uncaused events

uncaused events

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
17 Jun 17
2 edits

Originally posted by apathist
^^^
I was wondering how to define intellectual dishonesty.
you are terrible at defining 'free will' and we don't want another terrible so I strongly recommend for all our sake you stop wondering right now!

h

Moves
17 Jun 17
6 edits

Since the world is not classical, what set of rules are we using?
nonclassical;

Classical is;
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/classical-physics
"..Classical physics
Physics that does not make use of quantum mechanics or the theory of relativity.
..."
-and classic physics in this modern age means just Newtonian physics. But Newtonian physics fails to predict accurately for the vary small and the very fast.

Nonclassical physics is physics that consists of quantum physics and relativity. The physical laws and equations of quantum physics and relativity give the new set of rules we are using because those rules DO predict accurately for the vary small and the very fast.

The above is common knowledge.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
17 Jun 17

Originally posted by humy
nonclassical;...

The above is common knowledge.
Yes. So events are probabilistic, and no events are 'uncaused'.

h

Moves
17 Jun 17
4 edits

and no events are 'uncaused'.
modern physics doesn't say one what or the other whether a quantum outcome being exactly what it is rather than some other possible outcome can be truly 'uncaused'. Whether something can be truly 'uncaused' or never so is currently just pure speculation thus not based on scientific method thus not based on any science.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
17 Jun 17

modern physics doesn't say one what or the other whether a quantum outcome being exactly what it is rather than some other possible outcome can be truly 'uncaused'.
If events can be uncaused, then science has no business.

h

Moves
17 Jun 17
4 edits

If events can be uncaused, then science has no business.
clearly false. Why cannot scientific method and therefore science deal with quantum physics probabilities? (like it validly already has else your computer wouldn't work) + What is stopping science dealing with those events that DO have a known cause? Nobody is claiming ALL events are causeless!

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
17 Jun 17

clearly false. Why cannot scientific method and therefore science deal with quantum physics probabilities? ...
It can. It cannot deal with uncaused events.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
17 Jun 17

Originally posted by humy.... Nobody is claiming ALL events are causeless!
ANY uncaused events changes everything.

h

Moves
17 Jun 17
2 edits

It can. It cannot deal with uncaused events.
clearly false; a hypothetical causeless event can nevertheless have a probability. Science can and often does deal with probability. Haven't you ever heard of the science of statistics? or the science of applied quantum mechanics?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
17 Jun 17

a hypothetical causeless event can nevertheless have a probability...
wtf? You are very confused.

h

Moves
17 Jun 17
5 edits

wtf? You are very confused.
what is so 'confusing' about a particular outcome, whether it is causeless or has a hidden cause, having a probability?
You do know what is a "probability", right? If not, throw a dice a few times and try and predict the outcome to clear up that confusion of yours.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
17 Jun 17
1 edit

what is so 'confusing' about a particular outcome, whether it is causeless or has a hidden cause, having a probability?
You do know what is a "probability", right? If not, throw a dice a few times and try and predict the outcome to clear up that confusion of yours.
I'm not about probability, right, and you are super sharp.

What I said, stands. I give you a helping hand up.

h

Moves
18 Jun 17
4 edits

I'm not talking about probability, (your bad grammar corrected)
your claim was;

"If events can be uncaused, then science has no business. ... It cannot deal with uncaused events." (from two different posts about the same thing)

But I then explain 'uncaused',events can nevertheless have PROBABILITIES and science CAN deal with probabilities therefore science CAN deal with any hypothetically 'uncaused',events.
Both quantum physics and the science of statistics are examples of sciences that deal with probabilities thus proving that, REGARDLESS of whether some events are caused or causeless, science CAN and DOES deal with such events.
So you may want to avoid talking about probabilities but, sorry! probabilities is what it is all about!
In particular, quantum physics not only deals with events with probabilities but doesn't assume any known cause to some of those events but deals with them nevertheless; proof it doesn't matter if they are causeless, science would deal with them anyway providing they have probabilities.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Jun 17

clearly false. Why cannot scientific method and therefore science deal with quantum physics probabilities? (like it validly already has else your computer wouldn't work) + What is stopping science dealing with those events that DO have a known cause? Nobody is claiming ALL events are causeless!
Can you hear yourself?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Jun 17

"If events can be uncaused, then science has no business. ..."
If things happen for no reason, then science has no grasp. This is news for you.