1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 09:42
    I'm documenting this upcoming feature here, as I have had to retype this a number of times recently, so just as a reference :

When people sign up to RHP using social media (which encourages "real world" names) they often do not want to continue to using their real world name here too, which is understandable.

Therefore, it will soon be possible for new users to change their name on arrival. (Account under one month old, name can be changed once.). The player's profile will indicate a recent name change, but not what the previous name was.

Beyond this, if a player is a subscriber, they can change their name once per year, their profile will indicate the account name has been changed, BUT the profile will list the old name too for one month.

This should mitigate against the reason we dislike changing account names - the confusion over "I was playing X, now I only have a game with Y"
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 12:39
    @Russ
    Wouldn't it be simpler to just keep it the way it has been for twenty years.

I would suggest that instead of changing the site policy, just simply add a very visible statement in the signup process that clearly warns a new member to take some extra time in selecting their username, because once selected that name cannot ever be changed.
  3. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 02:33
    "Wouldn't it be simpler to just keep it the way it has been for twenty years?"

No.

This is not 2001. The world has changed and kudos to @Russ for changing with his customers.

A
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 09:52
    @Russ

Do I correctly presume that game archives, ratings, posting history, clan memberships, etc. etc. will all be automatically carried over to a renamed account?
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 09:54
    @moonbus

Yes, everything is tied to a "user id", so updating a name will change it everywhere, throughout time and space. 😉
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 12:52
    @russ said
    @moonbus

Yes, everything is tied to a "user id", so updating a name will change it everywhere, throughout time and space. 😉
    In all possible universes, across multiple Meinong Dimensions, too? You're a genius, Russ.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 13:23
    @moonbus said
    In all possible universes, across multiple Meinong Dimensions, too?
    Meinong Dimensions? I only understand x, y and z...so no can't guarantee that one.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 13:54
    @russ said
    Meinong Dimensions? I only understand x, y and z...so no can't guarantee that one.
    I paste something from the Wikipedia (since I can't put it better) about a philosophical concept of Alexius von Meinong:

Types of objects

Meinong holds that objects can be divided into three categories on the basis of their ontological status. Objects may have one of the following three modalities of being and non-being:[23]:37–52

Existence (Existenz, verb: existieren), or actual reality (Wirklichkeit), which denotes the material and temporal being of an object
    Subsistence (Bestand, verb: bestehen), which denotes the being of an object in a non-temporal sense.
    Absistence or being-given (Gegebenheit, as in the German use es gibt, i.e. "there are", "it is given"😉, which denotes being an object but not having being.

Certain objects can exist (mountains, birds, etc.); others cannot in principle ever exist, such as the objects of mathematics (numbers, theorems, etc.): such objects simply subsist. Finally, a third class of objects cannot even subsist, such as impossible objects (e.g. square circle, wooden iron, etc.). Being-given is not a minimal mode of being, because it is not a mode of being at all. Rather, to be "given" is just to be an object. Being-given, termed "absistence" by J. N. Findlay, is better thought of as a mode of non-being than as a mode of being.[24] Absistence, unlike existence and subsistence, does not have a negation; everything absists. (Note that all objects absist, while some subset of these subsist, of which a yet-smaller subset exist.) The result that everything absists allows Meinong to deal with our ability to affirm the non-being (Nichtsein) of an object. Its absistence is evidenced by our act of intending it, which is logically prior to our denying that it has being.[25]
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 14:012 edits
    @Russ

A reference to Alexius Meinong, Austrian philosopher active at the turn of the 20th century, who maintained that since non-existent things can be referred to, and since truths can be asserted about them, they must have some sort of being, which he termed sosein ("being so" ). A unicorn and Pegasus are both non-beings; yet it's true that unicorns have horns and pegasi have wings. Thus, he maintained, non-existent things like unicorns, square circles, and suchlike must exist in some other (Meinong) dimension.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 14:321 edit
    I'll stick to my multidimensional arrays, and leave that stuff to the academics.
  11. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 08:491 edit
    @moonbus

So when I say "my farts rule"
    They actually do in another dimension?

I wonder if he is a peaceful ruler or a tyrant 🤔
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 Mar '21 17:45
    @russ said
    Therefore, it will soon be possible for new users to change their name on arrival. (Account under one month old, name can be changed once.). The player's profile will indicate a recent name change, but not what the previous name was.
    This will be released tomorrow.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 09:20
    This is now live, as described in the opening post.

When viewing a players 'full' profile (not the "pop up" type) the name changes are listed for 30 days. New user's name updates are considered private as they most often contain "real world" names that they want to remove.
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 09:48
    @phil-a-dork said
    @moonbus

So when I say "my farts rule"
    They actually do in another dimension?

I wonder if he is a peaceful ruler or a tyrant 🤔
    It is a case of Absistence (Gegebenheit). You can think that, so it has some kind of reality.
  15. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    11 Mar '21 14:07
    @moonbus said
    @Russ

A reference to Alexius Meinong, Austrian philosopher active at the turn of the 20th century, who maintained that since non-existent things can be referred to, and since truths can be asserted about them, they must have some sort of being, which he termed sosein ("being so" ). A unicorn and Pegasus are both non-beings; yet it's true that unicorns have horns and ...[text shortened]... ent things like unicorns, square circles, and suchlike must exist in some other (Meinong) dimension.
    "Thus, he maintained, non-existent things like unicorns, square circles, and suchlike must exist in some other (Meinong) dimension."
    Perhaps you should post this in the philosophia club forum and see what the others think
    I know you are a member.
    Personally I would disagree with the word "must"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree