would have in 'real' life. My question is: how do you actually monitor if a player is cheating. When I think about it, it seems impossible for you as administrators to know if someone is cheating. And then I immediately think, what a pointless thing to do! What are you proving to anyone by cheating, where's the FUN in it. But I suppose I don't understand the mind of a cheater......

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by ronnieboy
Hi, I'm a new player, love the game. The idea of a club to me sounds great, just like a normal club you would have in 'real' life. My question is: how do you actually monitor if a player is cheating. When I think about it, it seems impossible for you as administrators to know if someone is cheating. And then I immediately think, what a pointless thing to d ...[text shortened]... eating, where's the FUN in it. But I suppose I don't understand the mind of a cheater......
It's not the job of the club leader to monitor for cheating, and that is where the mistake is being made here.

Phlabibit was a game Mod before they disbanded, and may be after they are regrouped. That is why he can say what he would do about game moderation.
The average club leader is an average player, and has no part in the game moderation process, except from alerting anyone he suspects of cheating. This is a right afforded to everyone, not just a club leader.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
14 Mar 08
1 edit

Russ, can clubs have a siege area with say 12 or so boards to compete for?

Please also create a club forum so the hard-core clan lovorz can pretend they don't exist more easily.

P-

l

Moves
14 Mar 08

Originally posted by ronnieboy
Hi, I'm a new player, love the game. The idea of a club to me sounds great, just like a normal club you would have in 'real' life. My question is: how do you actually monitor if a player is cheating. When I think about it, it seems impossible for you as administrators to know if someone is cheating. And then I immediately think, what a pointless thing to d ...[text shortened]... eating, where's the FUN in it. But I suppose I don't understand the mind of a cheater......
Actually, "real life" clubs play in matches against other clubs, so what you're after is a RHP clan, not a RHP club. And none of this business of monitoring cheaters that the clubs are expected to do.

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
14 Mar 08

Originally posted by luctruc
Actually, "real life" clubs play in matches against other clubs, so what you're after is a RHP clan, not a RHP club. And none of this business of monitoring cheaters that the clubs are expected to do.
I think this whole game mod/club admin idea has been created by mini-Napoleons who want this kind of power. Your average admin does not have the ability to moderate games and I would imagine most kickings from clubs will result from extreme offensiveness in the forum or politics.

If I were expected to moderate games - something I don't believe admin have suggested - I never would have started one.

I welcome the chance to be a part of something that crosses clan boundaries without erasing them. The feature is so new it'll literally be what we make of it. I like that I can have people in my club that would perhaps never meet if clans were the only affiliation possible. I also like that I can form an affiliation with non subscribers with whom I play regularly.

Start a clan and make of it what you will or have done with it. I like the fact that I have a whole nother button to click and I intend to keep clicking it until RSI sets in.

Up with the extra Button to Click!

n
The Conductor

With the band

Moves
14 Mar 08

Originally posted by adramforall
Which is why it would be better based on the rating when the game starts and not when it ends.

If you play a 2000 rated player who dropped to 1200 via timeouts and then played as a 2000 player they would take far more points off you for winning than they deserved.

You would also not get the benefit of the points you deserved if you beat them.

...[text shortened]... when the match started were taken into account then you would both get the points you deserved.
If I were to enter an OTB tournament my rating would be calculated based upon what my opponent's rating was at the beginning of the game, not after. Of course, RHP is a bit different because people play multiple games at the same time. I agree that end ratings need to be based upon ratings at the beginning of the game. It could speed play up as the rating calculation wouldn't change throughout the game; you know exactly how much your rating will change based upon a win or loss at every move. There would be no point to wait until an opponent's rating suits you.

np

I
Dadohalic

Finger tip talking.

Moves
15 Mar 08

Originally posted by Lukerik
I welcome the chance to be a part of something that crosses clan boundaries without erasing them. The feature is so new it'll literally be what we make of it. I like that I can have people in my club that would perhaps never meet if clans were the only affiliation possible. I also like that I can form an affiliation with non subscribers with whom I play ...[text shortened]... a clan and make of it what you will or have done with it.
Up with the extra Button to Click!
Nicely put!

I read through this thread to learn about the New CLUB system.

I would have liked to have not had to read the posts about the banned players. It has no merit in this discussion and will only help to confuse what we are all trying to develop.

This thread should be gone through and split into two.

I am very excited about this project.

Play Well & Have Fun!
G

t

Moves
15 Mar 08

It would be nice to have a way to get to the club(s) page(s) easily without having to drill through the list of clubs.

Thx

A

Amsterdam

Moves
15 Mar 08

Russ, when will the feature be available to kick ppl out of the club?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by Amsterdamn
Russ, when will the feature be available to [b]kick ppl out of the club?[/b]
I'll be expanding it further late next week.

-Russ

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by Russ
I'll be expanding it further late next week.

-Russ
Put that pint of Guinness down and expand it NOW Russ!

Could you give us a rundown of what you plan to implement please? No worries if you don't get it all done, but it would be nice to know your plans. I'm particularly interested in private forums so I can introduce everyone to the community.

Rather wary of the ability to kick as this implies the ability to leave. For those of us with less the 50 members it would be a nightmare.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by Lukerik
Put that pint of Guinness down and expand it NOW Russ!

Could you give us a rundown of what you plan to implement please? No worries if you don't get it all done, but it would be nice to know your plans. I'm particularly interested in private forums so I can introduce everyone to the community.

Rather wary of the ability to kick as this implies the ability to leave. For those of us with less the 50 members it would be a nightmare.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave 😛