1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '22 07:31
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    One thing would have been rust, iron is present on the surface of Earth all over, more O2, some of that would convert iron dust to rust, Iron Oxide.

But you would not be caught dead actually reading a science book on ancient air though would you?
    Do you think that is enough to explain it? We build a lot of things out of iron like the steel in our automobiles. They rust a lot, especially where it snows a lot and salt is put on the roads. Are oxygen levels dropping?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Nov '22 15:15
    @Metal-Brain
    O2 levels have CLEARLY dropped from the max millions of years ago, so do a little research on your own rather than asking technicians and musicians these kind of questions.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '22 22:48
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    O2 levels have CLEARLY dropped from the max millions of years ago, so do a little research on your own rather than asking technicians and musicians these kind of questions.
    How do you know those estimates are accurate? You still have not explained where all that O2 went. If the estimates are accurate what is keeping us from reaching higher O2 levels than we have now?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '22 18:39
    @Metal-Brain
    Yeah, all my DECADES of work on atmospheric O2 levels clearly shows O2 levels have dropped. Did your Phd thesis show anything different?
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 02:40
    @sonhouse
    If the estimates are accurate what is keeping us from reaching higher O2 levels than we have now?
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 11:25
    @metal-brain said
    Seriously folks, where did the extra oxygen come from and where did it go? Fossil fuels don't contain oxygen so where did it go? How can atmospheric oxygen levels drop from 30% to 21%? CO2 contains oxygen, but CO2 levels are far too low for it to have gone there.

Could the 30% estimate be wrong?
    Err lots more forests producing lots more oxygen, why would you think that 21% is the magic number for supporting life or that oxygen levels are restricted to 21% just because they happen to be that level now.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '22 12:18
    @kevcvs57 said
    Err lots more forests producing lots more oxygen, why would you think that 21% is the magic number for supporting life or that oxygen levels are restricted to 21% just because they happen to be that level now.
    Where did the 9% O2 go to reduce it to 21%?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '22 07:491 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    Is it just me or did that question make limited sense? You really need to recheck your meds. You can consider drugs like melatonin which is actually a hormone and can do bad things as well as good, or maybe Previgen, yeah, that'l do er..
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Nov '22 16:29
    @metal-brain said
    Where did the 9% O2 go to reduce it to 21%?
    Hey idiot it went when the planet got dryer and less verdant how stupid are you?
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 02:07
    @kevcvs57
    That makes no sense at all. Just admit you don't know.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 02:10
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Is it just me or did that question make limited sense? You really need to recheck your meds. You can consider drugs like melatonin which is actually a hormone and can do bad things as well as good, or maybe Previgen, yeah, that'l do er..
    What question?
    I asked where the 9% O2 went, not where it came from.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 06:55
    @Metal-Brain
    Here is a novelty, ASK a REAL atmospheric scientist.
    But of course you would not be caught dead actually asking a scientist a question like that because to know the answer would mean you would not want to keep posting here showing us all just how superior you are.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    25 Nov '22 16:13
    @metal-brain said
    After looking up the Griffinfly and seeing theories as to why insects never got that big again I found out that oxygen levels were high before the Griffinfly went extinct. I doubt lower oxygen levels is why they went extinct, but I was surprised that oxygen levels now are lower than in the past.

I always assumed there was a maximum oxygen level that is possible in the ...[text shortened]... en than today at the estimated 30% and drop to 21% now with only 0.04% CO2 levels in the atmosphere?
    You do know that it was the previous Carboniferous period that saw much higher oxygen levels with accompanying increase in the size of some insects compared to today.
    The way these insects obtain oxygen limits their size dependent on available oxygen in the atmosphere.
    The size we see now is the size that can be sustained with current oxygen levels.
    What exactly are you gibbering about
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Nov '22 01:56
    @kevcvs57 said
    You do know that it was the previous Carboniferous period that saw much higher oxygen levels with accompanying increase in the size of some insects compared to today.
    The way these insects obtain oxygen limits their size dependent on available oxygen in the atmosphere.
    The size we see now is the size that can be sustained with current oxygen levels.
    What exactly are you gibbering about
    Nope. There was a big insect fossil found in France when O2 levels were lower. The Griffinfly is what lead me to all of this. I did my research.

There are multiple theories as to why big insects went extinct. One is that they could not compete with birds. You also need to remember that dinosaurs were really big and all smaller land creatures were better survivors of the extinction event. Bigger is not necessarily better.
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Nov '22 18:531 edit
    @metal-brain said
    @wildgrass
    It does seem like the 30% estimate must be wrong. Unless someone can explain where the oxygen went I have to assume it was not that high at all. Sometimes the science is wrong. People make mistakes.
    The Permian was a 47 MILLION YEAR period of time. 10 million generations of dinosaurs. 3-4 well-documented massive worldwide extinction events happened during that time.

A lot happened. Again, to my earlier point, we need to be careful about geological levels of gases, which do not have the level of granularity to allow cause-effect comparison to modern climates.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree