1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 21:34
    What do you guys play against e3, what do you think is the best respone? Right now, I'm debating between c5 and g6.
  2. Belfast
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 21:37
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    What do you guys play against e3, what do you think is the best respone? Right now, I'm debating between c5 and g6.
    1...d5 and wait to see what else he does. I dont like 1...e4 as it allows him 1.d4 with exchange and his advantage with the slight lead.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 21:51
    Laugh at it! What a waste. Take control of the center. I would play 1...e5

If you play 1...d5 then he can just transpose with 2.d4 into a sort of queen pawn game.
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 21:54
    Rejoice.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 00:51
    I lost to it, should I still rejoice? ;p
  6. Seattle
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 05:51
    how? take center i personally love d5, even though it lets him transpose into queen's i would still do it...but then again i do love playing black in the Q.G.
  7. Somewhere out there!
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 14:40
    I prefer c5, you might get a reversed QG (I like QG with white 🙂)
  8. Joined
    08 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 16:19
    Annoy the player by playing a waiting moev ...e6 and see what they do.

Respond by playing either a favourable French or Dutch defence setup against 1. e3 depending on White's second move - that's how I handle it.
  9. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 16:41
    I say tilt the king over.
  10. Joined
    08 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 17:311 edit
    Laugh at it! What a waste.

If it is a strong player it would be an insult towards you for her/him to play 1.e3.

If it is a weak player, you have to prove to them it's a wrong move by refuting it. You can't just laugh.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 17:45
    Originally posted by Daevren
    [b]Laugh at it! What a waste.

If it is a strong player it would be an insult towards you for her/him to play 1.e3.

If it is a weak player, you have to prove to them it's a wrong move by refuting it. You can't just laugh.[/b]
    Here's one good reason to play it: to gain a psychological advantage. On move 1, you are either 'insulted', or forced to refute it. Nevermind the fact that 1.e3 is not 'refutable'. It's just not very aggressive. The objective response is to realize that it gives Black a free hand in the center, and probably equality, but nothing more.
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 19:40
    Originally posted by Daevren
    [b]Laugh at it! What a waste.

If it is a weak player, you have to prove to them it's a wrong move by refuting it. You can't just laugh.[/b]
    One of the masters at our chess club plays 1.f3 2.Kf2 etc... and castles that way before he does anything else, after of course moving the bishop and the knight and the rook.

I said it was insulting. He's a great guy but he does it just now and then because he can.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 19:501 edit
    I'd say play Nf6, as it still leaves him in the dark over what you are going to do, and also means he cannot transpose into a black opening.

I have used such a tactic before, when I played someone who I realised was playing a flawed line in his white repertoire. I had the white pieces, but played c3, and when he replied e5, played c4, and beat him when he went down the refuted line of the sicilian he had been playing...
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 21:43
    Originally posted by RahimK
    One of the masters at our chess club plays 1.f3 2.Kf2 etc... and castles that way before he does anything else, after of course moving the bishop and the knight and the rook.

I said it was insulting. He's a great guy but he does it just now and then because he can.
    It's a good lesson to class players who study and study just to get a slight opening edge.
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    31 Jan '06 22:17
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It's a good lesson to class players who study and study just to get a slight opening edge.
    Ya hehe. Actually we had this other 2100 player who was playing in a sectional and he wanted to prove that opening preparations didn't matter. We play a 6 player round robin against people in your section, 5 round and you get to know the pairing 3 days in advance.

So he said, I will play 1.e4 with white and against 1.d4 he would play X and against 1.e4 he would play X etc...

Everyone studied vs those lines against him, while he didn't do any preparations and still had a decent score in the sectional vs 2050-2350 players.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree