Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Oct 22
1 edit

@metal-brain said
What do playing cards have to do with anything?
You need to do the research. You know nothing.
</sarcasm>

It's no different from finding mystical numbers in the Bible. It's nothing but confabulation, filling in a gap in our knowledge with pseudo-knowledge.

https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=116717

Moves
09 Oct 22

@metal-brain said
What do playing cards have to do with anything?
Nothing. That's the point. You're chasing after mirages. There is no coincidence there, there is no conspiracy there, there is no anything there. 137 is not significant, and you're just being obsessed with Capra-level quantum-mystic woowoo.

Your 137 is as significant as the turn of a playing card: not at all.

MB

Moves
10 Oct 22

@shallow-blue said
Nothing. That's the point. You're chasing after mirages. There is no coincidence there, there is no conspiracy there, there is no anything there. 137 is not significant, and you're just being obsessed with Capra-level quantum-mystic woowoo.

Your 137 is as significant as the turn of a playing card: not at all.
Who claimed a conspiracy? I think you have lost your mind.

Are you seriously claiming that world renowned physicists put that number on the wall for nothing? I think you are just a mindless nay sayer. I can bring up any fact and you will dispute it just for the sake of nay saying.

Normal people are curious about this. You are not normal.

Planet Rain

Moves
10 Oct 22

Seems to me that it's not unlikely for a physical constant to be "close" to an integer, if by "close" we mean "within one tenth of a unit." There only needs to be a 0 in the tenths place, which is one chance in ten.

Moves
11 Oct 22

@shallow-blue said
Oh, please. This is such Chopra-level quantum woo. That entire site should be deeply ashamed of itself, abusing Feynman's name for such pseudo-zen-physics.

By the way, you might not have caught this, because you're stuck in mythic-quantum-is-magic-land, but... we now know that the fine structure constant is actually one over 137.036, not one over 137 exactly.

("wHa ...[text shortened]... rature, where you've only read phys.org and misinterpreted even their Daily Mail-level cheap shots.)
Has anyone determined whether the FSC can be expressed as the ratio of two larger integers? I think it would be interesting if it turned out to be the ratio of two large prime numbers. And if the numerator and denominator were not both prime numbers, perhaps we could look for Angel Numbers in the factors.

Moves
11 Oct 22
1 edit

@shallow-blue said
That's half the number of cards in a full deck, so of course it can't be a coincidence. Mystic woo must be real. D'oh!
Jokers aside, some of my decks have 78 cards.

EDIT -- A strange coincidence:

A few minutes ago I went into the kitchen for a sip of Guinness, and the stove clock at that very moment said 3:17, which is not only the most Irish of numbers, but is also an anagram (ananum?) of 137.

MB

Moves
12 Oct 22

@Kevin-Eleven
Here is a good video explaining all the different things that have the same ratio or probability.

137 is the 33rd prime number.

MB

Moves
18 Oct 22

Most of the things you heard about Nikola Tesla are wrong.

Moves
18 Oct 22

@metal-brain said
Most of the things you heard about Nikola Tesla are wrong.
And this has to do with your magic number... what, exactly?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Oct 22

@Shallow-Blue
It's called POUTING. When he is losing the debate, he goes into a 10 year old's pout and then puts out ANY kind of BS just as a distraction.

MB

Moves
20 Oct 22

@sonhouse said
@Shallow-Blue
It's called POUTING. When he is losing the debate, he goes into a 10 year old's pout and then puts out ANY kind of BS just as a distraction.
Stop lying.

You lie when you cannot prove something wrong when you would like to.
You have Humy Syndrome. Whoever you hate is wrong even when they are right. If you hate someone they are automatically wrong in your mind until you have to lie about it.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Oct 22

@Metal-Brain
Right. Whatever you say COMRADE. Is that what PUTIN told you to say? I think for instance, you are WAY ok with the Moore case, you LOVE to see the chaos that would ensue when repub states can legally install their own fake electors to replace ones that say dems won X and Y, now NOPE, OUR electors say otherwise and THEY say repubs win AGAIN! Isn't that FANFRIGGINGTASTIC?

Moves
22 Oct 22

@sonhouse said
@Metal-Brain
Right. Whatever you say COMRADE. Is that what PUTIN told you to say?
And what, pray, does PUTIN have to do with Metal's magic number, again?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Oct 22
1 edit

@Shallow-Blue
Sorry, I was just commenting on MB's mentor. This 137 thing is more like numerology or astrology than anything to do with science as far as MB is concerned.

MB

Moves
23 Oct 22

@sonhouse
Stop lying.
Feynman was smarter than you. Wolfgang Pauli was smarter than you. Dirac was smarter than you.

They were not wrong, but you seem to want them to be wrong very badly for some reason. Why? Is it merely because I suggested they were right? Does everyone you dislike have to be wrong? Do you really think people you dislike are wrong 100% of the time?

26. That is way too many to be a mere coincidence.